Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier League broadcasting rights from 2025.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I have NOW and alternatives, I had no choice on Sunday when I wanted to watch my team play. They were only available to view via alternative sources so that is what I did. It is neither my problem/fault that Sky chose not to broadcast the game. I simply found a station that was showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

There is no extra outlay in terms of cameras, pundits etc. EVERY Premier League game is broadcast live on the PL's own world feed. As an example, the Liverpool game had Michael Owen and Owen Hargreaves as pundits in the studio and was broadcast in Australia/South Africa etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The UK broadcasters produce the pictures for the world feed - PLP add the studio content, commentators, analysis etc but do not produce the pictures.

Sky and TNT produce the games they show themselves. Im not sure how they divvy up the non-TV games (and I’m also pretty certain the BBC are involved in producing some of those) but there may well be an increased cost for Sky if they are showing a greater percentage of the games than they did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think the EPL staved off any sort of rights value meltdown by structuring the packages and duration the way they did.

They can come out with a big headline figure of it being the most valuable rights deal ever and leave it up to the individual to calculate the actual value per game, which of course is lower this time than last.

The duration and number of packages also meant that only the established broadcasters were likely to bid, it was too risky for a DAZN or other online provider.

I wonder if the EPL are buying time before going it alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Butson

Possibility of planning to go it alone in the future.

Also could simply be a case of if it's not broken, don't fix it. Richest league in the world by a country mile and whether consumers like it or not, Sky are a major part of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think it's very much of the not broken don't fix.

Sky having four of five and TNT the other is about as safe a pair of hands as you could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rain Spreading From The West

Any word on the Republic of Ireland rights at all? I know we generally follow the UK, bar the Saturday 3pm ko’s. Premier for these again I’d guess?

Advertisement