Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a new approach to domestic meter box installs?

Options
  • 25-10-2023 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering whats the thinking

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

What's the issue there

I'm not seeing a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

He might be wondering about that On/Off/Padlock/Seal device after the meter... what's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thank you .kirk I can always rely on you for such contributions: I never mentioned a problem.

Am trying to understand the reason for two additional pieces of kit in the Meter box for an August 22 install

Thanks 10.10.20

yes, and the next piece which looks like it can be used to isolate the house from the outside, it's looks unsecured and easily accessible so a "bad actor" could cut the power to the house from the outside.

Well the first object - I don't know what it is other than to say that it looks like a lockable isolator.

But the second appears to be where a new primary protective device has been installed into the meter box as per the guidelines issued by RECI for installing EV chargers where the consumer unit is utterly inaccessible. We had chats about that back in Jan 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Looks identical to the setup in my meter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Mine looks identical to that also. New build from 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The first additional box is an isolator. Usually installed when you have other electrical stuff on the property, likes of solar PV, batteries, a generator, an EV charger etc so you can isolate the fusebox directly.

The second box seems to be a Garo RCBO (from a fuzzy pic, I can't see the writing other than the logo) so as others have guessed I'd say its for a car charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Top lockable one is evidently old. It looks old the feed to it is old looking, perhaps some form of tenant isolator. The RCB isolator are standard now. I was told its for fire service to easily isolate the house all installs last few years require these.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

The top right lockable isolator is an isolator installed by ESB Networks. It allows them complete the connection for the house without the need for the customers electrician to be there at the same time to connect the customer tails.

The customers electrician can follow at any time then and connect the tails.

This isolator was integrated in the meter itself for some time but since the move to smart meters the contractor accessible isolator is not a feature of these meters.

The bottom right device is the customer main overcurrent device and is a requirement where customer tails are longer than 2m. You will find the first main device in your board inside is only an isolator and not a protective device.

• Advertisement

As above an isolator enables esbn to complete their work in one visit

Pre-isolator there was the issue of esbn connecting tails and energizing installations , not a satisfactory situation for them

Isolator also enables switching off for contractor maintenance

I'm not 100% on the main MCB but I'll have a go anyhow 😁

The main MCB in the main DB effectively did the same job prior to the cabinet MCB preventing main overcurrent assuming no branches upstream

Moving it to cabinet assured overcurrent protection on the installation

I assume the 2m rule is for short-circuit discrimination on the tails to ensure the MCB trips before Esbn fuse . Not 100% on that or will it even reliably trip first

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Are EV chargers permitted to be wired into meter cabinets? I thought it was a 100% No

Ive a friend who lives in an apartment and has been told that he can’t get an ev charger because consumer unit is not accessible from the car park

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes I believe the rules now allow connection to cabinet with specific arrangements re isolators and warning signs.

This must be new as it was allowed, then banned so are we back to allow again

Re the apt block, mngt companys normally don't allow them anyway

Thank you for the clear explanation: the tails to the CU are much longer than 2m

I was going to say it's a perfect cabinet but is the main MCB board glanded underneath?

If not i'd also be querying whether the swa is glanded at main board

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GarretHogan

Hi. There has been a spate of EV chargers being stolen from houses in the UK recently. I'm just thinking that having an isolator makes it very easy for the 'bad actors', as they call them, to be able to disconnect the power supply and simply remove the box. Is that not correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Makes little difference

The ESBN fuse which has always been there is easy to pull

• Advertisement

I'd agree fully. Many of these thieves are opportunistic and want to be in and out in 15 seconds to 2 mins flat. Having an isolator is a facilitator for sure.

Ah my bad you're talking about the local EV isolator not ESBN isolator

Well ya that's very convenient for theft alright

And wouldn't alert the household to the theft unless some monitoring was in use

Didn't even know theft was an issue

Yeah, and it's not like you can or should apply a lock to the isolator either as that's bad practice in the event of a fault.

Ya I think unless I'm getting my wires crossed the isolator is used for emergency switching and local isolation

Any metal lock sure they'd cut through the plastic

You can add this to the issues with ev charging anyway😁

This problem is not going away the way it stands

An isolator or lack of one will not deter would be thief's from simply cutting through the supply feed to the charger and swiping it.

Lads... cmon what block are ye on. These lads aren't detered by such things as electrical safety. It makes zero difference

Opinions will differ but I'd put money on them appropriately using the isolator where provided. 😁

I would have thought opposite they'd be scared of bangs and shocks in general

Maybe not though there's a lot of theft of live copper wiring

If they want the charger they'll take it. Just as if the want thick copper cable they'll cut it. Any awareness of criminal activity would understand this to be true.

It's not an opinion.

• Advertisement

Is there not a fear factor .

I would have presumed there is

Advertisement