Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2024

Options
  • 30-09-2023 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Anymore starting tullamore January 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 user1233

I’m starting in ballinasloe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jasperbrco

I just have done interviews and am on panel now 120 is my spot and it's active.

Little confused anyone know any rough timeline or when I can expect a reply will be starting in the next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 st94DUBss

Hi Jasper, I done my interview in May it was a supplementary panel too, I placed 80th and I will be starting Jan 2024. You will be either Sept 2024 or Jan 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wonder 506

Hi everyone

Just wondering does anyone know what number the panel has called so far for January 2024 class? Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Amage

When given a panel number that’s specific to your panel as opposed to the overall panel. Eg if you place 30th on a panel and somebody else places 10th on a subsequent supplementary panel they don’t overtake you. If you replied to an expression of interest you can then ask your position on the live order of merit overall. They will only give this info out when the expression of interest period has closed. Estimate how many are gone off that with the Jan 24 classes filled and that will give you an idea of where you stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Wonder 506

Thanks Amage for getting back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Iceomatrix

Anyone know if the September class is going ahead with the recruitment embargo ongoing?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheBackRoads

Hi, I know I'm way late with this, but I didn't realise they were looking for paramedics. Could I ask where the openings for the application was? And also when do you think they'd open again?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭taratee

I emailed them about this in December and they couldn't give me a date. Have set up job alerts to keep an eye out for the opening. Last opening for new applicants appears to have been in the middle of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheBackRoads

Makes sense as I've only set my alerts in like October. I'll keep an eye out though and hopefully something will appear at some point this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Daisylou123

Hi All I am on the current panel and waiting for an EOI. In the meantime does anyone know what books they use on the course and do we buy them or they give them to us? Thinking if I have to buy them I might do that now and start familiarising myself with the course. Any info greatly appreciated 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

Familiarise yourself with the PHECC paramedic CPG's and rote learn the paramedic medication formulary. This will give you a good head start.

Learn some basic anatomy, the heart, lungs, ribs, spine, other bones of the body.

Ambulance care practice (UK book), and Ross and Wilson Anatomy and physiology in health and illness are the main two books used. They are supplied to you free. I wouldn't bother reading them yet as they're mainly used as study aids/support literature. The vast majority of NASC lectures are done by their own slides and handouts.

Thanks so much that's really helpful. I will have a look and start familiarising myself. I find the CPG flow charts very hard to follow in terms of learning. Any tips to help them sink in?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

Don't worry too much about the CPG flowcharts yet tbh, as without some foundational knowledge they will seem confusing but it's good to familiarise yourself with them at least. There's probably a lot of acronyms you don't understand I presume?

Every patient encounter starts with a primary survey, followed by a secondary survey then treating the relevant condition per CPG.

Take an easy one like Significant Nausea & Vomiting - Adult, on page 39. That's an easy one and it's one of the most common things you'll deal with.

Clinical practice guidelines are as the name suggests "guidelines". They're how you will generally approach situations but they're not gospel.

Again I would learn those medication formulary as best as you can. I used to write them out over and over until I could do it from memory. Some of the meds will be tough to memorise especially with paediatric dose calculations. It's not going to be possible to memorise everything but try your best. This alone will give you a good head start.

edit: Download the PHECC field guide app on your phone. This is a great resource and is easier to understand.

Thanks so much that is really helpful! I will definitely start having a look over everything. Looking forward to getting started. Hopefully I will get a place in September!!

Starting my C License lessons this week which should be interesting 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kitkat73

Hi Daisylou123, hope the C1 lessons are going well. I am wondering if you have heard anything about expressions of interest going out yet? I was placed on the panel late October but haven't heard anymore since. Was hoping to start in September but someone recently told me the HSE recruitment freeze means the panel is also frozen? Anyone know if this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 medmark

Hi KitKat73,

I am in the same boat as you. I messaged the NAS and was just given a generic response. I did hear the the hiring freeze is delaying everything but I don’t know if that is the case or when that might be resolved. Fingers crossed for some news soon.

Hi Medmark. Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed things start moving again soon. After all the effort everyone on the panel went through to get there it's such a shame that it has now come to a grinding halt. I find (for me anyway) it's the not knowing ANYTHING that's the hardest part of the wait. It's a great test of patience that's for sure 😄

Hi @Kitkat73 I haven't heard anything since going on panel in October. I too was planning a start for September. I heard there was a freeze and feeling quite deflated as I am really looking forwards to getting started. It's a pity we haven't more clarity on start dates etc....very difficult to organise future plans with this so drawn out and unknown. We will just have to have patience!!

Hi Daisylou123, it will be all the more exciting once we get started having had it drawn out for longer then we anticipated. At least it provides us with the opportunity to look over some of the learning material well in advance while practicing extreme patience 🙂

• Advertisement

Thanks @Kitkat73 I like your positive thinking! I generally find everything flows the way it should and yes we will start when it's meant to be!! Exciting times ahead. Where are you hoping to train? I would like Tullamore.

The same as yourself Daisylou123…hoping for Tullamore but would take Tallaght either if push came to shove as much the same distance for me but Tullamore would be my preference 🤞

Hopefully we will both get Tullamore. Can't wait to start so let's hope it is September. Please god 🙏 😊

Just heard today they are opening up the portal for applications to their next student paramedic recruitment drive later this month. This might hopefully mean they'll start to move forward with the current panel soon? Its certainly positive news anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cat84i

Anyone have any word on expressions of interest? I heard 27th April the will put out recruitment but nothing on expression of interests from panels already ongoing.

Hi Cat84i, haven't heard anything yet. Waiting on the panel from October, still hoping for this September but the more time goes on the less likely that's looking, but you never know what might happen when they start the next round of applications 🤞 When were you placed on a panel yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 HannahSpanner

I went on the panel in October too, so unsure of how to plan life at the moment 😂, or when EOI might come out…….im presuming it will be January start at this stage if there are still people left on the previous panel?

For sure it's certainly difficult deciding what plans to make at the moment Hannah Spanner 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Scurvy

Yes, I'm from the previous panel. I joined #44 in July 2022 but couldn't go active until mid 23 because of life circumstances.

I contacted them today just to make sure I am on an active panel. Hopefully hear back soon.

Edit: NRS12726 is still active and I am #28 on the overall student paramedic panel. Hopefully I'll hear soon

Post edited by Scurvy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 bJWXNIXWNXOW

Hello all, I'm looking for advice as alot of you all here have passed the appitude tests. I'm wondering do you have any links etc..stories of how you studied i find these tricky at times. to the type of aptitude tests I know there are a couple examples in the hse document but I'm looking for more so I can practice

Advertisement