Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a D reg on an import

Options
  • 30-09-2023 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

So I'm from down the country and buying an English car off a dealer. I'd like to get a D reg over my home county.

Is it just simply give an address of a friend in Dublin, then when the log book comes out, contact revenue for a change of address back to my actual home address. Would I need official proof of residing at the Dublin address ie bank statement or bills etc to change the address back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Just give the address of someone you know on Dublin, and do a change of address down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

I just called into vrt office and the young helpful fella actually said it can't be done and he knows why I'm wanting to do it but only way is to register the car in my friends name as would need bank statements etc....but maybe he has to follow the party line? Id like to hear from someone whose actually done it. When you change address on log book do they look for proof. Garage said they used to register cars to their dublin address for the D reg but revenue got antsy and can do audits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Out of interest why would you bother?

Just easier to sell on....(well in the past). I like the anonymity of driving a D reg especially since I'm in Dublin lots. Having a home county reg feels abit like your wearing a home county Jersey in every county you drive through 🙈🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The VRT person is correct if a private person is VRTing the car, they will need to provide proof of address. However as you are buying from a dealer they deal with the VRT process with Revenue differently.

So if it's been registered by a dealer then ask them to put Dublin in your address instead of your home county when they go to register it online. It should then be issued a D reg by the system. Wait a day or two later and then log onto the motortax.ie website with the registration number and last 7 digits of the VIN as the PIN. You can then update the address to your proper one in there. Wait another few days for the motor tax system to update with the correct address before taxing the car and the log book issued. I have done this for the last two imported cars bought from dealers and it worked both times.

Just remember not to tax the car for the first time until the address is changed back on motortax.ie is done and verified by you again a few days later otherwise the tax disc and registration cert will be issued to the wrong address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭peter4918

Do you seriously think when you’re driving around Dublin and people see your reg they will think oh there’s Johnny from Roscommon or Kerry or wherever your home county is? Nonsense

There's no need to wait a few days. The day after it is registered, go in and tax it and update the address in the process. The tax disc and VLC will then issue to the correct address in due course. I did it only a month ago.

Oh, and the pin is the last 6 digits, not 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well it's 3 years since I did it last so maybe it's a bit more refined now but I did it as you described however the logbook ended up being issued to my address but with Co Dublin at the end despite me updating it online. Luckily An Post eventually routed to my correct address but it had Dublin on the logbook too. I requested another logbook which had the correct address the second time so go figure.

I did the same thing in 2016. You must be doing sumting wong. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 17 idiot4

let's say your address is 1 Main Street Thurles Co. Tipp E41 ---- (fictional)

Put your address down as this

1 Main Street

Thurles Tipperary

Co. Dublin

E41 ----.

Did it myself on a 191 NI import Passat, now on a D reg, should be a T reg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just change your address on a utility bill (phone bill etc) to your friends in Dublin. Use that as the proof of address in the vrt office.

Doesn't matter what county you vrt it in. The reg will be D. I'd no issue doing it a few months ago.

What your saying sounds right as that is what others have said. However revenue website says dealer has to provide revenue proof of owners address when they registering.. .but granted the dealer hasn't actually asked for this.....yet? My other thoughts is the garage just reluctant to start putting down say Tullamore, Co.Dublin as if they got a revenue audit, it might bring heat on them....which ironically is petty since revenue are getting paid all their vrt, and god knows what else in customs and vat etc

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/procedure-at-ncts-centre.aspx#:~:text=These%20must%20be%20a%20utility,in%20addition%20to%20your%20own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Did that too for new company bought car, companies address is one place but wanted reg from home county. Neither county is Dublin, just wanted it.

How did the dealer navigate that. If the dealer was a Dublin dealer, prob self registered. But I think if its a new car it's different to a used one

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jeremy Clarkson.

This shït is precisely why the year / county should be scraped from the plate.

Random letters / numbers which stay with the person and follow them from car to car is the most superior system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭User1998

Is there even a country anywhere in the world that does that?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

Switzerland, for one, although a 2 letter code for the canton is also included:

"The vehicle license number plates are assigned to the car owner and not to the vehicle. If the owner changes the vehicle, the same vehicle license number plates are attached to the new vehicle. The previous vehicle receives the vehicle license number plates of the new owner..."

Germany also, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I didn't know that the Co reg thing was still a thing until I changed my car about 2.5 years ago. The dealer asked me did I have a Dublin address which I did (Mon-Fri rental) but all my bills, statements etc were for down the country. He just asked me to text him the address- I didn't give him any proofs even though I had the broadband bill- and the reg came back as D but my logbook arrived down the country....

Was this a brand new car?

The UK and northern Irish number plate system which is unfathomable is literally the 1 thing they do right that we dont lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm Dublin born and bred, live there currently. Have an L reg at the moment and had a LH previously. Never gave it any consideration nor when I see any other reg in Dublin (bar mild curiosity for a foreign reg, or coming behind a TN reg knowing I'll be stuck at 20kmph below the speed limit for as long as they are in front)

I was referring to the part where they said random letters/numbers which stay with the person and follow them from car to car. The UK definitely do not do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Wasn't there a way to "reserve" a specific registration number at one point? You had to pay for the pleasure, of course, but I am not sure if this can still be availed of. Might be worth a look to see if it is still being done.

Personally, I have had Dublin, Kildare, Cork and Galway registered vehicles (I live in Dublin) and what is on the plate has never bothered me one bit. Not had any effect on a trade in either, that I am aware of.

You can still reserve plates on brand new cars

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

But only for the county you live in. Can get a special D reg put on a car if you live in Louth (or know one of the ways around it, as have been posted above).

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

I imported a car from the North in 2018. You could select whatever number you wanted, once it hadn't already been given out, for a price of €1,000.

EG If you had a 2007 Aston Martin, and the last car registered in your County was 07-D-12345, then you could pick any number higher than 12345, excluding any that had already been selected by people doing what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭goochy

in your county - op wants another county

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

Belgium has a system where the plate stays with the owner rather than with the car, without geographical coding (as opposed to Germany).

Regarding choosing a reg on an import: last year I was told several times (through MyAccount correspondence as well as at the desk in two different VRT centres) that this isn't possible, only for new cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It can be done, easily. Just got 2 plates for new imports this a.m., both on D, neither car in D. Both are imports.

Your garage can reg it to them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement