Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Prius 2024

Options
  • 21-10-2023 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Thinking about buying one of these. Beautiful car in my opinion. Reviews are very positive and I think it will age and hold value quite well. The tech suits me - full electric doesn’t work for me yet, and I think it’s better than the self-charging hybrid tech.

Drawbacks for me are the size of the boot (I have two young kids albeit we’ve moved beyond buggies etc) and the price (circa €49k on the road in the right colour).

Alternative is a new 241 top spec Corolla which I think is a really handsome car and suits my needs well. Circa 40k on the road. Drawback is the self-charging hybrid tech which, although very solid, is a little outdated I think, and the fact that new Corolla will be out end of next year/early 2025.

Any thoughts on the new Prius and my choice as outlined above? I need a replacement for my 15 year old diesel with 300km quite soon, as it’s on the way out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭joe1303l

If you’re hellbent on a Toyota, would you not consider a Bz4x ? If you can charge at home on a night rate, you’ll have significant savings on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Player_86

Thanks for the response joe. Electric doesn’t really work for me at the moment. My main driving is the school run and trips to the office - all short trips doable by the Prius in electric mode. During the summer though, I’m up and down with kids to a mobile home in Kerry every week (I’m based in Dublin) and I don’t want the faff of charging points and queuing etc with two small kids in the back seat. Will probably hold off on full electric for 3-4 years in my circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭User1998

Probably won’t hold much value once it starts to get older. Thousands of used Prius’s get imported from Japan every year, the market is full of them.

You’d be safe enough for the first 3 or 4 years tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@OP You could look at the new Honda Civic. Maybe that would suit you or if you want an SUV a Renault Austral.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Comer1

Honda Civic is not plugin and way over priced for what it is, especially if you compare it to the likes of a Camry, which is the same technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

• Registered Users Posts: 23,275 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A self charging hybrid. Think about it. It’s 100% petrol. Just get a petrol car

Personally, I'd prefer a petrol "self charging hybrid" over a 1 litre, 3 cylinder engine with a turbo to make it drivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

@Player_86 I think your thought process is good and your decision makes sense. The Prius is definitely a lovely car this generation, huge step up on the previous models.

You have a fair concern in the boot size but the price is where the main problem lies. 49k is very expensive for a Prius. If it's a PHEV you want and you're not tied to ordering brand new I would check for other used 2022/2023 options.

Crossovers like the RAV4, Tiguan, Sportage, Tucson, Kuga all have PHEV options and should be within your price range.

Saloons and hatches tend to be less popular but there are still good options. A Skoda Octavia PHEV will run you a good 10k less on average I think. You could probably even stretch to a used BMW 330e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

It uses less petrol, than just a petrol car.

Self charging,It's just a marketing strategy, I don't understand why it bothers people so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Is the 2024 Prius not a PHEV with a 13kWh battery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,275 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well then it’s not self charging. It’s a plugin hybrid..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What about the Corolla estate if you need more space?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Have a look at a Corolla Cross.

It ticked all my boxes a couple of months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

There's a new CHR next year too which has a plug-in-hybrid option. Something to compare to the Prius.

Honestly, none of the alternatives are going to look as good as the Prius or be as fuel efficient short of going full EV (and not even then in some cases). So it's really up to you to decide if it's practical enough for your family needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭vimalandrew

When is the lower end versions of Prius coming to Ireland. I can see only plugin version in the website which looks expensive around 49k. Instead of that people could buy a Chinese EV for 40K or Bz4x or Tesla.

since Prius gives 50MPG, its a good option for next 3-4 years, until Toyota comes with solid state battery which has a range of 1200km.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,825 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What's the distance between your home in Dublin and your mobile home in Kerry? Depends on your answer, but many new EVs can do that distance without having to stop to charge in summer. You can then charge up with a "granny" cable at your mobile home. Unless it has no electricity of course LOL

And whatever your answer, that's a long drive (with young kids) without stopping, the general advice is to drive no more than 2 hours without a break, even if on your own with no distractions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I would have though that 'faff' and 'queuing' where the signs of pub talk alright.

Not necessarily. The public charging structure is improving, but nowhere near adequate and the number of pure EVs on the road is going up rapidly. Unless you are buying a Tesla, the charging with small kids on a weekly trip from Dublin to Kerry is a valid concern.

• Advertisement

Queues happen at sandyford.

I think that Prius is too expensive, in fact most makes are, the niro K4 or xceed would be my choice new, for 50k I would look at BMW 230xe, around the same range 1.5 l engine, but not Atkinson cycle.

I don't think you'd need to queue for a supercharger in Sandyford if you are travelling from your home in Dublin to Kerry 😉

I know but queuing is a possibility, in any EV,

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Yes I agree I'd get a Model Y and supercharge in Birdhill in OP's case. Although M7 is probably the best motorway for fast chargers so wouldn't rule out other EV's.

From me in Lucan to Tralee is 286km for example. You wouldn't need to charge at all in a base Model Y, it will easily make it there (unless you hammer it)

I would say buy a Chinese EV for now which are 10K less than our branded EVs like tesla or VW. MG4 or BYD atto would be good choices. Then wait until 2027 when toyota comes with 1200 km solid state battery. Current situation is that all electric cars give only 60 to 70 percent of range only during winter.

@vimalandrew - "Then wait until 2027 when toyota comes with 1200 km solid state battery"

The one they have been announcing they'd have ready next year, for the last 10 years?

If I were a betting man and I was forced to put my money on what is likely to come first, A Toyota with a competition beating 1200km solid state battery or Toyota going bankrupt, I think I would bet on the latter

The problem is US and tesla. US wants to keep Elon Musk as the world's richest person. Tesla just welded 1000s of mobile batteries and made the electric car. Other companies also had to adopt the same. Toyota has already devised the solid state battery. But due to pressure from US they can't reveal it yet. Most possibly it would come in 2027. First it will be introduced in the next version of RAV4 as hybrid battery with 200km range.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Iodine1

Why would Toyota care about anything the US or Musty says or does?

• Advertisement

I think you just posted in the wrong place, conspiracy forum is thataway👉

Advertisement