Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Dumbbell Set?

Options
  • 06-10-2023 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend what dumbbell size is should buy? Use is for home and simple exercise, just to ease in... is 1,2 & 3kg suitable or do I need to think about larger weights?

This is just to start me off, I'll invest again once I'm up and running.

187cm, 100kg, M

PhysKcal Dumbbells Set of 6 with Storage Stand, Hand Weights Set for Body Toning, Cardio, Strength Training at Home https://amzn.eu/d/0CJJ6MP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Get heavier, 10-15kg either side to begin with and work up. Those you have shared are very light.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You'd be better off doing some basic exercises like press ups for a few weeks, start low reps good form and next day try do an extra one. If you're tired or sore any day take that day off. Once you're able to do 12 press ups you'd be needing adjustable dumbells starting a lot heavier than those. You're a tall man nearly 16 stone weight why would you want dumbells that light ffs.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

That's why I'm asking you **** clown! How am I supposed to know without looking for the information. Don't be a gatekeeper. I'm asking a question so that I can get started.

I answered your question as best I could, take it from me it's solid advice.

And it's free.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

I agree with your advice however I wouldn't recommend doing press ups everyday I'd recommend doing either a full body workout and a day of rest or doing a split where you do one day of upper body and another day focusing on your lower body, if you can't do a full push-up start with wall push-ups and once you can do a few of them then move on to using a chair and progress from there.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Push-ups are actually a pretty poor starter exercise for many beginners, particularly those weighing 100kg. Even doing them to an elevated surface can be very challenging and hard to progress. Free weights are a much better option imo as the weight can be scaled to their ability level.

OP, I would probably look into spending the money on a pair of adjustable dumbbells. Expensive but at least gives you a way of scaling the difficulty over time. 3 kilos is not going to be challenging enough for probably anything other than lateral raises.

Press ups are practically a full body workout on their own, particularly for a beginner. Concentrating on good form with low reps shouldn't overtax the muscles (or the brain) so much that there is soreness the following day but if there is, as said, skip them that day and let the muscles recover properly before trying again the following day.

The idea of encouraging him to do them everyday is to instil a sense of discipline and commitment. If he's not bothered to research how useful a set of 1kg dumbells would be to a tall 16 stone man then I have my doubts about his level of seriousness and commitment. If he can build himself up to doing 12 press ups over a few weeks then there's a chance the first set of dumbells he buys won't be gathering dust in a corner until some child discovers them and has a new toy.

As someone who’s trained a lot of beginners, I’m going to have to disagree. There’s nothing magical about push-ups. I like them, but they’re just not a great option for beginners. You wouldn’t start anyone on any other exercise where the weight is that challenging. The average joe can barely do 1 proper full range push up starting off. It’s just unnecessarily hard and dodgey for injury.

As for the whole discipline thing, that’s a crock of sh*t and is the exact ‘all or nothing’ narrative that stops people getting into training long term. The average person can make plenty of progress starting on just one or two sessions per week, and they’ll be much more likely to keep it up.

As some who has trained hundreds of beginners and dozens of the "more advanced", I respectfully disagree.

The average Joe is not 6ft 2" and weighing nearly 16 stone.

Horses for courses, if the chap can't do one proper press up after trying everyday for a few weeks he either needs to forget about it or go see a doctor, a life coach or a sports psychologist. If he can manage one then he should try and do an extra one the next day and so on until he can do 12 in one go. If he's too sore any day he should take that day off.

If you think press ups are unnecessarily hard and likely to cause injury then God help the poor beginners that you instructed.

Your quote "As for the whole discipline thing, that's a crock of sh*t" and your supposition that it is "the exact 'all or nothing' narrative that stops people getting into training long term", says a lot about you.

No.1 You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

No.2 You don't comprehend the written word.

I made 3 posts in this thread, 2 were giving advice and in both of those I specifically stated if tired or sore take that day off. There are very few people in this world who would interpret that is an 'all or nothing' narrative but congratulations Cill94 because you are in that fairly exclusive club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Getting back to the original question:-

The difficulty is the same person might ideally use a wide variety of DB sets.

You might use quite light, 2.5-10kg DBs for many shoulder isolation movements.

You could potentially bench and press anything from 10kg to 30kg DBs (or heavier, at your weight).

For lower body movements you could be someone that is fried doing goblet squats with a single 16kg, or you might be stronger and use a pair of 16kg DBs for split squats.

Without getting into the pushup debate.. Not a bad yardstick. If you can't do 5 decent pushups then err on the lighter side with your purchases. If you can bang out 10-20 decent pushups then err on the heavier range.

I'd buy a light set, a middle of the road set and then buy a pretty challenging set for your pressing and lower body work.

So to give the example, if you think you are not that strong and want to start light, you could buy a set of 4-6kg kg DBs, a set of 8-10kg DBs and a pair of 16kg DBs. I pick these numbers based on your BW. They are not light for most beginners.

If youre confident you're stronger I'd get a set of 8-10kg DBs, a set of 16kgs and then a heavier set in the 20kg-30kg range, and go from there.

I'm thinking of hex DB sets here.

You could also look at 1-2 Kettlebells. A 12kg, 16kg or 16kg and 20kg. They're quite versatile, easy to store and would be cheaper than a full selection of good quality DBs, or adjustable DBs.

• Advertisement

if the chap can't do one proper press up after trying everyday for a few weeks he either needs to forget about it or go see a doctor, a life coach or a sports psychologist.

There are very few people in this world who would interpret that is an 'all or nothing' narrative but congratulations Cill94 because you are in that fairly exclusive club.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mod Note: you need to moderate the tone of your posts. Stop being so arrogant and insulting other posters. I consider it uncivil. Either post politely or don't post at all

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

@Black Sheep Thanks, that's very comprehensive and much appreciated. I'll get a range of dumbbells, and will go for a heavier selection, I believe that the 8kg might be useful in the first week or two but can see myself progressing upwards relatively quickly. I've also been offered some 12 &16kg kettlebells.

Post edited by Bluefoam on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I’m not a trainer like the other helpful posters here so only speaking form experience.I was where you are now about 12 months ago and didn’t know what weights to start with.I would suggest 7.5 & 10kg dumbbells and one of the cheap 20kg pump bars.That will be sufficient to start with and if you’re still keen in a few months , buy the next weight up.I found it very satisfying having to go out and buy heavier weights after a few months ,It was nice to know I was making progress .

Or go into one of the larger fitness shops and try your hand with a few different weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you are set on dumbbells, get an adjustable set. Different exercises utilise vastly different weights.

I don't solely use dumbbells. But so far this year, I've probably used multiple sized DBs from 8kg to 50kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Fallout2022

This is the best way to do it. You also have the option of eventually getting a barbell on which you can use the same weight plates. You can always get additional plates as you get stronger.

Advertisement