Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Babet - Oct 17th 2023

Options
  • 17-10-2023 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭

Plenty of rain due to fall over the coming hours / days! Areas prone to flooding should take adequate precautions.

Status Orange - Rain warning for Cork, Kerry, Waterford

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Spells of heavy rain.
    • Blustery east to southeast winds at times.

• Impacts:
    • Localised Flooding
    • Poor visibility
    • Difficult driving conditions
    • Possible wave overtopping at high tide
    • Valid: 06:00 Tuesday 17/10/2023 to 13:00 Wednesday 18/10/2023
    • Issued: 15:24 Monday 16/10/2023
    • Updated: 18:50 Monday 16/10/2023

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Clare, Limerick, Tipperary, Kilkenny, Wexford

• Spells of heavy rain.
    • Blustery easterly winds at times.

• Possible Impacts:
    • Localised Flooding
    • Poor visibility

• Valid: 06:00 Tuesday 17/10/2023 to 13:00 Wednesday 18/10/2023
    • Issued: 15:24 Monday 16/10/2023

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Connacht

• Spells of heavy rain.
    • Blustery easterly winds at times.

• Possible Impacts:
    • Localised Flooding
    • Poor visibility
    • Valid: 12:00 Tuesday 17/10/2023 to 13:00 Wednesday 18/10/2023
    • Issued: 12:26 Monday 16/10/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Well done for opening this thread, I think this storm deserves it. I think this will also have a significant threat to all Eastern areas too which always happens with any easterly component . All the warnings are a bit scattered and confusing at the moment and updating them to suddenly inlude other areas during an event doesn't work . As the storm is named I think a simpler and more general type warning would be more helpful and give them a little earlier like the met office. That's only my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭pauldry

Seems to be running a few hours behind schedule. Was meant to start at 6am. Nearly 10am now and only got to Sherkin around 9am. Light rain falling in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Orange warning extended until 1pm tomorrow for Cork at least, looks to follow what pauldry said above with the storm moving slower then expected

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Blocking to the north presumably, interesting to see how this plays out, could be very slow moving and areas under rainfall could get high totals even if not high rates.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

Wicklow and Dublin will probably be added to the warnings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Still a bit of uncertainty in the models for totals for the East tomorrow. GFS 06z just out and has 60mm+ for most of the Eastern side of Wicklow and 50mm+ for South Dublin, with the UKMO having even higher totals. However ECM, ICON and ARPEGE are backing off the heavier rainfall this morning. Some would still maybe warrant a yellow warning though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

SE is always the rainfall beast here in South Dublin, was a bit surprised there wasn't a rainfall warning given the slow moving nature of this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

There is, yellow warning in place for all of Leinster until 8pm Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Expecting it to ramp up here from about 2pm but tomorrow morning looks just as heavy

Just to supplement that, here's the higher res AROME forecast for Cork and Waterford until 7pm tomorrow:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robwindstorm

According to the British met office Eastern and central Ireland will get very heavy rain tomorrow from noon while the south actually dries up for a time. Be prepared for fairly widespread flooding everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

Expecting a nice rain shadow here in N Kildare

Think we all need to head to Monaghan. They have the least warnings according to sryan.

Cold and dry in Sligo. Expect rain at 1600 says google.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm not expecting severe flooding in the south, certainly not the apocalyptic nature of some of these models. We're getting say 90mm over two days. If it was 90mm over two or three hours, then yes, flooding. But 45mm per day is not the end of the world, its just sustained rainfall.

25mm in Sherkin now is the highest so far

Nothing out of the ordinary yet. They might get 50mm down there for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

remember we are never more than 7 days of sun from a low rain warning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

150mm in the Craingorms National Park, that's some serious rain. The River Dee flows out of there into Aberdeen on the coast, I imagine that's going to cause some significant disruption there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's raining in tralee . Nothing unusual in that 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very heavy now in Cork

If this sustains, which it's likely to do then flooding is certain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heavy rain in Galway now and looking at ME Radar heavier to come could be upgraded

Friday was 15 times wetter than today and some showers were forecast that day. Now dry weather is about to go. Google says rain in 4 minutes. Bye dry.

And with the church bell tolling drops started. Impressive Google.

Icon 12z has rolled out and the UKMO 12z came out about an hour ago and both would indicate orange level warnings for Wicklow for tomorrow. GFS 06z had similar numbers so lets see if the 12z has an upgrade or downgrade in the next 20 minutes or so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

Where is all the rain?! 😂

Location - Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

High tide in cork City is around 7:30, river is already very high. Flooding expected I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'd say the flooding in Cork will be much worse at high tide than the council are expecting. Back roads are badly flooding now with water pouring off fields etc. Interesting evening

Advertisement