Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards GS 2023 - Ryder Jug face-off 14th Oct 6:0 to Boards

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Great day, basking in the glorious sunshine of a team whitewash

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

We better keep it now..no pressure for next year then😀

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Fantastic result, congratulations everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭boccy23

Well done all, proud day for the parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Thanks everyone. I'm truly delighted with the outcome on a tough day on a great course in Headford New.

The results might suggest a comfortable win that was always in the bag. The reality was different. Each match had pivotal moments that fortunately went in our favor. At one point, myself and golfgraffix's quickly gained lead started slipped away rapidly when our opponents pulled three consecutive hole wins back on us. It felt as if momentum was turning against us and a quick check of live scores around that time showed a very tight contest was happening all around the course too with most matches either neck-and-neck or leaning slightly one way but nothing jumping out as separating us. Had this been a 9-hole contest instead of 18, the result may have tilted towards the Reps. However, our team rallied, making critical putts across the board. The resilience and determination of each of our players pushing through with every ounce of energy was inspirational. Good prep and rest before the event, high energy levels, and a prior understanding from each team that this was going to be a tough match on a hard course where fatigue later in the round would be a deciding factor perhaps was borne out in the eventual results?

A heartfelt thank you to Vice Captain Break80 of being present on the day in crucial motivational non-playing role! Several players shared that his presence made a difference, especially as every match was closely contested until the end. 

I have no doubts that the reps will return next year with a score to settle... I hope to make the team next year and be part of that journey along with many other people reading my review here today. I'd like to thank everyone who participated in both societies throughout the year and extend a special thanks to both teams for upholding the highest standards of sportsmanship throughout the event. The scene of all players from both teams waiting at the 18th green to congratulate me as I returned at the end was a moment I'll cherish forever, and THE perfect note for me to end my captaincy on and close out a year that I'll never forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Well done to RoadRunner and all the lads, fantastic result and achievement!

Hopefully get to play enough events next year to have a chance of making the team for a third Jug appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Have to say, being involved in the Jug team was a thoroughly positive and new type of experience for me. There was a lot of talk of prep and getting ready both in terms of your game as well as being ready mentally for a tough battle. There was no shortage of helpful advice shared from the wealth of experience from the team members, which I leaned on heavily.

The day itself went great, got to the range down the road to warm up hitting some balls to loosen up. Then up to the clubhouse for a bite to eat with my playing partner for the day Slave and a catch-up with most of the other team members.

The game itself started on a rocky note for me, I didn't get the start I wanted on the first with some poor shots, and on the second I lost a ball when I pulled a 7i setup shot from the middle of the fairway on the par 5 - I saw it land and despite 4 of us spending the 3 mins searching, it was declared lost.

Started to get into my stride from the 6th hole on, and we battled from 1 down to get to 4up by the 14th. Lost 15 and 16, despite me being in prime position after 2 shots on 16 and mis-hitting my chipped 3rd.

Finally got it closed out with a birdie on 17.

Can't thank Slave enough for his play on the day, he turned out to be an ideal partner for me and kept very positive, calm and unflustered when I was struggling and just as balanced and grounded when we were going well.

Thanks also to RR for his organisation and motivation, as well as advice and guidance in the weeks leading up. Break80 definitely helped inspire fear into both us and the reps, hovering around menacingly every couple of holes! Some good words of advice and motivation at key times of the round also.

Looking forward to the first outing in march already!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

What a day, what a record breaking win.

Congratulations to RR on having every detail absolutely spot on. This day will live with you forever no doubt about it.

Congratulations to ye all on a fabulous display of sheer grit, no matter what the score was at any stage of my travels, I could see a determination in your eyes that said ye were going to give it your all which to a man ye did.

Ye should be proud of that fact because every match was tight to the last 5 holes.

Loved every minute of it. Next year I might try to get out of the buggy and swing a club in this competition. It's a great experience to be involved either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Another great day out with the Boardsies made all the more sweeter with a resounding victory.

I was playing ok golf up to about a month ago but I’ve been off the boil since. However there have been enough signs that I know it’s not totally gone. It was similar on Saturday. The heavy rough was tough to play out of and not finding fairways was making things difficult. Myself and space found ourselves 1 down through 2 and I wasn’t hitting it at all well. But I wasn’t worried, I knew we had it in us to turn it round. I flushed a drive down 3 over the path and just held up in front of the water. A decent approach to about 15 foot and a confident putt found the bottom of the hole to get it back to level. A solid par 3 on the next for a half but we were up against a very strong Reps player who was rock solid and was not letting us in the door at all.

Then the other Rep hit us with a moment of Magic. A sweet strike on the par 3 7th, landed about 2 foot short of the hole, rolled forward and dropped for a fantastic hole in 1.

we turned 3 down but a couple of poor holes from the reps and we were level through 13 and halved 14. But the Reps struck again with a fantastic approach from 215 yards to 15 feet on the index 3 and whilst I managed to get inside him, I was playing a second ball so back to 1 down.

then I found my form, well kinda 🤣 didn’t hit a great shot on 16, I was trying to cut corner with the drive but didn’t get the loft. I couldn’t see it with the low sun but space felt it was ok. Better and further right than I really wanted. Both were easily found and in good shape even if in rough (second ball 80 yards closer to hole though). A good 5 iron for position but with the ball a bit below my feet drifted a little right into the rough 80 yards out. I thought I played a perfect approach but I guess heavy rough took a bit of pace off it and I came up short. Not a great chip ran on a bit but another confident 8 footer found the bottom of the hole and with reps not getting up and down from the back of the green we were all square.

on 17 space hit a peach, pin night but slightly right. My ball went same line but a little further into the rough, but standing over it and only about 4 meters from the hole I fancied myself hoping the chip……. Not quite but a tap in par and reps both missed their chances to half the hole. Phew, we can’t loose now and it was the first time we were up in the match. Played 18 with a good drive of slightly left to avoid the trouble and with an 8 iron in hand my approach finished on the green about 25-30 foot below the hole. A great putt for pace finished hole high but a big push left me with a 6 footer. Thankfully I knew at that stage I had 2 putts for at least a half of the hole but I only needed the one to close the game out 2up 😁

my partner on the day was his usual rock solid self. Neither of us played to anywhere near our abilities, but while the reps were so strong over the front 9 it was experience and stamina which got us over the line.

so that’s 11 Jugs played and I’ve been lucky enough to have played each of the last 10 (missed the first one as I hadn’t joined the society at that stage)

Record, played 10, won 5, halved 3 lost 2

a nice few days golf ahead with some of the crew now up north so off to pack the bags.

well done all players, Captain and vice. Thanks to all society members for making it another great year. Thanks to the reps for a great game. See yiz all in 2024

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well done everyone, super win.

• Advertisement

How many?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

It sounds like an absolutely great event each year regardless of the result. Although I'd say the result didn't do any harm to your enjoyment of this year's match!

Well done all, class golf.

6 of the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Great stuff lads. well done on the huge win!!!

Advertisement