Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i ask for a pay rise

Options
  • 18-10-2023 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

im currently a manager in my company and recently i have discovered that 2 of my staff earn 60e less a week than me. considering the workload, stress, and extra things I do compared to them compared to them i am wondering if should i approach the manager to ask for more money as I was thinking id rather be down the the 60e for the easier life the other workers have compared to me. If i this was the case there is no one inhouse to replace as none of the other are up to the job nor have any interest in doing anything more than they should

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ADLPEAR

i currently work as a manager in my company and recently i have discovered that 2 of my staff earn 60e less than i do. considering the workload, stress, and extra things I do compared to them compared to them i am wondering if should i approach the manager to ask for more money as I was thinking id rather be down the the 60e for the easier life the other workers have compared to me

Post edited by Nody on

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Is that a week? Also if all are on higher rate of tax that would be a gap of over €5k a year gross which is not insignificant. Depends if the current wage is the start of something where you will gain more experience and wages will rise at a faster rate than the people underneath you.

But on the basis of extra workload and stress it does seem like there should be a larger differentiator alright as you are probably working extra hours than they are thus bringing your hourly rate to the same level.

Now it's probably also worth considering would one of the staff replace you if you wanted to revert to staff level and how happy that would leave you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ADLPEAR

yes, 60e a week. That's the thing there is no one here to replace me if i were to step down ( not bigging myself) i look after way more than i should in my role, which i am happy to do. but if i was to step down from my position and do the basics another person would need to be employed to take on the work i will not be doing anymore as the others would not be up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Do you work as a manager or are a manager ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Never base a salary increase request on what other people are earning, it's largely irrelevant and puts you on the back foot immediately. You need to demonstrate why *you* deserve a payrise - how you've increased bottom line/productivity/efficiencies/whatever it is. "It's unfair" isn't going to cut it, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I'm very certain (without hard proof) that this is more common nowadays, particularly if you have been working for the same company and new hires are brought in on inflated starting salaries. I know in my company, new hires are being offered close to what some other senior members are earning as the promotion cycle (+ budget) just can't keep up with the market demand (IT).

Thread carefully sharing salary information amongst others, usually this is discouraged to avoid this type of outcome and it doesn't necessarily give someone a right to more money based on some else's reported salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I'd encourage people to share salaries or at least ball park scales. Companies are the main beneficiaries of the secrecy around salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

This

But also there is a salary that you should be comparing yours to - what you can get if you leave. There's absolutely no point threatening to leave if you don't get a 10% raise, if by leaving you end up with a 10% cut (or 100% if you can't find another job)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It really is not about what they can command in the market place, it's about what you can command and what you are worth to your employer. They might have better qualifications, a different skillset, range of experience, have been recruited during a market shortage, or are simply better negotiators regardless you need to concentrate on what you bring to the table when you ask for a pay rise.

If all you have is that they are earning almost as much as me, then you are asking if they think you are worth more than your colleagues and that may or may not go down well, they did not agree to pay these people almost as much as you for the fun of it.

If you do decide to ask for a pay rise, then concentrate on what you bring to the table - what you do, what you have achieved and how you add value - make them see what you are worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

You are looking it it purely from the employer side. The no 1 factor from the employee side is what they can command in the marketplace. Because that is the question , am I being underpaid? If you can command more then you are. But the caveat is obviously be prepared to leave.

• Advertisement

They are the one's you need to extract the cash from...

You don't need to , you can leave no bother if you are being underpaid by them. Employers aren't idiots either , they know who is paid under market value.

That may be in the case when you are young and hold a junior position, but once you are older, have commitments and limited opportunities it is not so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Advertisement