Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Car choice

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Unlikely for Ioniq 5’s as they only really started to be sold here in early 2022. Most of them are less than 2 years old and have small mileage due to Covid. VW ID.4’s are more likely to be traded in as they sold in relatively big numbers. That said a lot of 2021 ID.4’s were traded earlier this year when used EV prices were high and owners got great trade in deals on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

Here is a question, which would you choose here

• 2021 VW ID4 with the 77 kwh battery. General warranty will run out in 2024. Battery warranty is 8 years or 160,000kms
    • 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 with 54kwh battery. General warranty is until sometime in 2027. Battery warranty is 8 years or 160,000kms

Both may be around same price give or take

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

EVDB put's the range at 295km for the Ioniq and 435km for the ID.4. If you are regularly going to be making journeys around 350km then I'd go with the ID.4, otherwise it comes down to which car you prefer.

As someone who doesn't have a regular long range trip requirement I'd always choose the nicer car over the bigger battery. I'm ok with paying a high fee to hit an Ionity charger a couple of times a year and have a nicer experience the other 360 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd probably plump for the Ioniq, but then again it suits my needs, as I'm not a long distance driver.

I'd test drive both maybe and just see which one speaks to you more?

I would go with the ID.4 on the basis of buying as much battery as I could rather than a newer number plate. Usable battery capacity only goes one way with degradation. Public charging really sucks here and having the bigger battery means you should be able to manage with charging at home more of the time. (Unless doing very small mileage in which case a €40K EV is a waste of money anyway). I would disregard the 5 year warranty somewhat in your decision as those longer warranties from Korean manufacturers are usually difficult to get a successful claim outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

ID4 boring but a better car.

Ioniq has systemic issues and you'll be in the dealer more often - some don't mind that.

Interesting. I thought the Ioniq 5 was relatively reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So World Car of the Year is never out of the garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Have you muted/blocked the Ioniq 5 thread?

The major issues surfaced long after the (purely marketing, and heavily lobbied-for) WCOTY award.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Basilio

Friend of mine had issue developed after a months of owning ID4. Vehicle was recovered into a garage and not fixed for six months. She was provided with hybrid Toyota. So at the end of Summer 23, after EV market prices settled to more reasonable levels, VW refunded her purchase price of ID4 and now she is driving second hand BMW.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Basilio

Yes, she did purchase brand new vehicle from an authorized VW dealer. Providing link to a video of repair to new IDs, covered only36 and 156 kms. Sorry for Ukrainian Russian language. You can switch on English subs https://youtu.be/GrfDCQUzcik?feature=shared

Post edited by Basilio on

yeah the Ioniq 5 seems to hold its value. most 54 batteries are asking 32k+

looks like a vw id4 with 77 battery can be got for under 30k now.

I like the Ioniq 5 and was well impressed with the space it offers, the kids thought it was cool…………but the price just seems way too expensive for a 54 battery. As for the bigger Ioniq battery, they are really expensive.

I’m not sure I can justify paying more money for a smaller battery car when both cars are equally decent. Seems a bit silly

Post edited by obi604 on

I suspect used EV values will level out over the next 6 months but if you need to buy now, ID.4’s are more keenly priced and lots of them for sale. Very few Ioniq 5’s for sale to indicate a current trade price.

Advertisement