Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf Replacement for Long Distance Commute

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Good for you, look at all options. Lots of strong opinions on here. Drive a few and likely one will stand out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Garzard

Posted similar questions as the OP in other threads such as the M3 and ID4 quite recently, but saw no harm updating this thread separately.

I approached my employer on having chargers installed, seeing the growth of EV's among other staff and a large number of vacant parking spaces - I found that they'll be brought in for the office's own fleet when it soon upgrades to EV, but the idea for staff chargers was refused, even on a limited scale and with an option of a payment system per kWh. I'm not even sure if it'll ever be revisited at any point.

On the Leaf itself - even though it's on PCP until mid-2025, I was browsing recently and found that the dealer had a 2023 Model 3 LR (€41,000) among its used stock. I knew it was a very long shot at best, but I explained my circumstances re. needing greater range and enquired if transferring the PCP to this would be possible. They were polite, but pretty clear in not wanting the Leaf back, and in any case I'd need to upfront the entire outstanding finance (more than the Leaf is currently worth) plus another 10% deposit at least for the M3 I'd called about. It was exactly the response I expected, but given the M3's price I thought it was worth the call at least. With that I'll have to ride out the PCP another year and continue saving until then for its replacement. Luckily it's not a dire emergency, plus the market and options for replacement seem to be evolving very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,274 ✭✭✭✭ted1

look at second hand Kia EV 6. Great car has 800V so great charging speeds.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ev6-ev6-earth-5dr-auto-now-with-0-finance/36463515

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ev6-just-arrived-kia-ev6-earth-low-rate-finan/36614742

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ev6-77-4kwh-air-226bhp/35835149

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

… but the idea for staff chargers was refused, even on a limited scale and with an option of a payment system per kWh.

What reason did they give?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Seems a pretty crappy attitude, I’d be considering a different employer in the long term…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,820 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I like them, but they are now way overpriced, both new and second hand. €35k for a 3 year old one, when you can pick most of the competitors up brand new for €42k. It's a recipe for massive depreciation. And then of course in a few years time people would ring Joe Duffy and give out EVs depreciate so much 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

We looked at doing it for staff too but had to draw the line at company and management cars that are used for the business. It's where do you draw the line that's the problem, having someone responsible for activation, managing spaces, arguments my car is lower battery than your car and who gets allocated spots on each day etc ..we've no interest in making a profit on it and a whole load of hassle (for me) with little or no return.

We've 3 11kw work chargers for 8 company EVs, we refused a staff member access to it for his PHEV Outlander because he'd park up all day to get a few kWh

No provision for it under company policy was the simple answer really.

Unfortunately you'd be correct on these issues. I did suggest paid charging to avoid this kind of abuse and would, if chargers were agreed on - have set up a WhatsApp group among staff to maintain a fair queue system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

My situation was a little worse. I had a 24kWh Leaf I was perfectly happy with. Started a new job 2 years ago. Was told there were loads of chargers on site I could use. Yes, there are loads of chargers, but only for certain staff with privileges. I ended needing to change my car. We sold our older 24kWh Leaf and I picked up a Model 3. Pros and Cons. Pros,,,I love the car and it's so comfortable to drive, especially as I have a back injury. Con…I had to take out finance. First time I had ever taken a car loan and also when the price was highest 😅

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No provision for it under company policy was the simple answer really.

What a crap excuse. That was just a PFO answer. They just dont want to be bothered. Their choice I guess.

It's where do you draw the line that's the problem, having someone responsible for activation, managing spaces, arguments my car is lower battery than your car and who gets allocated spots on each day etc 

I dont think any of those issues are hard to solve. If you need some privileged spaces for certain staff members then do that (card readers to activate makes it easy to implement) but leave the rest open on a first come first served basis and Xhrs time limit. It works in plenty other employers.

No one should be turning up to work with an empty battery and demanding access to a charge point to get them home… its a perk, not a right, and just lay down some simple rules at the start and it will run fine… your employees will appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

Try a test drive in an MG and see how you get on - I've an MG5 as a replacement for a Skoda Octavia Estate Diesel and so far so good.

I haven't test driven any but the MG4 Extended Range would seem like a decent choice. The XPower looks brilliant but at €45,000 I could never justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,274 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My company treat staff fairly. And management doesn’t get any special Privileges, they even fly economy. Like the rest of the pleabs.

Advertisement