Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Calving Cameras

Options
  • 07-11-2023 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone

Looking for advice on something thats been asked 101 times. I've read the threads but just wanted advice on my own setup.

I/We want to set up new Calving and Yard cameras that can be viewed on a mobile app. There is currently cameras that are fed to a monitor in the house, quality is poor and its the parents house, not mine.

House with Fibre is 300 metres across the road from the yard and sheds with a direct line of sight. I want to put in 1 PTZ calving camera and 2 stationary cameras for now, but hope to link further cameras on in future. Was thinking of HikVision as I want to do a decent job, as cheaply as I can but don't want to scrimp either.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could give their advice on what specific equipment and cameras to use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭staples7

Can do this very simply, no need for mad wiring or getting internet from home place.

Buy a SIM router, a data SIM card and an wifi camera eg ring camera (Plugged or battery)

All can be got in Harvey normans or similar, you will pay 5/10 quid a month on SIM contract.

Then stop contract after calving season or put to another location and use for security

I did the above for last calling season, worked a treat.

Anyone can do it.

We had an old calving shed with PTZ camera that failed every few years costing hundreds to replace. it was slow due to getting internet from house which required repeaters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭emaherx

Or just get a wireless bridge most will transmit 2-5km for similar upfront cost and €0 a month afterwards with no data limits so they can stream video at highest quality for as long as needed without worrying about credit.

They already have a fiber internet connection which is far superior to any 3G/4G/5G connection and 300m is nothing to even the cheapest bridges which can be bought pre-paired for simple plug/play setup.

Edit: I guess your old wireless bridge (repeaters) were old technology as they shouldn't be slow over a few hundred meters.

Post edited by emaherx on

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ceistamhain

Thanks!

Yes, I think I'd prefer to go the Wireless Bridge route over a Sim router.

Would I be right in saying that I would need a set of wireless bridges, a POE and then IP cameras and a PTZ? Any recommendation on those specific items?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Conversations 3

I bought an older version of this from Ali Express and the other bits needed.

It's still going strong 4 years later and is some job with the 30 x zoom, you can read the tags no bother.

It's hard to recommend the specific models as technology changes and my system is in place a long time.

You need the IP Cameras PTZ and/or fixed, the bridge kit and a switch for wired cameras or AP for Wireless.

A POE Switch is an option if you go for wired POE cameras, but you need to make sure all your POE equipment conforms to the same IEEE POE standard. Cheaper cameras use "Passive POE" and do not work with propper POE switches these simply come with their own POE injector and each one has to be powered anywhere between the switch and the camera (very long cable runs may need the injector plugged in closer to the camera than the switch).

I like the Hikvision kit, more recently gone for Hi-look by Hikvision which is their cheaper consumer grade kit, which I find still works well but lacks some of the integration capabilities for large security/monitoring systems like you might find on large corporate premises and simpler AI features for motion detection etc (so perfect for looking at cows).

Avoid battery cameras where you have power, I've a few Reolink with solar panels for security in locations where power is not practical, they work but have limits on how long you can view/record and are lower resolution have poorer night-vision (in order to conserve power).

I'd also avoid cameras which depend solely on a cloud service, as they will not work if that service is down, goes out of business or just decides that model is obsolete. Although a cloud service is the simplest setup, at least the Hikvision / Hi-Look have both options.

Bridges can be bought in pre-configured pairs, Ubiquity are the brand of choice for this sort of setup, but there are loads of cheaper options too.

I have 2 pairs of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KuWFi-Wireless-Supports-Transmission-Distance/dp/B07Z4R827X/ref=sr_1_3?crid=FH6QR7XLW59Q&keywords=wireless%2Bbridge&qid=1699436598&sprefix=wireless%2Bbridge%2Caps%2C65&sr=8-3&th=1

They work well for me, and no issues streaming 10 cameras simultaneously. They have an automatic pairing mode by I ended up setting them up manually for 2 reasons, firstly they all have a default WiFi Key of 66666666 which is obviously not secure and secondly this way they could be configured to act as a one to multiple WiFi bridge and also 5Ghz AP's simultaneously. So this setup could also work as an AP for 5Ghz cameras cutting out one device, but I use mine just for mobiles as coverage is a bit sketchy and my cameras are wired or 2.4Ghz. My distance is less than your 300m but I have one on TV pole at house and the others inside sheds so broadcasting through the galvanized corrugated sheeting which would be less than ideal but have no connection/speed issues either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭pms7

Hi,

yes recommend wireless bridge

currently installing similar system, 5 fixed

using these, good value

the ptz

poe switch

Tenda 01 can auto configure for wireless bridge.

If want I could configure and send package ready for install, I have a trade account with FreeTV.

this is a screenshot from phone app, the 2MP fixed cam in total darkness

@pms7 those cameras look good value to be fair, the OP should probably consider a switch with more ports as they stated that they want 2 cameras + PTZ now and more to be added in future.

I know you've installed a good few of similar setups at this stage, are the PSU's in those switches up to running multiple PTZs? or have you found any limitation on the combination of cameras v ports available? Max power output is likely shared across all ports so in theory with POE switches if there are enough larger devices (like the PTZ's) you could run out of power before running out of ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

do the wireless bridge need a line of sight to the modem?

No, a wireless bridge is 2 identical devices they will need line of site to each other over large distances not so much over shorter. Generally one will be wired to the modem/router and the other wired to the devices at the shed.

Wireless links between the modem/router and bridge are not impossible but should be avoided if possible as it only adds more potential points of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Is there much of a drop in download/upload speeds over the wireless bridge?

• Advertisement

Not significant enough to be an issue. Could be a big drop compared to local network speed if it's Gigabit speed but more than fast enough to stream multiple cameras, I've streamed 10 simultaneously over mine.

Considering most cameras will be relying on a cloud service anyway then the biggest bottleneck in rural areas will likely be the internet speed to the router.

Cheaper bridges will claim to achieve 300mbs max, better ones 1000mbs+ but real world setup if you can't achieve 100mbs then there is something wrong with the setup.

Roughly looking at being able to run ptzs on half the ports available. Fixed cams not an issue. So 3 ptzs need the 8 port, but check specs as each one could be different. But multiple ptzs on a farm would be unusual. Currently installing 5 fixed in a sucker farm as layout didnt suit ptz.

Hikvision is more well known, this is an article giving an opinion on Hikvision v Uniview.

I started using them as FreeTV were selling them very competitively. Bought a lot of stuff off FreeTV and find they generally sell good quality at good prices. Also went to demo/info meeting there given by Chinese guy from Uniview.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

I have two Reolink RLC-823A PTZ cameras in separate sheds. The sheds are about 800m from the house with plenty of trees in the way so I use a wireless bridge using airMax m2 loco nanostations.

I have one nanostation plugged into the router in the house and the cameras are plugged into the two receiver nanostaions on the sheds.

The internet in the house isn't great (3mbs) but I never have any issues connecting to the cameras or moving them. The cameras have infrared lights for viewing in the dark but also have a built in led light that can be turned on in the app. You can save points that the camera will quickly move to when asked.

I normaly view the cameras on a phone or tablet but I also side loaded the app onto a fire stick to view them on the TV

You can get them on a few websites including amazon.

I found this video useful for setting up the nanostations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

I have a reo link 4k PTZ camera too from previous recommendations on another thread. Bought for €169. Great job it's solar powered and mains powered. I charged it full with the mains then connected the solar panel. Over the full month of lambing I only needed to plug it into the mains once to charge it to full again. I bought a three internet dongle on done deal. And got a three prepay sim card. Didn't have any trouble with it. I live 3 miles away from the shed. It saved me the unnecessary journeys up and down like previous years. Total cost for camera and dongle was €210 plus the months Internet @€20 a month. Well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I bought 2 new Reolink RLC-523WA wifi cameras. The 4G router is struggling this year to run these (vs old Aliexpress 25e one i had previously).

I'm exactly 870m from the shed so i have a lot of trees and ditches to go through although shed is slightly elevated. I've bought these to setup a bridge which ill wire directly to the router but at the shed, can i connect to a router to bounce the signal around the shed (ive a number of different TP-Link 4G routers)? Or what do i need in the shed?

I've the same KuWIFi bridges. Out of the box they work as just a bridge, but if you login to them then you can setup the one at the shed to also be an access point. You should change the password as default is 6666666

They support 5Ghz only, so if you need 2.4 you can use your old routers as access points but will need to turn of DHCP and connect only to LAN ports. Don't use the WAN port as you don't want any routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭limo_100

Hi lads. I have just purchased a calving camera and I am having issues getting it to connect to the network it is a SIM card battery operated camera. I keep getting the same network connected message then it buffers and comes back it 4g not detected.

I got a world SIM card with the camera and I put the SIM card into my phone and turned on roaming and I am able to use this SIM card on my phone. Played YouTube make calls so SIM card is working in the phone anyway. Then I put my own SIM card into the camera and the Camera is connecting and working as intended.

When I put the camera sim back in I am back into the same cycle. Anyone any experience with an issue like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭big_show

How are people getting around the likes of Three with their CGNAT? I.e. your router only has a private IP address so you are unable to use the likes of DDNS to connect directly to the camera? I've a mate looking to setup a camera but his router is getting a 10.* IP address. does anyone know if the cheap Tapo cameras work with CGNAT?

Cameras with P2P support will work with any provider without inbound connections. Your camera makes an outgoing connection to a remote server and you connect to that. I'm not a big fan of these types of services on cheap Chinese cameras but they work.

Personally I'd go with a cloudflare tunnel, but it requires another always on device such as a PC or Raspberry Pi. Works essentially the same as above but Cloudflare would be a more reputable company when it comes to internet security.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Apologies for asking the obvious on this thread but could anyone recommend a ptz camera run from a SIM card that would be suitable for a lambing shed about 70 x 40 feet.

• Advertisement

are you sure you will have reception in the shed, what speed do you get on your phone there?

Ya the reception is fine. Not sure on speed. How would I check that?

Download a speed test app - ookla or similar.

Reolink are popular for solar/battery powered cameras and have a PTZ 4G version.

I've two fixed Wifi ones here, they don't have as good a night vision as my wired cameras, (presumably to save power with less IR) but they are OK for small sheds.

If you are not far from house, would you consider a wireless bridge instead of one with a sim?

Thanks. It’s an outside yard a couple of miles away so no WiFi available. Will have a look at Reolink options tonight.

Is there power there?

You also have the option of getting a 4G or 5G router then you can use any PTZ camera and have the option of adding more cameras for watching livestock or security without needing multiple sims.

Sorry, I should have said no power there either. It’s a temporary set up. I plan on installing a couple of solar powered lights there too.

Sounds like a Reolink like the one linked by @pms7 is the simplest option so, the solar panel is optional but you may as well get it.

what would be the minimum speed needed at the camera do you think emaherx?

Obviously with frame rate turned way down if you can

• Advertisement

It varies by manufacturer, some say as low as 1mb minimum others may be 5mb, but mobile/wireless speeds can vary significantly due to contention ratio, weather and other interference so you'd want to allow for that. I wouldn't be guaranteeing high reliability with 3G/4G unless speeds are consistently above 5mb.

Advertisement