Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier League broadcasting rights from 2025.

Options
  • 05-10-2023 11:11pm

Interesting article from RXTV about the upcoming bidding process for the Premier League broadcasting rights starting in August 2025. It appears the next cycle may be for 4 years and not the usual 3 like now. Also it seems the smaller packages like Amazon in the UK have now may be scrapped in favour of fewer packages that will have more games. The total number of games on TV per season will increase from the current 200.

It's expected up to 4 broadcasters may bid. One interesting outcome is that Sky may end up in less of a dominant position than it is now, as if more than 2 broadcasters win rights you could see a more even split of games among the winners. I don't think the fans would like this outcome as an even split among, say, 3 different broadcasters might mean needing to have 3 different subs to watch games.

Comments

Also discussed in this Financial Times piece:

Daily Mail article saying that DAZN will enter the bidding war with Amazon ending it's interest.

Nothing mentioned in any of the articles about how this will affect the RoI and what Premier Sports will do.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nor will there be in any UK press article.

And right now this is all just speculation and needs to be treated as such. Don’t take a thing as being gospel until the RFT issues.

Here we go again!

Main points:

• Five packages each linked to one of the traditional time slots: Sunday 2pm, Sunday 4:30pm, Saturday 12:30pm, Saturday 5:30pm and MNF/FNF.
    • 3pm ban remains, but any matches shifted to Sunday for European football reasons will be shown live.
    • 5 entire midweek rounds plus all matches on the final day to be shown live.
    • no single buyer allowed acquire any more than 4 packages.

This is the UK tender. The Irish media rights is supposedly separate. Apart from the surprise Premier Sports win of Amazon’s BH/midweek package last time around (way back in 2018, because the rights were extend because of Covid) the same bidders have always won the same rights in Ireland as UK. The Irish rights normally also include an additional package of 32 3pm Saturday games plus one 4:30pm Sunday game.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Manc-Red_

I’d say it’ll be similar setup in a winning sense to now in the UK and eventually down the line for Ireland.

Those 2pm games on a Sunday that can’t be played on a Saturday, that will be now live is a welcome addition though, lots were/are viewing those illegally via IPTV.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

Interesting. One broadcaster can potentially have 4 out of the 5 packages. Are Sky's pockets deep enough yet again to put in a whopper of a bid to see off what will probably be stronger opposition this time?

• Advertisement

A few takeaways:

I think the reduction in number of packages from seven to five will militate against a third player being involved. That in turn will make it difficult to see a new entrant (ie Dazn) unless they oust TNT. I think Amazon probably now will pull out, the package that was effectively tailor made for them is gone.

Most likely, Sky will target retaining Super Sunday, which they’ve had since the PL was set up, I’d suggest they’ll probably also want to keep the evening games, though that’ll be less priority, and there was a period where the Saturday evening and MNF slots went to Setanta and briefly ESPN. I think TNT will target keeping Saturday 12:30pm, although I wouldn’t rule out them moving to Saturday 5:30pm which BT had for a period and ESPN/Setanta before that.

Every PL auction since 2007 has had some sort of a twist, so there may well be a surprise here. What Dazn do now will be interesting, they’re the most likely new entrant, if they do table a successful bid I’d suggest it’ll probably be for one of the Saturday packages and possibly at the expense of TNT. I can’t really see anyone else entering, Amazon are retreating a bit from live sports, Viaplay are on the way out the door and won’t be picking up anything new, ESPN won’t be back in the near future and Premier/Setanta will probably leave it a while before trying the UK again, if they ever do.

If I were to lay a bet, I would conservatively say TNT to get one of the Saturday packages, Sky the rest and Amazon to leave with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

That’s a very comprehensive analysis. Premier to keep the Irish Saturday 3pm rights probably? Kind of difficult to see Sky coming back in for them.

Yes, I don’t see them going anywhere, they really were of no benefit to Sky. The only other player I’d see possibly moving in on them might be VMTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Based on that would you think a "bidding war" is likely or not?

I'd say it's not, with the two main broadcasters settling on keeping what they already have.

Plus there is the elephant in the room of illegal streaming which the bidders will be using as leverage.

Best if just two got it IMO. Any more than that and it would be a nightmare in term of fans having to fork out for multiple subs.

• Advertisement

I'd say it'll be two main and one via stream in the UK - Premier for Ireland

Interesting article from the Daily Mirror sounding a note of caution over the idea that the PL is hoping that in going from 200 to 270 live tv games a season will mean a corresponding bump in revenue earned. Also thinks that the lack of a package that Amazon currently has will deter prospective new entrants who want to test the market first before committing fully to a bigger bid later on.

Daily Mail reporting that, as with the last time, the BBC are the only bidders for the highlights package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Tender closes tomorrow - 30th. Sometimes if there is a dramatic difference in the tenders the PL will announce the winners of certain packages there and then. They will then say bids for others have gone to another round to be announced at a later date. I wonder will this happen tomorrow?

Sky have won four packages, TNT the final package, Amazon have lost out.

Premier League press release. Sky have packages B, C, D and E. TNT have package A. Not surprisingly the BBC have the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

I’m surprised. It means Amazon or indeed any other streaming-only platform are frozen out of Premier League football in the UK and presumably Ireland for the remainder of this decade after the deal comes into force.

Looks like it alright if the RoI follows the UK as it has done up to now and Sky & TNT get the rights. The only thing to be decided then is the Saturday 3pm games package currently held by Premier Sports.

• Advertisement

Amazon being out isn’t really a surprise, the reduction in the number of packages really did them in, left no room for the FAPL to spread things among more than two providers. Probably safe to assume Sky and TNT will be awarded mirror rights. I suppose the biggest surprise of this tender is that there actually isn’t a surprise at all, no twist involving a new entrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£6.7B is crazy money really so that works out about £6m per live game.

Are Sky and TNT really making that kind of money from subscribers?

The per game amount is down somewhat on the current deal isn't it? For 2022 to 2025 (3 seasons), £5.1 billion for 600 games was paid by the TV companies. Works out at 8.5 million a game. This deal is over 4 seasons for 270 games a season (total 1080), which gives the 6.2 million a game amount.

If they even try to price-hike the already overpriced subscriptions they currently have - they’ll be playing directly into IPTV’s hands

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Butson

Anecdotally all we hear about is IPTV and "dogy boxes".

Maybe its over stated? Surely if its as widespread as it seems, Sky have to be taking a hammering?

It is overstated.

Those who resort to piracy are almost evangelical about it and usually make the bold claim that everybody is using illegal means.

The reality is that if everybody really were using them, then nobody would be paying Sky, and Sky would be out of business.

Both Sky and the pirates rely on the same thing, ironically enough. That piracy will remain a minority sport, and enough people will continue to pay the legal rights holders enough to keep them making a profit. The pirates like their business, but if everyone went pirate, they’d have no content, because they need the legitimate operators to actually go to the grounds, film the games, and produce and broadcast the content. You know, all the things the pirates don’t have to do because they are stealing someone else’s work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Sky's main sport income is the hospitality sector, if every household went the dodgy-box route they wouldn't even notice.

We hear at the start of the premier league season every year that there's a crack-down on these boxes, I think the timing is not coincidental

I think simultaneous KOs exacerbates the problem somewhat, especially the Sunday 2PMs. If one didn't want to watch the game Sky was showing, what would one do? No longer a problem obviously from 2025 when Sky will show all these particular games. Hopefully Now TV in the RoI will address this issue too, as they don't currently mirror Sky Sports red button output.

The majority of people I know that have dodgy boxes are on either Sky or Virgin for basic and say Netflix and use this hardware for Sports purposes only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Butson

Would be interesting to see if Sky increase the prices on their packages given they are now showing 100 extra games per year. Somebody mentioned above the cost per game is down on the rights, but the cost to them overall will increase. Huge money goes behind each broadcast with tech teams on the ground, cameras, sound, pundits and the marketing of games.

It's a serious outlay.

I would think Now TV has been a success.

Advertisement