Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Mercedes E Class

Options
  • 02-11-2023 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

So I see the pricing has gone up on the Mercedes website for the new E-Class.

E200 AMG Line is a cool 95k now starting. No extras, just poverty spec…95k.

Compare that with the new BMW 520i M Sport which with the metallic paint comes to 72k.

Roughly 23k difference between the 2 cars. Are these 2 models still competitors or has something changed to who they are being targeted? What would the thought process be to pick the E-Class over the 5 series given the price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Its 70,550 here, although an avantgarde rather than an amg spec, but theres no way amg spec costs 25k on top

Have you a link to this 95k e220?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spark Plug

Pricing of C-Class versus 3-series is mad as well..... 330e M-Sport €58,375 versus C300e €81,895

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭goochy

Merc sales way behind the other x2 germans - MB need to get rid of local distributor and look after distribution themselves - i dont mean direct selling - just new distributor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Does this mean my 15 year old E class is now worth a lot of money? 🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

Has Mercedes seriously lost the plot ? 82k for a basic E diesel . I mean basic with 17” alloys . The plug looks like it is nearer the 90k .

bmw 530e starting at 76k ish and a pro for under 80k . Like there is well over 10k in the difference here . And spec for spec it is 15k.

already this morning the E driver in my house is no longer changing to a new one as the price is just way too high .

I know it’s all choice - no one will be forced to buy one but my god I really think you’d be mad to buy one .

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes Mercedes Benz pricing is way ahead of BMW and Audi and not worth the premium in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I tried building a 220d with amg interior and exterior. 89k. Nuts.

Looks like high prices are here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think we are back to the old days when premium cars were exclusive to those who could afford their hefty prices. Second hand UK imports that suffered big depreciation helped make them affordable to the masses but Brexit and government tinkering with VRT has put an end to that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Are they all some sort of hybrid ?. It lists 2 power outputs and adds them together in the first few, +23 HP for example.

I see the ones futher down +95hp would be the proper plug in hybrids

Either way, expensive and this class of car is going to die a death..it's already an unpopular body type although I still make them my personal favourite I'm in the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Core6

I think the E Class that you are looking at is a plug-in hybrid.

Here is a link the the cheapest E Class which is €70,500:-

The cheapest plug-in hybrid is €77,900:-

And the cheapest BMW 5 Series is €70,800 -- surprisingly close the the Merc pricing -- there's a shock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Exactly, this was to be expected.

As far back as 2017, M-B boss Dieter Zetsche and then M-B R&D boss (now M-B Chairman) Ola Källenius told us this was coming.

At the time they had over 40 models which was, frankly, way too much. Too much choice, too much R & D for marginal selling volumes and too marginal 'margins' for some of the entry level models. So Merc has gone back to what gave them their name in the first place : a narrower pallette of models, and higher prices, with greater margins (for them). Putting Merc back into the 'Luxury' zone they came from.

This won't cost them a sale, or more correctly and income, anywhere. Fewer models, less volume, more or the same cash, greater profits.

In other words, just like Porsche do.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Allinall

Disappointed to see they don't do an estate version of the E- Class any more.

Values of second hand ones will shoot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Doddles88

I’m pretty sure that’s the outgoing model. If you look at Mercedes.ie, you’ll see the pricing for the new model in the configurator.

Have you clicked your links ? These are the old model .

someone added the new link - you cannot get any e class for less than €83000- and that’s the basic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭User1998

Nobody wants estate cars anymore, so can’t really see that happening. People want high riding SUV’s these days

The Mercedes UK site has the new model E Class estate listed (coming soon):-

So Mercedes haven't dropped them.

I have had two of them and they are great cars -- so much better than any SUV.

The site listed in Post 4 above looks like a work in progress as the E Class isn't in their 'Saloons' list at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Gilmore's had a c class AMG line for 75k for a 2 litre diesel is mad money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Allinall

The fact the second hand estates command a premium over the saloon would lead you to believe there is a demand for them.

I remember back in 1993, a local business man bought a 2 year old e34 520i. It was the talk of the town........ the way these prices are looking now, we may be heading that way again where new German cars are for the rich only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭creedp

That would be fine of itself but when a 7 seater EV from a non premium brand is also in the €80k bracket then it would seem car prices are heading into the seriously unaffordable bracket for many

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

I'm on the lookout for a used car at the moment and, as we're all aware, price are exorbitant and choice is limited with the inability to import from the UK at a reasonable price any more. Gone are the days where you'd easily source a 3-year old model of your choice at 50% discount to new price.

I'm now looking at new and, although I'd much prefer petrol, it seems that recent price drops and competition in the arena of electric vehicles mean that one might find much more bang for their buck there.

This will certainly become a struggle for the EU manufacturers and Europe are now looking into doing something about it. The BYD Seal, for which Irish test drives began this week and the interiors are more similar to what we're all used to with traditional manufacturers as opposed to the minimilistic look of Tesla, is actually expected to outsell it's Tesla competitor next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Fuckers better get their act together, I rely on them when buying my estates. Why would you want another body style?

Post edited by Hurrache on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

Agree with the estate sentiment, if you try to buy a second hand one in any make but especially the premium brands you pay a big premium. The only advantage I see with SUV's is the higher ride height can be an advantage on some especially bad roads, and a lot of them are packaged to have wider rear seats as wheel well doesn't impact as much, but in general they never handle as well and often the boot size is smaller too. GLE on the configurator is starting at 145k too!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 AnthonyGiarrusso
    Executive Motivational Speaker, Paranormal Lecturer, Sales Professional, Author, & Beach Traveler

As world traveler, I've seen more BMWs broken down on the side of the road than any other manufacture. I would never consider a BMW. Get the Mercedes Benz.

The most broken down cars I've seen include BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, and Honda. Avoid them if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭goochy

prestige estates never took off here , i always feel they scream ' family ' rather than slick business person

Well I wouldn't categorise any of those as being prone to leaving you stranded on the side of the road.

• Advertisement

I think you miss the point - the new E class is now 15k euro more expensive than the new 5 series ( plug in’s) & it is close to 20k euro more expensive in diesel than an Audi A6.

now you can argue that they should never have been in the same class . You can argue that you shouldn’t compare. You can argue that there is no comparison.

lots of points made here about a shift in policy from Mercedes and this is probably true. They don’t want volume - maybe for lots of reasons.

really do wonder what effect of any it will have in second hand E class that are a few years old - prob none .

anyways rant over - good luck to anyone who can afford the money - personally wouldn’t touch at that sort of cash .

Advertisement