Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westside - a decarbonisation zone

Options
2»

Comments

If only there was a way to access the information in the files without having to go into the office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

As long as its carbon neutral! Only allowed to go online on windy days, the days Westside air is probably cleanest. Win win for everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭berrecka

Haha, indeed!

I take it you've never worked for the HSE if you think that not relying on a printed file is an option. Though in fairness, it did come in handy during the hack that most people's records were kept on the back of an envelope!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

edit : error post

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

These healthcare workers also need to get PPE and supplies. You won't remove their office visits with electronic files.

I notice no one answered the question about bicycle security either.

• Advertisement

Nobody needing supplies is going to need replenishment on a daily basis

As for the security question 🙄

Just do what most corporates are doing in Dublin who have similar underground car parking - remove about 10-20 CAR PARKING spaces and install a secure (and dry) Bike Security facility so staff can lock up there bikes. So easy to do, so easy to retrofit. #MakeWestsideADecarbonisationZone 🙌

Beauty of course of this is that 10 -20 Car parking = 80-160 bike parking spots #MakeWestsideADecarbonisationZone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Wow that's amazing that your sibling has received that kind of care. From my experience that isn't at all typical. I have had two elderly neighbours have car accidents recently, one broke a pelvis, one broke his spine, and both were forced to attend physio in Merlin despite considerable difficulty with pain,lack of mobility and needing their children to take time off work to bring them. One eventually hired a private physio to come to his house due to the impossibility of attending in person. I have also had to physically attend for appointments while very ill and even missed appointments because I have been too ill too and no one has offered home appointments. The public health nurses are great of course and have always been around as a necessary service but they would not be considered primary care in this context. I'll find a list of what is intended to be in the new clinic though.

While that is wonderful that you've had an option of homecare, and it really is, I would love to see more people get that level of care, I can't see it becoming widespread considering cost and considering that they are creating a building with a large section dedicated to the service. Physio and OT are only 2 services though. Providing extra parking there does not mean that if there is a shift in Galway towards bike transport that people will come to avail of the parking spaces by car. It just means there are options for those who physically,absolutely have to attend by car that 127 spaces for a proposed 800 users of the site doesn't allow for. I'm sure as a person who has had illhealth you have experienced the extreme inconvenience the parking at UCGH is too. I wish the very best for you and your sibling btw - hope better health comes your way.

• Advertisement

That's great - when they are at their office-base (for the 1/2 hour of so that they're there).

But how do they secure the equipment and other-patients files when the bicycle is parked outside the house of someone they're treating? Sure they take the stuff they need for THIS patient inside - but what about the stuff needed for the next patients?

Someone expressed doubt about the move to more treatment in the community, and that it doesn't line up with their experience: Yes, there's been very little of this here previously. But it's changing. There now some "virtual hospital" pilots around the place. They include things like the Pathfinder 'Rapid Response Team' introduced here in May, which includes home-based OT and physio assessment and treatment after emergency calls. Yes, there is health-professional time wasted travelling between homes, but the positives include fewer hospital-acquired infections. One factor needed to introduce things like this is larger primary care centres, which enable staff to access "stuff" and transport it. Inadequate parking could easily cause some of these initiatives to fail.

Why are they building offices if nobody is going to be there? Does not add up.

Because they need a base to work from, store equipment and files, receive deliveries of supplies, have their team meetings and performance reviews. Somewhere for the clerical officer who makes their appointments to work from.

That's what I thought as well but you seem to imply in the thread that ALL staff will spend max 30 min per day at this location?

Sooooo anyway, air quality measurements in the city, some info from the EPA

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The dry calm evenings recently made for horrendous walking conditions through the smokey fuggy acrid soup. We need action like banning smokey coal or banning burning household rubbish or exhaust emission regulations or such

True, poor air quality these days in the City. Perhaps Galway City's target to reduce car trips in the Westside Decarbonisation Zone by 50% by 2030 is the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭berrecka

I just mentioned it in the "getting around Galway" thread, but I just spotted that Galway City Councils draft Climate Action Plan is open for consultation until 29th Dec. It has a whole chapter on the Decarbonization Zone and refers to lots of issues mentioned in this thread. Some folk on here might be interesting in making a submission for the Council to consider before finalising the plan

Wonder could ask for the Zone be expanded when making a Submission? Probably not at this stage - but it is a bit daft that Inishannagh Park and Gaelcarraig Park are not in the ZONE, yet NUIG and UHG.

Advertisement