Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland …. It just doesn’t feel like home!! 🙁

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dublin has many Asian markets. I was in one today! A supermarket anyway.

I dont think the lack of a Chinatown is proof of a bad food scene. Chinatowns are very 1970s. We have great restaurants and chefs here.

100% agree that lots of north city Dublin is a kip. Its a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I'm not saying it's perfect but it's improving all the time.

The Fruit and Veg market near Capel St is starting construction soon and should hopefully be a wonderful addition.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/dublin-news/restoration-of-historic-fruit-and-veg-market-in-smithfield-to-start-next-year/a456712189.html

St Andrews Church is currently being redeveloped to a foodie market.

https://www.fm104.ie/news/buzz/historic-dublin-church-building-to-be-turned-into-food-market/

No news yet on Iveagh market but hopefully something can happen soon.

Approximately 17000 to 18000 residential units have been under construction in Dublin since late 2021, so we're at a turning point. It takes about 2 years for apartments to complete, less for houses.

Lots of these are finishing up right now such as Sandyford Central, Newmarket, Cooper's Cross etc.

I know these are too expensive for must folks but the only solution is supply.

The Dorset Street area always was very run down, the the main part of Dublin City centre you’d encounter coming from the airport. Back in the 60s/70s my father was in charge of the SAM division of an engineering company that sourced and supplied equipment to the ESB etc, and he was often sent in business abroad and would likewise meet these businessmen/engineers at Dublin Airport and bring them to their hotels and entertain them as part of negotiations. Ballsbridge was generally where he booked their hotels, as he wanted to showcase the best of a then quite poor Ireland. Going through a then extremely grotty and rundown Dorset Street he distracted them by asking various questions, until reaching the relative grandeur of O’Connell Street.

Ironically the quays back then were very derelict, with many buildings rotting and razed to the ground. Bringing one of the German couples to see the Phoenix Park, they said “I hadn’t realised Dublin had been bombed during the war!”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

.....and whats been happening with that supply!

...in order for us to catch up with demand, we need to be building at least 50 - 60k units a year, we re currently struggling to get to 30k, our main government parties seem to think steady as you go will get us to where we need to be, oh and they dont exactly agree with the 50-60k figures either, so we re actually completely fcuked regarding housing for the foreseeable anyway!

I agree.

Read Ronan Lyons report just gone.

May 1st this year there was only 959 properties for rent in the whole of Ireland.

Right now there's 1018 available in Dublin county alone.

I know it's still too expensive but at least it's a turning point.

We reached the nadir of the housing crisis in 2022 and 2023, but it's hit a turning point and the only way is up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i follow the man as well, his and others analysis doesnt see things as rosey, its looking very likely for the remainder of this decade, in regards housing, we is screwed, steady as you go is gonna fail, and very badly, this means our government parties are also screwed, so be it i guess....

House prices have plateaued. Rents will soon, probably in the new year.

The population of Ireland grew 60,000 a year between 2016 and 2022, so in theory 30,000 units a year is plenty but obviously there's a huge backlog.

Dublin County's population rose 18,500 a year in same period, so 18,000 units a year under construction a year is actually a huge over supply but there's ahuge backlog.

So at least things are moving in the right direction. There's other positive factors too which I won't list such as supple chain crisis is over, huge over supply of office space in Dublin so all that capacity can move to housing.

It would be great if Putin died and the Ukraine war ended soon.

This would help with energy costs, inflation, refugees going home etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Iv been in Dublin the last 3 weekends. I honestly feel like a foreigner in my own country.

Tried to get a luas from heuston, packed

Tried bus, packed to the rafters

Tried taxi, was unsuccessful also

Walked through the city. It’s an absolute dump. And for the money people are paying to live here!!

Its a city for young people but other than that. Wouldnt live here if i got a house for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

where's an absolute dump, the whole city centre? did you not walk around any nice parts? parts of it are lovely.

i always wonder why irish people hate dublin so much. i mean galway can be filthy with rubbish and fighting all over the place but people go on about it being so amazing. i was there on a stag a couple of years ago and there were fights galore, mostly involving travelers from what i could gather, but still.

cork is basically a smaller dublin with the same problems, so many derelict buildings.

if you compare cork or galway to similar sized towns in france etc, they are also absolute sh*tholes. montpellier for e.g. has the same population as cork but is absolutely beautiful and spotless and has great transport links. i think aix-en-provence is around the size of galway, again, chalk and cheese.

dublin is just a reflection of the country as a whole, not the best examples of european planning and public spaces, but still a good place to live.

yes there is some lovely building’s & places to be fair, i think the biggest disappointing thing is that it could be & should be so much better. It has the potential to be one of the best citys in the world if they can get it right.

What kills it for me besides the obvious is just the architecture if you wanna call it that.

It’s not tieing in with the older stuff very well in size, proportions and style. Some of it does but there’s alot of muck.

Badly badly need a metro or underground to take traffic & cars out of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Agreed. Lack of good planning or any planning means urban areas in Ireland are terribly disjointed.

