Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v New Zealand Oct 14 Build up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I know, everyone's different.

For me 48 hours out is way too soon to be wasting nervous energy. Waking up Saturday morning with butterflies acceptable 😊

If you're too nervous, I mean nervous to the point you can hardly function, there are 101 ways of distracting yourself.

He was spot on with SA v Ireland wasn't it. Exact points differential and near score.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Its a 50 50 game, could go either way. Hope we win but if we lose I hope people don't lose their sh1t and they remember Irish rugby is still in its infancy compared to France new Zealand South Africa England and even Wales , regardless of how this world cup goes for Ireland, Irish rugby's best days lie ahead due to the growth in rugby across Ireland.

Great if win make the semis though

That's a good point re. the future of Irish rugby, its growth, the talent at U20s for the past decade etc.

And the fact that sport is sport and nothing is won on paper.

• Advertisement

Just on the subject of being nervous about the game, I'm not belittling anyone or how they feel.

Just if you get nervous a long way out from the game you end up exhausted and don't enjoy the match and aftermath as much IMO. There's a great chance we'll have something amazing to celebrate by 10pm Saturday 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

He was doing the same thing with Carbery in the six nations last year. I don't know if he gets a rush of blood to the head but he doesn't think and just tap and goes but if Sexton is not around I hope someone reins him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Seadin

The build up to this game reminds me of 2009 when Ireland were trying to make history by winning a Grand Slam for the first time in 61 years. The nerves coming up to the game and believing we were good enough to win it but because history wasn't kind to us with Grands Slams previous to that, there was always that view we may not win even though we were more than good enough to do so.

I think Ireland can win Saturday, I would love if we are on the 75 minute and we are ahead in a commanding lead and having room for error. This would be amazing if this was the case.

Gatland did a fair bit of stirring that week. The Welsh players least favourite players were the Irish etc.

I remember how confident the old Hook, Popey and O'Shea panel were at half time that we'd win, even though the score was 6-0 to Wales.

Great for Crowley to be getting all this training camp time with Sexton before he retires. It must be a great education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm sure we'll be fine. We've since become the crypto of rugby - fully decentralized governance!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think I remember you having a few very accurate predictions in the 6N. What had you predicted for the pool games before I part with my precious fiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I just feel this Irish side could handle that 20 minute period better. Looks at the tee we I Scottish matches this year, losing both hookers and a couple of others in the six nations and losing both wingers by half time last week.

Theres an air to this team and if the crowd is anything like the last two games, that would spur them on even further.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Don't think the crowd will be as Irish as the last few times, a lot of neutrals that would have sold the tickets on will now be going to the games, just to experience/see two great teams going at each other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I agree with the core point, but the game is not 50/50. We've already put ourselves in a position where a knockout game against NZ is very much 60/40 in our favour which is great. But losing 40% of the time is still a high chance to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The nerves are building nicely now! I’m not going to act overly confident but neither am I going to be as quick as a lot of people seem to want to be to write us off.

We won the Six Nations with a Grand Slam, we won the Test Series in NZ by two games to one beating the ABs at home for the very first time, we’ve beaten the reigning world champions in the pool stage and we’re the Number One team in the World. Surely all of that counts for something.

The ABs are not to be feared the way they once were.

I also don’t think we’ll have as much to worry about injury wise as it might initially have seemed.

We are capable of beating anyone on our day and to say we have little to no chance Saturday is blatantly untrue.

If ever the lads needed us to be the 16th man it’s now. Never underestimate the difference have the crowd behind them can make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I am wondering how much Irish is expected.. Lots of planes and routes Dublin -> Paris are booked out so will be a very strong Irish component but wonder how much!

I will be making my journey tomorrow via Gatwick + Eurostar. Should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

they are playing a mash up of Zombie and Ireland's Call now on Classic Hits. It's horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think we may well see a few cards on Saturday as a result of nerves/enthusiasm/infringements/etc Similar to the 2nd test in NZ which had 4 cards if I recall correctly. Hopefully they are all on the Kiwi side.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I'm sorry, I wasn't really giving tips during the group phase. I just said we'd beat South Africa by 6-10 points and we'd beat Scotland 35-16. I was a bit off so I apologise to my loyal followers but I'm feeling good about the New Zealand prediction. 27-14 sounds about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I agree. It is going to be fairly intense as the two teams lay down early markers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd say Paris will be mobbed with us, but the stadium itself will be more even.

Although, in saying that, I know a fair number of people paying ridiculous amounts of money for a ticket, so maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Fair play to him for putting it out there but id keep it in your pocket!

The biggest margin Ireland have ever beaten NZ is 11 points.

The idea that Ireland are going to beat them by more than that in a 1/4 final is fanciful.

NZ will fly into everything with a raging intensity from the start. Yes I expect Ireland to do the same but NZ in KO rugby is a different beast.

They will put everything into the opening 10mins knowing that they must score the first try to win.

Stuart Barnes summed it up well at the wkend "NZ are brilliant or they get beaten"

That NZ bench with Coles, Christie, Whitelock & ALB is there to contain

And Williams & Newell? - mobility props. Early 50'min subs.

Ireland kicked their early pens to corner v SA. I'd kick the points in KO rugby.

I'll pick 23 v 17

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Murray Kinsella is posting videos from the captain's run at Stade fe France. James Ryan is back and taking part on the pitch which is fantastic. Mack Hansen's calf is very heavily strapped as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Ya I'm fierce nervous, we are rightly number 1 but the AB's have history and tradition etc, watched their highlights of France game recently and they scored 2 great tries in that game through telea, they can transition from defence to attack very quick and they will bring a fierce ferocity to this game, I think we can win by using our superior pack but if it gets loose them backs they possess are lethal, up ireland though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sorry but you're wrong. The NZ public have very low expectations for this ABs side. They weren't expecting to win this world cup. Not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

I just fear nz starting really fast, a couple of quick tries and then it's catch up for us, we get a few injuries and it all ends in damp squib. Another worry Is we are winning ,but we make a mistake or 2 be it knock on and with turn over NZ score from deep against run of play.

Above is worst case scenario, I also then switchb to we beat them by 12-15 and with 5 mins to go we are comfortable and again saying wow we really are hood.

• Advertisement

Heavy strapping or not, great to see Hansen in Captains run

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement