Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 - Round 19 - Austin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

Hate to be yer one waving her hands in that guys face now 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 30,027 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

They checked the planks on 4 cars, Norris and Verstappen too, they probably have limited time for checks with the tight schedule and since it wasn't a deliberate rule break it might be an over reaction to look for more infringing. Maybe checked Leclerc because visibly it looked bad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Karma caught up quickly to her 🤣

Big decision.

I wonder how many others would have failed if tested. 2 failing from 4 tested surely warrants a bit more investigating but it certainly put a pep in the celebrations of Red Bull.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ah Hamilton had the loudest support by far this weekend. As I said, any fans booing are twats.

Fair point, 2 from 4 failing is fairly high so maybe they should’ve gone back and tested more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

Massive for Perez, pretty much deals second for him. Will it be enough to keep his seat at RB next year though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

True most likely and no doubt are the exact same thing... It was most likely checo fans booing him and chanting checo or maybe it was hamo they were chanting no doubt most likely... Plus it was no doubt a lot of Texans booing gov Abbott most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Logan Sargent gets his first points. Been a tough rookie season for him. Whether he can do enough to save his seat is still up in the air. I still think Williams and Lawson should try get a deal done for that seat. He could easily beat both Alpha Taurus in that car.

When 50% of a sample fail in something don't they usually test more in the real world, when it's 10% of the whole lot it's a high amount too. At least George and sainz need to be checked. If it was just Lewis or Charles it would be like ah well if 2 from the same team also but 2 "random" cars (3 podium spots and the p1 spot) it warrants a wider check. I doubt Lewis and Charles has the same ride height and racing lines they didn't have the same tires they whole race either.

At least lando and max would be clear you could eliminate the dnfs such as ocon and pastry since they dropped out soo early in the race. Not that many cars to test then and see what's up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Internet says it was against Texas Governor Abbett who seems unpopular. Nothing to do with Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Image shows the difference in ride height at roughly the same spot... significant drop I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Interesting. When I was watching yesterday I thought Max's car looked alot higher up than some of the other cars (but thought nothing of it). Turns out the other cars may have just been too low!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 624 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Well that showed me glad they actually followed through. As for testing more cars they cant test the entire grid. It takes time, paperwork and it would delay everything if they had to test 10+ cars. Its the same at amateur level, have seen many a car been kicked out over ride height.

I read that too but Max was getting booed when interviewed before the podiums so not so sure it was directed towards the governor. Anyway, seems it annoyed me more than it did Max - doesn't bother him if it means he's taking home the win. 😂

Fantastic picture that - the Red Bull is a mile off the ground in that instance. I think Mexico this weekend (I love back to back races) is a much smoother track so shouldn't be any plank issues this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I saw a video, apparently it was a mother and son...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 624 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Those were the rules that the teams all agreed to. Reddit is getting hung up on this sample size as if they have stumbled onto some statistical puzzle. They cant test every single car, the pull a few every race to check for various things. With this there are a few give aways so they could actually smell that these cars were suspected to be running lower.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lewis still over takes him for second place the way Perez's form/luck has been for most of this season in combination with the Merc improving and Lewis driving well (barring Qatar). It doesn't help his cause that RB have apparently stopped updating the car since the summer (not sure I believe that fully though) although his problems started well before that. It's frustrating - he's a likeable chap but he's simply not doing a good enough job with the car he has. Must be brutal for him, starts off the year pretty good with 2 wins and 2 second places in the first 5 races but after Miami he's been swept aside and not just by his teammate.

If he doesn't turn it around early next season he'll be gone - assuming RB have someone that can do better.

I don't buy the they don't have time thing they tested the first 4 pretty quick and had them up in the stewards pretty quick. Oh rules are rules I'm not debating that but at a point you have to go hmm maybe we need to delve deeper.

What about the sprint were they fine then were they even checked? Is it the same plank all weekend or is it per chassis for the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That’s a bit embarrassing for Ferrari and Mercedes. Toto Wolff was blaming the sprint weekend layout because they only get an hour of free practice

They could have started checking other cars but then where does that end? It’s not practical for the stewards to examine every technical aspect of all 20 cars after each race to make sure there’s no infringements. Random checks make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

So when Ferrari asked Leclerc about plan D during the race they meant D for disqualification. 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think if he doesn’t turn it around this year he could still go. Losing second from here would make it a certainty but they might decide to go for a new driver anyway - if he limps to the end they have to think of next year, and other teams may face closed the gap enough for there to be competition in the constructors at least. He really needs to show that he can get back to podiums - he’s next to useless for team strategy right now.

• Advertisement

Each car needs a heap of FIA approved scrutineers, then a load of people to make sure they are doing it correctly. The car goes up on a ramp, all the checks are done (multiple times to make sure its correct). While this is being done the paper work gets prepared, then afterwards has to be filled out, then verified and its sent off to the COC (or similar). This all takes time, doing it for a dozen or so cars would take hours. If the checks require parts to be taken off the car for inspection it can take hours for a single car.

It all has to be done to spec and following the exact process (cos if you don't the teams can get any results thrown out).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Im assuming in other sports, every player doesnt get drug tested after a game? Only a handful?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

In theory it could/should be all podium places, then random testing for points scoring positions.

Without going into the minefield of drug testing many sports have the above, along with "passports" and out of competition random testing.

A 5 minute sample check is a lot different than full mechanical scrutineering mind

Drug testing is like you say random and its done in Motorsport as well (know of a lad who got DQ'd because of a substance)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Re. Toto blaming the weekend format, I saw a tweet showing the difference in ride heights between the Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull cars. Red Bull obviously spotted a possible issue, because their car was much higher. Here's it attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Plank testing is easy. The thickness test positions have holes drilled through the plank by design. No removal or complex measurement required. It's required to x minimum thickness at the specified positions at all times.

It's years since ive heard of an issue with plank wear. Very odd. Typically obvious plank damage due to a kerb incident would be ignored so these 2 must really have just been wearing the plank off the track surface under max loading.

On another note, what was ricciardo up to. He tried the one stop but with about 20 laps to go he was dropping away quickly from Hulk and others so was never going to work.

It might have been of more benefit to him to keep the best tyres possible on it and be overtaking all race long even if he still finished last.

A couple more of those races and he is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Broken brake duct in the first stint ruined Ricciardo’s race apparently. Had an extra long first pit stop to clear out debris that wasn’t captured on the coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I noticed Ric had switched to soft and bagged a fastest lap which wouldn't have given him any point because he was plum last , Tsnouda then did the same and bagged the fastest lap point on the last lap from 10th over the line, which of course became 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Seems highly likely that Sainz and Russell both had illegal cars also. There really needs to be a provision in the rules to allow the FIA to test the other car if one fails certain tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jesus, imagine he had won...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement