Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topsters lists

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah I had thought about virtua tennis also, and the original pro evolution soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Like others have said it's definitely not the best games I've played but they are more of a place and time kind of game for various reasons from 4 of us huddled around an old CRT playing Halo CE in college to flying around the world in flight sim during COVID. Great memories associated to all these games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭McFly85

Lot of fun making this. Tried to cover my old systems and to only use one game per franchise(couldn’t leave out RE2 or REmake though!)

And considering there was talk of virtua tennis which I love, I had to include the actual best tennis game ever, which is annoyingly not backwards compatible with the Series X.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I like flashback but for me I think Another World is the game I'd pick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Great shout on Flashback and Syndicate. GoldenEye - one of the best multiplayer split screen games of the time (on console anyway). Shooting the crap out of the armour vest so others couldn’t pick it up. 😂

• Advertisement

I love the atmosphere of another world but it is incredibly short. I remember breezing through it in under an hour.

Think Flashback improved the gameplay and was just the right length to not overstay its welcome, and I personally preferred the cyberpunk setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Another world was incredible. Start game.... dead... What?! Oh i can swim.. oh a little slug... dead what!? Oh a beast that can run 5 times faster than me and one shot me like the slug???? Such a dark souls vibe to it, loved it. Then Flashback was a bit more user friendly and really polished, incredible game start to finish, looking forward to the the sequel due out soon.

I remember being completely hyped that Flashback was getting a sequel on the PlayStation, and then we got that abomination that was Fade to Black.

Thank god for demo discs, I would have definitely been out of pocket otherwise!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think they are different games really. Flashblack is way more structured but I just love the interactive movie feel of another world. It's a bit more trial and error though where flashback is has more robust mechanics.

I loved fade to black and it reviewed extremely well on PC. The issue with the ps1 release was that fade to black was a real trendsetter in early 3D games but by the time it came to ps1 3D had come along so much.

It's a shame it gets so much vitriol because of that ps1 conversion (which was actually a more a remaster of the PC game and looks way better) because the original release on PC was way ahead of its time even if it's very hard to go back to these days. It's a really important game that to me is the missing link between the likes of alone in the dark and tomb raider.

Well I only played the demo, but it felt almost opposite to the original in some ways. The rotoscoped animation gave a very distinct, precise platform style whereas I found the sequel clunky and awkward. I don’t know what the rest of the game was like but it was grey room after grey room, and I loved the background designs of the levels in the original.

Just looking the game up now and the second attempt at a sequel is actually out next month! Back to 2d platforming but looks pretty generic.

• Advertisement

A lot of 3D games in the 90s suffered from that transition phase where they were still figuring it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The Vita was great for dropping the veil of nostalgia for me. I bought a few PS1 classics and they were absolutely horrendous to look at and play. Silent Hill was the only one that I enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

International Superstar Soccer 98 what a game. I didn’t own an N64 but I quickly became best friends with someone who did for these classics

Plenty of them still hold up. Big problem with PS1 games is they were made to run on a CRT. I play my ps1 games on an emulator with a great crt filter and they look great. The ps1 has a native dithering effect which looks awful with raw pixels but on a CRT it gives the illusion of far greater colour depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just found out these were a thing over on A&R, so here's mine. Stuck to one per franchise cause it's my list/my rules suckas and also it'd completely change this time tomorrow and already have omitted several biggies just perusing this thread alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Jaysus.......could spin this another half a dozen times and swap out half of them with other faves. Guess this snapshot is of games I have great memories, sunk so much time into or frankly go back to play them regularly enough

Advertisement