Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm for target shooting and hunting/vermin control: General Questions

Options
  • 29-10-2023 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Ive been a member of my gun club for around a year now and im getting my license in the following weeks. Its taken me this long to get my license as im 16 and a training license would've been too much hassle. As you all know, in the FCA1 it gives you multiple options to tick and of course im going to tick target shooting for the gun club. But im also seeking land permission to shoot rabbits, so would that go under hunting or vermin control? And will i also have to just tick two boxes and explain why? I already have land permission from a family member but considering they live 4 hours away id be looking for something more local, but im not sure many farmers would be too enthusiastic about a 16 year old with a gun roaming around shooting rabbits on their property so how should i go about seeking permission, im thinking my gun club would be a good start. Now if i get land permission after i get my certificate what do i do then? Sorry for the bombardment of questions but all help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭TheEngineer1

In general, the term "gun club" refers to game clubs so you will be ticking hunting, not target shooting.

You don't need to have additional land permissions because the gun club will have land permissions on which to hunt game, and you by being a member of said club will be entitled to hunt on those lands.

If you want to shoot targets, you need to join a target shooting club that has access to authorised target shooting facilities.

Unless you mean clay target shooting? If your gun club runs clay shoots then you will be ticking the "other" box and specifying clay target shooting. The target shooting box is only for rifle and pistol shooting at a proper shooting range.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ExtractorSpring72

Sorry yeah its a target shooting club i shouldve specified. I shoot .22 target rifle. So ill be target shooting and i have permission from a family member to shoot crows on her property (which are a nuisance) so would i be right to tick both target shooting and vermin control?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you're a member of a target shooting range then tick target shooting in section4.2 and in section 4.3 provide the details of the range and a copy of your range membership.

If you intend to hunt then in section 4.2 you can tick both hunting and other. Provide copies of any/all land permissions you have and on your separate sheet of paper (of additional information) and simply state you intend to hunt any/all quarry, including those classed as vermin, during the open seasons as permitted by your license under the wildlife act(s).

The more permissions you have the better. There is no legal necessity for two land permissions as most people believe and one will suffice presuming it's of sufficient size and capable of sustaining the shooting which may take place on it. There is the possibility that the land(s) may be inspected by AGS to verify suitability, however as said previously the more you have the better it is for your application.

It does not matter where the land is, if you have permission to shoot on it, you can list it. As for getting more,.knock on doors is the only way. That or join a gun club, but get known, knock on doors and expect more refusals than permissions, however keep at it and they'll come eventually.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement