Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing protein - looking for a tasty protein shake

Options
  • 19-10-2023 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I want to increase protein. I had a look online for ways to increase protein and the diet for increasing protein is unreal. I will never be able to eat all those eggs and chicken and peanut butters. I have some diet requirements and I am unable to eat nuts due to IBS. I also don't eat red meat. Either way I need to increase protein and I will never be able to get it through my diet.

I am looking for a tasty protein shake of anyone has any recommendations for me please and thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jocombo

Have a look in Aldi. They have quite a lot of high protein yogurts and drinks. Tuna is a easy way of getting protein too, i like the flavoured versions there. Otherwise, you'll need protein powder (which they might have too) but there is a thread on that for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mosorchat

Look for protein powders made from plant sources like beans, rice, hemp or soy. These powders are suitable for people who do not consume animal products and can provide a good amount of protein per serving. There are many different brands, so you can experiment to find the one that suits your preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

OP didn't mention anything about not eating animal produsts. Only red meat. whey and dairy protein powders (the most common) are perfectly fine.

How much protein and you targeting? what is your current diet.

It's really not a lot you have to east to reach a target. You do not need a dozen eggs a day. Protein at every meal makes a huge difference. shakes should supplement a shortfall, not be the bulk provision

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

I make protein shakes in a blender:

Scoop of Vanilla or Strawberry milk protein whey powder (you can add more)

1 banana

Handful of frozen rasberries (aldi or dunnes)

Tablespoon of greek yogurt (eg. aldi or lidl brand)

2 teaspoons of chia seeds ( for fibre)

Dash of milk (add more if you want it very liquidy)

It tastes great and you dont taste the powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ive tried a load of different powders over the years and landed on Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream. By a mile the nicest ive had.Mixes really well with tesco/aldi low fat protein milk. Its an easy 35g of protein right there and tastes great.

If you dont want to drink it then use 100ml protein milk, one scoop of the protein powder, 1 large egg, 50g porridge blended to be super fine, bit of baking powder, sweet cinnamon. Blend it all up then make pancakes. This will get you 40g carbs and 40g protein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

^ On making your own protein ice cream from powders, here is a Jujitsu guy I know who does his own. Though the Ninja Creami I/he uses is a slightly pricey version there are cheaper machines on the market too:

youtube.com/watch?v=A8qzG4rp3xQ

Advertisement