Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland …. It just doesn’t feel like home!! 🙁

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Trains and public transport across Dublin is better. It might not be where we'd like it to be. But it is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Just stop with that..you are the one bringing that up.

I'm a bit older than you ..it's very likely I and others know this area FAR more intimately than you (do you even know the area at all) and the fact we have moved to different places experienced and seen and adapted to more change than you over a longer time period entitles us to a fair reading of our opinions too especially if nobody has said what they are accused of!!

I feel like you wouldn't want a lecture from me either..so give up the lectures to the rest of us especially people from the area in question who want to share their general feelings.

You have NO right to shut anybody down.

What's most noticeable is how much of the North central area of Dublin has NOT really changed for the better (personally I blame the national govt and DCC) even if the ethnic makeup has changed. I think very few of us are blaming the immigrants for that although I will stick my head out and say I am desperately disappointed , given the very large number of immigrants in Dublin at the general lack of proper Asian, European or Middle Eastern food run by immigrants on the Northside. :)

Yes I know 'Capel street' but the city in general including it's suburbs has a very poor 'ethnic' food scene. Why that is exactly, high rents, cost of living and running a business, or lack of discernment from the population at large , I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

Phibsboro SC is pencilled in for redevelopment alongside the new Dalymount. Hence the grubbiness as they know it's going. Phibsboro is turning into a hipster joint, property prices only going 1 direction. Would of been a great buy about 5 years ago, still a good buy today. Most if not all the bars still going. 10 years from now and you will be fortunate to get a 3 bed property in the more established nicer parts of Phibsboro for less than a million

I think next hipster joint is over selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Clearly you don't know what a hipster joint is. Phibs has a 3Fe now. Two doors away from a Two Boys Brew. Enough said.

• Advertisement

Opposite them are derelict and graffiti strewn buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭crusd

Hipsters heading into Bohs games with their Palestinian scarves and Limited edition Bob Marley replica kits need to have somewhere to have a 5 euro coffee and Avocado toast.

I'd assume the coffee shops are well closed at that stage.

You mean the buildings that are mid gentrification?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think the opposite.

I walked all along Dorset Street recently and it was buzzing.

It's become a real foodie spot. Particularly where it meets Blessington Street. Seafood, Italian, Brazilian bakery nearby.

Then I landed in Capel St and the same. Buzzing with people and lots of food options also.

Dublin and Ireland is booming right now, although obviously housing is a big problem.

I think the housing crisis has hit an inflection point also.

18,400 housing units currently under construction in just Dublin at the moment. Most of these will come online next year so I think rents will hit an equilibrium.

Ronan Lyons recent report suggested the nadir was 2022/2023 with available properties steadily increasing again.

• Advertisement

Capel street was always a busy street. But it's certainly got a boost lately with being pedestrianised etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Some areas are buzzing and some (Mainly North quays and 1 street beyond) are complete kips. A large part of north inner city Dublin is a toilet.

Moore Lane

Harbour Court Lane

Bachelors Walk

North Lotts

How this hasn't been turned into Euro style "off the beaten path" cool spot is beyond me

Nothing to do with foreigners. Purely piss poor planning by DCC. A shambles of an organisation.

This made me laugh though. From 1971! They've done nothing

These are just service alleys though. They're for bins, deliveries, pissing, junkies etc. You wouldn't open a cafe there cos nobody walks down them. Maybe in time they can be developed.

To be fair also Moore Lane will be redeveloped as part of Carlton site/Dublin Central.

I mean in general the city is booming if you look at the number of restaurants and cafes opening which is a sign of health. I know lots are closing too.

Energy prices are gradually coming down and inflation is coming down also, so if they've survived til now, they'll probably make it.

In my youth these were just alleys you'd use for short cuts. These days you'd need a biohazard suit and bodyguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

My first place away from home was on portland Street north. Loved it. Interesting folks.

Local was the Brian boru. Gobshite owners, but good staff.

Went up that are to meet a friend recently and it all seems so sterile. I don't know the correct word...but not the same.

Never had any issues and mad stuff happened, but I think it's lost a bit.

Nightlife and pubs have been quietening for years. Since the crash in 07 really.

It won't die out but it definitely peaked in the 00s.

The majority of students drink very little now or if they do, it's in houses.

I think young professional types go for food now as it's better value, albeit still expensive. We're becoming more European really.

I actually think more food in pubs is an improvement.

I'm not complaining, just saying habits are changing.

Alcohol consumption per capita in Ireland in 01/02 was 11.23, now it's 10.2.

So it's not a huge difference actually and we're way more multicultural now with Muslims, Indians, Chinese who don't drink much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

There are still more bars than there were a few years ago in Dublin and more opening.

We seem to be reversing the trend of pubs closing in the capital, although rural ireland is a different story.

Number of restsurants and cafes is really high and that helps give the city a buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

They should do the continental thing and give free snacks with orders. It would stop people getting messy drunk too. I like the Spainish tapas with orders, Dublin pub owners wouldn’t spit in your drink for fear of you getting a free speck of food.

There's lots of money swishing around despite rent and cost of living. Lots of people struggling too but many people in jobs like IT and other areas have plenty of money to spend. We've 3rd highest median salaries in the EU.

I think Tiktok does a lot to market restaurants and cafes also.

Most pubs do food nowadays whereas in the 90s and 00s, it was far less common.

Yes, very true.

Dublin is bouncing at the weekends and wuite often mid week also.

Great to see.

I was surprised. I walked the whole length of Dorset and Capel St last Sunday evening and it was buzzing. Every premises had people in them.

Thomas St is really buzzing too.

True.

And if you walked all the way down through town, Temple Bar, Georges St, Camden St and over the bridge to the end of Rathmines, its still packed out all along the way.

Literally 4 or 5 kilometres of constant bars/pubs/restaurants etc and all busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Yep, housing/rental market dominated by investment firms, 30 - 40 years old nowhere near being able to owning a home.

Health Service well past being on it's knees, it's face down and lifeless on the floor.

Criminal Justice system a revolving door, crime and anti-social behaviour spiraling, Gardai leaving in droves.

Education not too far off health service, shocking amount of teacher turnover and number of open posts are staggering.

City planning so atrocious you're lucky to make it through the city centre in an hour, public transport decades behind the rest of europe.

Government is a literal job share between two biggest parties, no elections for at least 2 years.

But yeah filthy dorset street and it's ugly buildings has a few launderettes... I mean restaurants, so all is well.

We've the highest life expectancy in the EU.

Still one of the safest countries in the world despite recent headlines.

Housing crisis is at a turning point.

Lack of teachers is a worry.

We're victims of economic success and trying to catch up on decades of under investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Myopic contrarianism, this level of denial borders on mental illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Victims of **** government and policies.

Health service and housing is a disaster in many respects.

As for the fantasy that Dublin is some kind of foodie mecca because it has Capel street...eh no it s not. It doesn't even have one decent Chinatown area or Asian market. It also doesn't have any covered outdoor markets even though there are TWO waiting to be utilised and left go derelict for decades.

Large parts of Dublin city center are neglected the government needs to shape up.

Dorset street is a dump, rubbish often strewn everywhere.

Look at the sheer state of some of the LUAS stops, what's the one off Parnell street there with the boarded up flats...they should rename it alco central.

Connolly station walking down thru Talbot street and enjoy the sites of kids on escooters dealing and shops closed at 5.30pm on a main city centre street.....urghh..

Phibsboro can only improve from now ...hopefully the locals can stop blocking every bloody development that is proposed though.

Advertisement