Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Babet - Oct 17th 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah. The lower glanmire road was reportedly flooding in places a couple of hours ago and I’ve never heard of that flooding. Although the road outside apple greens in holly hill is the least surprising alert of flooding given how much that road dips down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very heavy rain in Galway surprised it's not upgraded the radar shows that the heaviest rain is in the South and West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Appalling in Cork since mid morning. Nearly 30mm of rain at Roches Point since 11am. 20mm in the last 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Still coming down fast & high tide an hour away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Where you getting these alerts from ? They look handy

• Advertisement

Insane rain in Cork today, can't recall any wetter. Our garden which never has an issue with drainage is flooded. There's just nowhere for the water to go, the ground is completely saturated.

What a terrible night. Wind has picked up and rain has gotten nastier and it’s cold. A few days ago I was expecting a good week.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Carol25

Absolute deluge of rain in Galway since the afternoon. No sign of it abating, surprised it’s not orange here. Will we all be washed away by morning?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

41mm so far in Cobh, has stopped for the time being but more to come. Under the rules that JUST pushes us into Orange.

30mm – 50mm in 6 hrs or less

40mm – 60mm in 12 hrs or less

50mm – 80mm in 24 hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Any updates on how the city center has fared? Did it flood? Can't see anything online so hoping that's good news?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Definitely Orange level rain in Galway

Ĺ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It must have passed off without incident. Round 2 tomorrow morning, I guess a lot depends on water release from the dam etc. The majority of this evenings issues arose from water pooling, water flowing off fields etc. Its beginning to look a lot like 2009 and we know where that lead us too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Im thinking that too. 2009 was an El nino year too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Wet in Galway. Driving conditions poor.

Athenry showing around 15mm since noon so nothing excessive.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

5 (yes 5mm) in Sligo. Yesterday Yr.no had nearly 30mm for us by midnight. It was actually dry enough most of daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Not too bad in the East. Left Dublin for Trim around 19:30. Rain was light when leaving, during must of the journey and when I arrived in Trim. Out walking the dog and it's very light, brought an umbrella but the rain does not warrant it.

Tomorrow is likely to be a different story in Dublin, however, if the forecast is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

I would not be surprised if Met Eireann issue a red warning particular for Cork and Waterford. Just was looking at the models and there Ensemble Prediction System. Going to serous bit of flooding tomorrow on top of already has fallen today.

Look after yourselves down there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It isn't justified, Cork looks dry now until tomorrow and then we get heavy rain for a few hours before it all nudges East. Indeed after tomorrow rain looks patchy and nothing too persistent over weekend. An orange looks spot on but nothing more

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The Euro models in good agreement of serious rainfall into tomorrow, up to 100mm, widespread 50mm+

Getting Into Red Rainfall Warning territory all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Met Eireanns own Ensemble Prediction System shows Cork and Waterford in particular

On top of the euro model the AROME model shows some serous amounts too.

I'm sticking with the gfs ppn charts. Showed it clearing this evening from Cork around 8pm which it did!! Arome still showing it raining at 11pm, 3 hours worth of rainfall that isn't happening!! Rainfall around Cork today maxing at 40mm. This means Arome thinks almost twice as much to come tomorrow. Sorry but that's just incorrect imo

Ya I'd reckon 80 to 100mm totals. However a lot of pulses of rain until Saturday will add another 20mm at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very wet in the South

Our 5 is now 14mm so it's slowly building. Wer due another 30mm in the next 24hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

36 hours of intense rain when it's all done in cork. A brief reprieve before more into the weekend. I think we're in for serious trouble here.

Horrendous in Cork, I can never remember a spell like this

Pelting down in cork City again, madness. Went into the office yesterday but think today will be a wfh day 😅

• Advertisement

Just looked outside, garden absolutely flooded. What a shocking two days in Cork. Insanely consistent heavy rain

Advertisement