It’s a shame really, because there’s massive massive potential inside the city’s centre out to the canals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

the refugees are going home..... but just for Christmas. they will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

refugees going home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

People from the country have a chip on their shoulder about Dublin, and just can't get on without complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Dubllin is beautiful, the variety is unreal and it has everything. Cosmopolitan life and mountains/nature escape in minutes. I concede parts of the city centre and some suburban areas are absolute kips. Some of these places are the parts many people from the country tend to cross on the way to Croke Park etc. Generally, people tend to tar the entire county with the same brush. Yes, there are absolute kips and adequete policing is lacking. For a change, try Sandymount, Rathmines, Blackrock, Monkstown, Stoneybatter, Clontarf, Sutton, Howth, Skerries, Glencullen and many more enclaves!

The variety is unreal, it has everything. As a blow in I would have had the same opinions until I moved here and now I cannot see me living anywhere else.

Public Transport is absolutely shite though - not good enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

This certainly isn’t the Dublin I remember! 😭

I’m lucky to be from and to live in a nice south side suburb, but there are suburban parts which are depressing, and I will not go near north Dublin City centre unless I absolutely have to, well certainly not at all now going forward. It’s sad and terrifying what is happening to the city I was born in.

I mean for me ….. looting Arnotts a key household name in Dublin, is not the Dublin I used love! Full of scum now unfortunately! Really sad! Too much free money and benefits for these wasters ….

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m sitting here now..and this is not reactionary but if I could get the fûck out of here I would… this is not my / our country, I don’t recognise political or many societal aspects of it. Fairness and prioritising us is now alien to those we vote for and pay to work for US. If there was a war in X country outside the EU we’d be told again we’d be taking a back seat again. Deprioritised again.

my parents are now in their 80’s… in good health overall, both still drive but, in their ’80’s…

where can I go in the EU ? The whole continent is in a state and that’s only going to get much worse.

I could get into the US… I’ve no criminal record and a lot of family there. I could apply. Not demand, apply, ask.

so who knows…. I don’t recognise here anymore, also….the country doesn’t have my / our back.

our politicians are influenced more by people outside the country then their own citizens who pay their wages. That now is undeniable….

if a husband, wife, boyfriend or girlfriend stops listening to you, stops you being their priority… you say adios… it’s not a situation you can stomach/live with 😏… same with the relationship between us/me and this damn country.

It’s true, Ireland doesn’t feel like home, it’s just somewhere I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭francois

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Try find somewhere beautiful in France outside the cities to move to. No traffic, no scrotes. Warm weather. Laid back lifestyle.

Or Italy.

Stay off the internet sites that cover all the social problems and ignore them. That's my idea of blussm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Was in Dublin city center yesterday. Lovely place.

tbj ive been on there in the evening a lot during the last few months and its been feeling like it was headed for something like this. Scrotes everywhere getting away with whatever they liked. Hardly a Garda to be seen anywhere, sometimes didnt see one for weeks. Was always going to ignite.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Registered Users Posts: 4 myabrownn

I understand your sentiments about the changes in Dublin North side. It's disheartening to see areas that once held cherished memories undergoing perceived neglect. The transformation of old pubs and the presence of low-quality shops may contribute to this perception. It's essential for communities to engage in dialogue and collaborate on revitalization efforts to ensure the city's vibrancy is maintained.

I got a lot of agro for bringing this post up a few weeks back ….. I think the actions of the last 24 hours firm exactly what I stand by! And don’t tell me that 20 years ago it was better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We might have a few new apartment blocks but that’s about it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I mean who would have thought that years of letting absolute scum do literally whatever they want with impunity, while apoligising for them at the same time and letting them roam around stealing bikes, recording themselves robbing cars and attacking people, dealing drugs and basically whatever they feel like could end up here. Oh yeah and paying them to do it.

They are all just great little footballer anglez with no faciliteez

It’s a complete failure of government to anticipate the fact that human nature, in all its greatness and depravity alike, operates in similar patterns the world over. “It won’t happen here” has been the take on it. It was entirely predictable, anyone who has been through north city centre on any occasions could see it is a powder keg of a cesspit of antisocial behaviour in spite of so many great & de ent people living there.

Using labels per se is unhelpful, it is not a solution to utter “well that’s the far right”. That’s in fact a social cesspit that has been allowed to evolve unfettered by lack of policing, lack of heeding what will happen if it’s allowed to fester.

It is equally true that failing to monitor sinister individuals who come to this country and heed their potential for evil is the other piece of the horrible jigsaw. The government just let all this happened, and even encouraged it through abandonment of paying heed to the concerns of more centred people, and labelling them as belonging to the scrotes and scum that are waiting for any opportunity to escalate scummy behaviour. It’s a real own goal for the gov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if anyone is worried, its still good in D4 , lots of charm, no asylum centres, we dont need guns we just lawyer-ed up to the teeth, so the pen is indeed mightier than the sword

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement