Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a D reg on an import

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

I should have known this / thought of this last year when I imported my car. Except the other way around, I live in D and now have a 04-D-12.... reg, would rather have had something shorter. Maybe from W (still 4 digits I think even on an import).

"Just" would have needed somebody there to use their address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭goochy

too late now , 1st world problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Clay_Bill Clay

When swapping it over to the OPs name would it not then show up as having an extra owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Goose81

Not if a garage does it, it a regular person off the street does it then yes it's an extra owner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭littlevillage

You are completely over thinking this.... Do you really think anybody gives a flying fig what county your car was registered in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I know it's a bit of a trope, but if you want to check what your car will be worth 'down the road', D plates get better money. It's been that way as long as Methuselah.

A good while back now, but I remember a friend of mine trading in a 1999 Honda Accord for a new 320d, and on the value of the Accord, the salesman without going outside to check asked if it had a D plate or (local). The D got him an extra €1k.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

The USA do it, they do have the state on the plate, but each state have different letter/number requirements. On the plate then is a month (that the plate was first registered/will expire) and a sticker for the year that the reg expires, so the sticker changes annually (different colour for each year). That is essentially your car tax, no need for windscreen discs. So new car, plate goes with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Avon8

Any semi experienced car salesman will tell you that its much easier to sell a car with a D reg than a country one, and I say that as someone from the country. Dublin people in general are reluctant to buy certain types of cars with country reg's, as they assume the bag has been drove of them.

Ive imported my last 3 cars, all of the 'sporty' variety, and it was a lot easier sell on the second one with a D plate than it was the first with a country plate

Methuselah must be relatively young, because it used to be the opposite way around. D reg's (or SI I think) were looked down upon 30-40 years ago because they were just driven in cities for short journeys.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Same here. Sales guy always asks if it's a D reg when inquiring about trade-ins and I've a good few rural friends using Dublin addresses & registering their cars in the Capital.

Dublin reg's have always been preferable. Least preferable are DL, G, WX and CN reg's for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Otoh, if you're buying and don't give a monkey's (that'd be me), those are the counties I'd go shopping in.......add: LM, MO, KY, RN etc

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement