Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lies of P

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Got this game 2 days ago and loving it - finally a game that scratches the Bloodborne itch! Looks, sounds and plays brilliant - the combat is so good. Got access to boss weapons but for the minute I’m still mostly using my upgraded puppet saber blade with fire axe handle. Currently making my way through Malum district I think it’s called - I don’t trust those two npcs at the start who offer to help out. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Parade Master has kicked my ass a few times now. I can tank a few hits from him but I do no damage and when he goes into phase 2 I'm done. Might need to level up once or twice more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 FeatherySoup

Is this your first go at him?

It's a tough enough fight. What I found was if you managed to get yourself between his legs a lot of the hits will miss. Just be sure it dodge like hell as soon as he goes for the belly flop.

Don't forget about your bombs, he is super squishy to electric damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Made 2 attempts and got him to half HP on the second go. His 2nd phase is a bit harder but not much. I’m still figuring out the combat, it feels similar in ways to Sekiro / Dark Souls but it’s also a bit different. I’ll get him this evening I think.

November update is out now on PS5 - gives us a few free costume items and the ability to wear an Accessory now (e.g. glasses currently), cool looking gallery option in the main menu too. I think new characters get the Link Dodge p-organ perk for free, or get 2 Quartz to spend on it - something like that was mentioned in that recent video from the director anyway.

Just about to tackle the main boss in Venigni Works level on NG+, 54hrs and lvl115 and still loving the game. 😀

Here’s a link with the patch notes: https://www.ign.com/articles/lies-of-p-update-13-makes-big-changes-to-the-game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

I thought I had a handle on the game after the first play through. NG+ opened up my eyes to so many more options that I either didn't consider or didn't have access to first time around. Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm at the final boss and finding it an absolute dose. I can get through phase 1 fairly consistently, but hes relentless in phase 2, and the attacks are very difficult to read. best I've done so far is get him down to about 25% left, It'll be a happy occasion when I put him down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was watching someone stream this, looks really hard, harder that you're average souls game, is it the hardest soul type game to date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No, I wouldn't say so. It's more linear with fewer areas to get lost in or end up somewhere earlier than you're really meant to be. Fewer enemy types so easier to know the best way to take them on. Fewer build types which also means you're less likely to end up being a lot weaker against certain enemies.

It's definitely tough. Some of the bosses and even some mini-bosses throughout the world can be a nightmare. But then again, your mileage may vary. I'd say Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 at least were harder.

Post edited by Penn on

No, its definitely not as hard as a souls game, by any stretch. The parry thing is its own mechanic, its not really a 1:1 comparison with anything in a fromsoftware title. Its a more linear game in terms levels, in that theres only one path through the games stages, rather than the somewhat more open nature of other titles.

its on gamepass, so if you have that, give it a whirl, but stick with it, I initially dismissed it as being shoddy, but it was my own expectations that were letting me down, rather than the game itself. I will say, its pretty important to watch a few videos on the various mechanics, as they're quite poorly explained in game - for example, the fable arts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 FeatherySoup

I’ve finished him twice now, tbh the only advice I could give is get your way to the second phase and once you hit second, for that you have two options, use items to do some decent damage or you parry him, spamming can be hit or miss but if you struggle with parry timing spamming is your best option. Dodging into the attacks is an option too but for those ye gotta time it right or you’re out 😅

don’t be disheartened once you figure out his move set it’s not as daunting

Yeah the final boss is one of those where you just have to keep plugging away until that one try where, for no real reason and even though you're not really doing anything different, everything lines up just right and you beat them far easier than you would have thought.

It's nowhere near as difficult as Sekiro for example - that game you just need to get good at the mechanics. Lies of P is much more forgiving as you have plenty of options to help you - tons of weapon variation, your legion arm, fable arts, amulets, npc summon for most boss fights and if you die during a boss fight your Ergo is sitting waiting for you outside the room. Fantastic game.

Done and dusted. I actually did switch up tactics, used the puppet string leap attack to capitalise on his down periods, managed to get a stagger attack in at the midpoint and used throwables to get rid of the last 20% of his health. Man, what a satisfying game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I wanted to love this this game but the combat really lets it down for me, it tries to be a bit of everything, bit of Bloodborne, bit of Sekiro, bit of Dark Souls and doesn't really get any of it right, the deflecting is absurdly hard, you need to be perfect down to the last pixel, tbh I abandoned deflecting totally.

Dodging and rolling is painfully slow and clunky, I'm currently running a strength build and its simply too slow for the game, I've had to resort to throwables to get through the majority of bosses because they were simply to fast for me, I couldn't swing fast enough to hit and not get away so I always ended up trading blows, maybe other builds are better, faster weapons etc...but in my opinion strength builds just don't work in this game.

They've also taken a lot from Elden Ring, where enemies and bosses have these weird, unnatural delays and hits with almost no tells but the thing is Elden Ring allowed you to combat that due to the movement and speed of the game, its much more free flowing and quick, if Lies of P had Elden Rings, bloodborne or Dark Souls combat/gameplay, it would be a near 10/10 for me.

Bosses definitely have weird hesitations and delays, but I've always found the same to be true of Soulsborne games. Sekiro was one of the first I played and I nearly lost my sh*t and gave up with some of Juzu the Drunkard's hesitations and tracking; winding back for an attack, holding it while spinning around on one heel 270degrees as I tried to dodge around him (3 dodges) before hitting.

Lies of P definitely tries to take bits from the other games; parrying from Sekiro, rallying from Bloodborne, general combat from Souls games. I think in general the balance they achieved and the bits they added themselves work well enough. But there are definitely a few bosses who even with a dex-type build and a quick weapon, you only get a hit or two in before they scarper again, or when you parry their attack it pushes you just out of reach for a quick counterattack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Your Sekiro comment is true, bosses like the drunkard have very weird moves and hesitations, I actually abandoned parrying enemies like him because I just found it impossible and way too frustrating, for me enemies like that in Sekiro are best dealt with by witling down their health instead of posture, but all in all enemies like him make for only a small part, the majority of the game is fighting sword on sword and it does it exceptionally well.

TBH souls games in general all have hesitations and delays to some degree, but for me the gameplay allows you to handle it better, the rolling dodging in Souls games is so much more fluid than lies of P, don't get me wrong its still frustrating and difficult at times but with Lies of P it's unbearable, at least imo.

One common theme I see among Lies of P players is having to use throwables in a lot of situations, its almost as if that's what they want you to do considering throwables are stupid strong and can be infinitely bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HopingforNewZ

At the final boss on ng+, level 185, and I think I’ll never beat it! Have ploughed over 50 hours into it and it’s really excellent. The game mostly reminds me of Bloodborne.

I understand the above frustration re. Strength build and fighting some of the bosses. I went for a total Dex/Technique build using the Wintry Rapier, Two dragon sword and puppet ripper. There does seem to be a severe difficulty spike with some of the bosses - I’d be LYING if I said I didn’t resort to throwables for some!

I think one thing they got kind of wrong compared to Souls games is the i-frames when dodging/rolling, because that always allowed you to close the gap, avoid damage, and counterattack. In Lies of P, I believe you do have i-frames, but the window is practically tighter than deflecting because the animation is so much longer.

I didn't use many throwables in the game though. Rarely do in Souls games as I find they're always pretty rare, and if I use them up on a boss I either have to farm them or then start doing without. I mostly just relied on the grindstone and the legion arm weapon as my backup arsenal. The different grinders, Acid and fire especially, can make a huge difference in a fight.

Advertisement