Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm payments 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭joe35

Still nothing here. I've 5 parcels of land. Ams is currently checking 2 parcels. 1 is mountain owened the other is commonage. No response required. Yet. They're only small parcels of land. Its only 10 acres in total so not a big deal. I just hate the way everything is held back.

I don't see why these checks couldn't have been carried out earlier in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I bought some in 2 different lots. Got confirmation on 8th September that the transfer was gone through for both lots. Both lots were purchased from the same person so possibly seen as one transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Cran

nothing here either, had map digitalization query for .1 hc end Sept as split a plot for acres responded same day and I presume that’s holding it up.

Worst part is will hold up another payment no doubt near same value as BISS. Really frustrating 3rd year a row had payments held up due to dept slowness or clerical error

• Registered Users Posts: 18 farmqi28

Yeah I transferred some most were already transferred but the last few were put on hold and I was told by department they should be finalised within the next few weeks. It will hold up payments until it is sorted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Is the BISS payment the new SFP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ah that explains it.

Have alot of invoices out and no sign of anyone to arrive with payment which was unsual tbh.

Don't get payments myself so it's all new to me.

Just was wondering as I prefer not to put pressure on people whenever I can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Biss and Criss hit the Doormat here 2day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭older by the day

So I see it's 70percent of biss and criss tomorrow. The eco separate next week and the rest in December.

Is that right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Does anyone know when the payment for acres is starting? No answers anywhere online

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭massey 265

Acres payment early december prob 85% then remaining % in may 2024

Ah just nice to know what's going on. Would explain the cold shoulder from lads 😄

They are still waiting on payment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I wouldn’t be banking on getting paid of the back of it, maybe a token payment but theirs going to be serious cash-flow issues on alot of farms heading into the Winter/Spring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Don't you call around for a cheque. If you just send it out you'll be left until last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’m finding the opposite over the last few years. Email the invoices and a lot of it is transferred fairly quickly without even a phonecall.

I sent a good few out last Thursday to have them there before the payments come in. Sent them around 10pm that night, one man messaged me back 10 mins later to say he had it transferred, I checked the account around midnight and it was all there to the last cent.

Calling for cheques is a disaster because every lad wants to chat for a few hours before giving you the cheque and then wants to haggle over the price!

There might be but the contractor is in the same boat so it’s not fair to be leaving them until last.

A lot of the money owed is owed for near 6 months now. If a farmer has bitten off more than he can chew and can’t pay his bills now it’s not up to the contractor to fund it for them.

Messaged one of our contractors last week to see what the balance is of what i owe, came back to me last night. Had most of it paid

Shouldn't have to ho looking in fairness and last people want is a fella in annoying them for money when things might be tight.

If a fella leaves me short with no explanation then it's remembered. Most people will always pay what they can when they can and let you know that.

Can't understand why some people always believe the contractors should be the last to be paid.

Wasn't teagasc advising people to do that not to long ago. Till they git thier wings clipped by FCI

Understandable thst cash flow is tight but its not much better in the contractors yards. As DK said above I've work done in Feb that hasn't been paid for yet. Long time to be waiting on money.

If they turn around and claim now after the whole summer there's nothing left then maybe they need to look at the way they are operating the farm.

• Advertisement

But the likes of yourself are letting them away with it..you can't work for free. I assume you pay for fuel up front. These guys are using you for credit. Owing money since February is a total cop out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I'm not saying it's right but I know what some people are like. If it was me I'd be calling round as I always think the older a bill the harder it is to get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I deal with this young contractor at present. He was a bit financially illiterate at the start. He operated only with cheques and used to post out invoices

I was on to him about using direct bank transfers. With a bit of a push he got it sorted. Now he texts you a bill with the details slurry spreading X hours agitation, X loads of water X hours spreading. Then you transfer the money.

No wasting time having to meet or anything else. Most lads are on WhatsApp lads send the invoice via what's apps.

Every business should manage it's cash flow. Everybody had bills to pay. Dairy had the most profitable years ever in 2922 and into early this year. Where did all the money go. It's all about mentality. Profitable year expand expand expand.......then oops. Then oops.

Were you invoicing all along Reggie.

Slava Ukrainii

Totally discounting that a 40% increase in on-farm costs for 2023 compared to 2020 for argumentsake leaves a present day milk-price of 33 cent in the range of 23-25 cent for 2020....

A washout spring/late summer/washout autumn and a pile of fodder in most yards that's more clay then silage, your head is going to be spinning come the Spring with stories of unpaid bills on dairy farms and merchants/contractors still on the hook for a good % of lasts years work/meal etc

Totally agree, but the tales of dairy farmers been trotted out here still rolling in money and clearing a grand a cow year in year out aren't the reality on 90% of farms...

You know yourself from yards that have expanded rapidly in recent years maybe have a new tractor/loader/jeep in the yard their is a significant wedge of cash each month that's accounted for in loan repayments/hp, throw in a a mortgage on a new house that the junior partner might be on the hook for given the way the years turned out, the excess cash after the above isn't their to meet all outgoings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Use 2 contractors here ….an agreed payment plan in place with both …slurry and digger man gets bank transfer end February ,march and April with balance if any is due in august ….silage ,reseeding ,maize gets transfer end may ,June July ,august and he’ll call October/November with balance if any …..interestingly I’ve nearly always to call both to see what balance is owed in November.😀……can’t see why a contractor can’t leave an invoice every time they do work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Surely in this day and age, they can use an app, to log work as they go and it will fire out emailed invoices and monthly statements.

The biggest issue of some is pricing, having it firmed up before the season.

Should be 30 days and interest charged on overdue accounts.

I understand all of that but giving a token payment as you put it to the contractor at this stage of the year is a load of bulls**te to be honest Jay. The token payments should be given in May June and July when milk cheques are at their peak, not November when cows are being dried off.

A pit silage contractor could have double or triple the finance/hp payments in a year that a dairy man has. A lot of them would also be paying mortgages and rearing families from their business too so it’s not up to them to fund the poorly organised farmer that can’t get his business in order.

For 90% plus of farmers the 2 most important bills they have should be the contractor and the merchant. They’re the 2 people that can’t be done without on their farms.

The shiny metal in the parlour, the new jeep/tractor etc. can all be done without. They’re nice to haves but not necessary to keep the farm running. The man in the 20 year old milking parlour still gets the same price for his milk as the man with the brand new one. Same for tractors, jeeps etc. The finance payments on them should be the very bottom of the list for payment after the merchant and contractor. If the jeep gets repossessed it’s not going to affect your milk or beef price but if you can’t get a merchant to supply you or a contractor to cut your silage it will affect your farm and your bottom line.

The other way of looking at it is for the average beef man with say 60-80 cattle, his contractor bill for silage and slurry is only going to be €6-€8k max and less in a lot of cases. If he brings 3 or 4 of his stock to the mart instead of waiting until they’re finished out of the shed next spring he has the money for the contractor and can pay him now.

Same for a dairy man, sell a few in calf heifers, a few culls and one or 2 milkers if needs be and clear his contractor bill and then adjust his system so that he only has what he can afford from now on and not end up in that scenario again. It’s not hard to figure out but the mentality of never reducing numbers no matter what in case the neighbours will be talking about you is what restricts a lot of lads in what they can achieve and they think the merchant or contractor should carry that cost for them then.

• Advertisement

I’ve an app on the phone that can be logged onto online from any computer as well, costs around €120 per year and it’s the best €120 I spend every year.

Invoices are emailed from it and it also tells you when the invoice is opened so a lad can’t fob you off by saying he didn’t get the email!

Advertisement