Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I refuse a smart meter?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I am still making more on the deemed export than I would on exporting. 3 EVs and 45kwh of storage. I'm not refusing the smart meter (as opposed to a smart tariff, as you rightly point out) but I'm more than happy to wait for them to contact me!

You only dont get paid the deemed export if you refuse, not if you are waiting for them to contact you! I got deemed export paid on my christmas bill. A nice addition alongside the 150 quid credit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Or the builders of your house or a previous owner did it, tying you (and any subsequent owners) into it, as is my case!

A previous owner did it in my case, but I was able to get the smart meter removed and a day night meter fitted when we bought in 2022.

But yes, it's pretty crap if a prior owner, builder or tenant, is able to tie you into a smart meter and smart tariff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Fair enough. Was in a similar position but they got to me in October at the start of the Smart D/N rollout. Seems like they are prioritising anyone with solar so only a matter of time.

I agree with you, stayed on deemed export as long as possible but for me, I'm financially better off on a Smart D/N staying on D/N tariff and getting actual export (alternative would have been no export at all).

The chap came out to me to ask if I wanted it, I said I'd only had the smart meter removed for the day night last year and that I wasnt really interested but wouldnt refuse. That was october, and they havent been back since, but I'm still getting deemed export.

• Advertisement

Guy might have done you a favour so and just put you to the back of the queue.

If you call ESBN they can tell you if a refusal is logged against your MPRN but it doesn't sound like it if you're still getting deemed export.

Might as well enjoy it while it lasts. My actual export is a tiny fraction of the deemed export I was getting (due to EVs, Eddi and Batteries)

I think I'll leave well enough alone and not call!

Absolutely. My plan is, once I'm on metered export, to charge the batteries to full from the grid every night, then dump any excess to the grid just before the end of day rate time, as well as all generated solar being sent to the grid (export payment being higher than night rate, it makes no sense to use the solar myself when I could store night rate electricity and use that in the day instead)

But unless and until I'm change to a RM108 day night smart meter, I'll continue doing as I do now which sounds the same as what you are.

Exactly spot on.

When on deemed export I used to try manage the charge using Home Assistant prodictions.

Now I fully charge my 15kwh every night and just let any excess flow back. Of course between tx losses and wear and tear I'd say it negates the difference between the night rate and the feed in rate but it makes for easier system management. I won't need to changes settings until March maybe.

Advertisement