Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v New Zealand Oct 14 Build up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭TRC10

I misread that first time as "Ireland and the rest of the UK"

Thought things were going to get very spicy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,285 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's an interesting idea in theory but NZ are not all used to being underdogs, it's a very strange / alien experience for them. Given their history in the game, there may well be more pressure on them than Ireland (not used to playing against sides who are ranked well above them and who favourites to beat them).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Damn it!! That would have been perfect. Missed opportunity 😆. But I see @sydthebeat has already brought up that little injury he got on the British Lions tour in 2005. So predictable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It's possible to think that this is the best Irish team ever

... who seem to be peaking at the right time

... against a weaker-than-usual NZ team

... and that we should win if we play to our potential

and yet still bit a nervous owing to our history in QF's.

Read somewhere that it is only the 5th time in history that the ABs are underdogs for the TAB (NZ state betting agency) since they started taking bets on rugby in 1998. And the ABs lost all 4 of the previous matches (to the Boks in SA).

Post edited by Yeah_Right on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It really wouldn't be big upset. There's little between the teams and a yellow or red card could swing the game one way or another. I'll be disappointed if we lose but for that to happen I think NZ will have to be at their best. If that happens then you just have to accept it and move on. It won't be a disaster if we are beaten by NZ firing on all cylinders. It's sport and you take the highs with the lows.

All that being said, we have all the tools we wanted to face any of the other Top 4 sides, incredible defence, ability to score tries, control where we play the game, best short game of any team, and an incredible work rate. We now need to get a bit of luck, which has been sorely missing in any WC knockout game to date.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

‘Apart from a blitz of 4 tries in 20 minutes’

Exactly

Isnt that exactly the fear?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,280 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Exactly this. Bookies have it a 2 point game. That seems about right to me.

I think above all, Ireland need a good start, as much to ensure any QF doubts don't start creeping in. Fortunately 1) this team seem very mentally strong and well capable mentally of bouncing back from adversity and 2) have a history of coming flying out of the blocks themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭TheRona

Agreed. NZ need a good start for the same reason. They need to put Ireland into an uncomfortable place they haven't been before. I mentioned a while ago that I don't think they've come from more than a score behind to win at any point in their current winning run, so they've never had to feel scoreboard pressure, particularly in a do-or-die game.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the first 20 minutes are going to be so important that I expect to see fireworks from both teams. It's a shame I'm not a neutral for this game because I can't remember the last time these two teams played and it wasn't an absolute belter of a game.

I think we might see some new strike plays from us early on. If we score early I think some doubt will start to creep in to NZ but it's going to take another 80 minute defensive display like we had against SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

" .. that I don't think they've come from more than a score behind to win in their current winning run"

OR

"..that I don't think they've ever been more than a score behind in their current winning run"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ireland are favorites by 2 points. Most Irish fans wanted NZ as opposed to France at home. Ireland won a series in NZ. Ireland have a terrible history in QF’s. As much as I think Ireland can win, probably should win. There is no way this game is anything close to a gimme. Anything can happen in a game of rugby and if two sides are only divided by one score by the bookies, it’s easy for that to be turned around.

Im hoping both sides play to their potential and we have a cracking game. I think if that happens though, Ireland come out on top. They are just a slightly better team at the moment in my opinion.

I might be watching from behind the sofa though.

I can't remember the last time these two teams played and it wasn't an absolute belter of a game.

Other than the last QF, you probably have to go back over a decade to to that 60-0 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ozzyo

I dont know what the management are going to say but I do know that's what the team are going to try to do. U see the SA game? u think they were trying to leave borderline late hits on him??

2003 had put a lot into the Australia game. We should have beaten them and played Scotland in the QF. Scotland were beatable by an average Irish team. France turned up for the QF. They had good players winning Grand Slams in those years. 2002, 2004, 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I don't think I am. If theyre not in the top 3 they are in the top 4! But I'd put SA 4th. France are going to beat them by at least 15!

That SA v NZ in Twickenham is really an irrelevancy .

The NZ v SA in July is the game people need to look at to see what this current iteration of NZ are capable of.

The Fra v NZ is a good example of the strengths of France and NZ.

And It did highlight where NZ are at their weakest - The Pack - we all know it.

Scrum: de Groot was penalised twice in the opening half an hour

Ruck: Outfought at the breakdown by France *Frizell didn't play

As I've said before Ireland don't need any convincing that they can beat NZ. Same for the NZ 9-15 over Ireland.

They scored 6 tries v Ire in the 1st test and this is now a better coached NZ side.

If NZ score the first try it's going to be a massive challenge for Ireland to win.

& Vice Versa

I remember that game all too well. It was an awful hiding we got that day.

In any game of rugby you can get a ball coming off the post or favourable bounce for one team. You can't be totally confident you'll win any game, with fairly even opposition, with a game that provides more bizarre scores than probably any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭TheRona

About as good as you could hope for. Telea out means an opportunity for Leicester. Would have gone for Roigard, but happy enough otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Coles, Williams and Newell on the bench?

That's surprised me anyway

Im happy to see Coles on the bench. Hes prob the only player in the world I love to hate! (& the Welsh!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dhobnob

Hi all,

I have a flight for this Saturday to give away for face cost 360 - cost to change name 150 = EUR 210. Ryanair flight FR3026 taking off at 12:25 landing at 15:00 in Bauvais shuttle bus ticket included.

I developed an ear infection after last flight as I flew with a head cold and am now traveling by ferry.

Message me if interested, thanks.

Cmon Ireland!!! 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭TRC10

Never been more nervous for a game of rugby than I am for this. This game has been in the back of my mind ever since the quarter final hammering in 2019. Every Ireland game since has been viewed through the prism of what it means for this game. Genuinely feels like a defining match for Irish rugby. I've said this before but I believe we need to deliver our greatest ever performance to win on Saturday. If we can win this, than anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,285 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I still wouldn't have them down as two very evenly matched teams with the game on a knife edge - it's more akin to the 2019 WC game, but in reverse.

Completely agree though a couple of yellows or a red card could totally change the complexion, ditto with injuries to key players.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,915 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm not being arrogant or blind here, but man-for-man, that All Blacks side appears to me to be inferior to their Irish opposite numbers and also past it as a whole.

I'm well aware it retains the collective talent to beat us if we are off our game, but if Ireland are at their best, I do not think they will beat us.

Especially our pack; I think like the games against Scotland and even South Africa, we have it within us to give them a real schooling in forward play. And that means no platform.

Looks like a cool, damp night in Paris on Saturday, in front of 70,000 well oiled Irish loons. I wouldn't fancy much being a Kiwi on or off the field frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Wasn't that 46-14 or something? I think Ireland will win but not by anything remotely close to that. We annihilated Scots and it was much closer than that.

Id fancy NZ to win by 30+ before I'd expect it from us, even though, as I said, I think we will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

If NZ are relying on that bench to make a difference ...

Would have Roigard in ahead of Christie. Surprising.

Prediction : Jordan gets 1st YC

Would have selected Roigard on the bench ahead of Christie and swapped Papali'i and Cane. Possibly would have gone Taukei'aho ahead of Coles on the bench as well. Is the team named good enough to beat Ireland? Yes. Will they? Unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Went back and watched the first half of the first test in Eden Park, looking to identify where it all went wrong.

In fact, we actually played really well. Got the opening try and damn near could have been 12-0 up by 15 mins if Barrett didn't make a spectacular intercept here when we had a 2-v-1.

Their opening try showed a lack of cohesion on our D (mostly a lazy effort to make up numbers on the open side). Their second try was obviously a gift when our attack got a bit sloppy.

So we found ourselves 14-5 down when it could so easily have been 5-12 or even 0-12. But that's what you get with the All Blacks, who will ruthlessly punish even the slightest imperfection.

The next try we conceded, however, is probably the easiest area we can (and hopefully have) improved. We win a penalty in midfield, 45 yards out, dead centre of the pitch. JGP taps and and passes wide to Ringrose who is easily covered. A few phases later we turn it over. Criminal decision (not sure if it was all on JGP, he seemed to look up and get a shout that the tap was on). But you've just conceded 2 tries, chance to at least slow things down, give Joey a shot at the sticks, or a touch-finder to get his confidence up. Instead the All-Blacks get into our territory (largely thanks to a poor box-kick by JGP). We have a chance to clear our lines from a lineout but JGP picks-and-goes, isolates himself in our own 22, and NZ turn-over and hit us immediately for their third try.

An opportunity to claw it back to 14-8, or at least get deep into their territory, and it's instead 21-5, largely down to a handful of poor decisions (did I mention.. All Blacks.... ruthless...).

JGP featured heavily in the above, and look, anyone can slice a kick or respond to a shout without thinking. But you nonetheless have three strikes against him in a 10-15 point swing in circumstances. I don't know if he feels like he is running things when a more junior 10 is at the helm (two other scenarios come to mind: The Heineken Cup final, where apparently he and Byrne had conflicting objectives for the drop goal; the Autumnal test where Crowley started against Aus and rarely got the ball). But there's no way in HELL he taps-and-goes if Sexton is on the field.

He might have also been a bit amped to be playing a test in his country of birth for the first time. We have also developed our leadership and group-wide decision making a great deal in the ensuing 18 months. So I'd be confident the team will control things a lot better, even if Sexton has to go off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement