Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered a Trial for Position, but company rescinded

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Saul Goodman 91

I disagree. You people lack emotion and compassion. We are not on all on the Apprentice. Isn't it okay for the company not to be transparent though. "That's just business".

I am not going to allow myself to be bullied and gaslighted any longer.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP of course they were going to interview other people. No business just interviews 1 person for a role. In fact they could have even had trials planned with multiple interviewees. And they are under no obligation to inform you how many other people they are interviewing for the role.

You say that you put off interviewing for one role & potentially applying for several others because you were optimistic about this one. That is on you. Not them. I interviewed for 7 different jobs all at the same time when I was last looking. I didn't limit myself because I liked one more than the others or was optimistic about it. Because there was no guarantee of getting it. In fact up until I had signed a contract, I was still doing some interviews as it wasn't guaranteed.

The basics of it was they really wanted someone who could work in November. They might have been willing to put that off but someone else with the same skillset was available sooner so they went with them.

As for leaving sooner - leaving early wouldn't affect your redundancy pay if your employer agrees to it. Most it will affect is that you wouldn't get a salary from them for the month you leave (normal). However it does require your employer's agreement to let you finish sooner than the redundancy date. You can also use any leave you may have to shorten the notice period. It's all up on citizens information.

As for how you approached your potential new employer. I get what you mean about being honest but there are times when you need to play your cards a bit closer to your chest and decide when to reveal things. I wouldn't have let them know that you were going through redundancy but rather say that you were unavailable to start until December.

Look the hard truth is that the business in question were looking after their own interests. They're never going to be that mindful of the feelings of individuals who are ultimately not going to be working for them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You seem to have made an awful lot of assumptions on very little information...

The company offered you a trial, not a job, but on that basis you decided stop applying for other jobs and put off interviews etc... that was on you not them. A trial is just that, it might have worked out or it might not, it is certainly not a reason to stop your whole job seeking efforts on the chance you might be offered a job after the trial.

And it is not a question of emotion, compassion, bullying or gaslighting, it is a question of dealing with the reality of job hunting. This kind of stuff happens all the time, so I have no idea how you are going achieve your objective: "I am not going to allow myself to be bullied and gaslighted any longer.", beyond giving up the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

By the way, this rather ridiculous. There isn't a hiring manager alive that would judge somebody for hanging on for an imminent redundancy payment.

They may think it bad timing and go with a candidate who can start sooner, but they would understand why the person wanted to wait.

Redundancy payments are often significant, frankly it would be more bizarre if somebody left just before getting it.

Not to mention something that hiring managers already know, all candidates are after money...

Jesus OP, with such an attitude I cannot understand how you ever found a job let alone expect to get a new one…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:

And with that we'll put this thread to rest. I've been in discussion with OP via PMs and they have gotten advise on the situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement