Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topsters lists

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Respect for including Wind Waker! Man this is very difficult to only include 25 games.

Ok actually now you mention it, I'm more shocked you excluded Metal Slug - sure you are Mr. Metal Slug I thought! And no Blazing Star either? Outrageous. 😂

Hmmm, looking at some of the games on my list so far - folks won't have a fecking clue what they are! 🙈

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Blazing Star is R-Type but not as good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah I do love SotC, but Ico was a revelatory experience for me so I’ll always have a stronger connection to it.

That said, my hottest Team Ico take didn’t make the list:

1. Ico
    2. The Last Guardian
    3. SotC

😎

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Last Guardian needs to have a framerate that wouldn't embarass Starfox before I'd even consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It does run at 60 FPS on PS5 so long as you install off disk and don't install any upgrades. But there are points where you need to install an upgrade to progress and then uninstall and reinstall to get back to 60 FPS. Not a great user experience 😁Needless to say, Sony are just weird not putting out a 60 FPS version.

• Advertisement

So this is the list I eventually settled on, most of them were easy picks. Games I've had the most fun playing, that I can remember anyway. Just some random thoughts:

• SMB3 - best 2D platformer ever, best box art ever.
    • Ocarina of Time is the best Zelda of them all (Link to the Past and Wind Waker close runner ups).
    • Tetris is the Gameboy version, if you could only have one game for your GB, it would have to be that one.
    • Aliens is the arcade version by Konami (SNES Alien 3 was great too).
    • World of Warcraft in the early days was great fun with mates, it turned shite after The Lich King.
    • SWOS is still the best football game ever made (early PES a close second).
    • Samurai Warrior is the best game to feature a rabbit that is also a samurai 😁 (Second Samurai on the Amiga almost made the list too).
    • Turrican 2 - even better than the first and it has shmup sections in it which was a shock at the time! Stunning music.
    • Yep I know most Souls fans prefer the first Dark Souls, but 3 is the better game. And Demon's Souls on the PS3 was the game that felt truly different to everything else at the time (thanks retr0 for mentioning it all those years ago), so DS1 misses out on the list.

While making the list I was reminded that game music from 8 and 16bit eras was so much better, from the Amiga in particular. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Super Mario Bros 3 NES version has a flicker at the side when the screen scrolls. I only ever played the SNES Super Mario All Stars version. And only noticed that recently when playing the emulator NES version on Switch. Though it was an emulator bug, but no. I never saw something on console games before. Kinda off putting.

And yes, the box art is timeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Actually a lot of fun making this list and made me think of extremely happy gaming memories ranging from all years of my life. Reminds me how much I love being a gamer.

That's something that NES games do on real hardware, it's a hardware big with scrolling. On a CRT screen that would have been hidden behind the bezel as 'overscan' but on a modern display or emulator you can see it. Some emulators can turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Microprose Formula One Grand Prix, a great game. Green Jordan 191's in it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,608 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I always forget about Westwood Bladerunner, what a game. I remember being really impressed by the branching paths when it first came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Alright, I'll give this a go. Don't be too cruel...

On another day, half the list could be different. Some serious struggles to cut down to twenty-five.

Surprised it took so long for Deus Ex to appear on a list. Found it very hard to leave off mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

I think (like most), if I made this list tomorrow it would be different.

I tried to limit one per series or developer (though still managed two Bioware RPGs) - so Skyrim means no Fallout 3 / New Vegas / Morrowind. Civilization is a cheat as it represents all the Civs (if I had to choose one, then 5. Or 4.)

And Starfield and BG3 are still too new (and unfinished) to be added.

Deathloop wouldn't get anywhere near my list. I was so disappointed by it. Dishonored I enjoyed way more and there's way better time loop games like outer wilds, forgotten city or Majora's mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭recyclops

I am still stuggling away on my list but astounded that Silent Hill 2 is on nobodies list here

It's on Retro's, very first post. I went back and forth a lot with that one, just missed out on my list. Incredible ending that has stuck with me to this day.

Imagine putting Days Gone on your list and forgetting Silent Hill 2 😎

Can't even imagine that as i didn't put days gone on my list 🥸

Jesus how did I miss that, but yeah people discuss how good the stories are in modern games but very very few have come close to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My list is already different.

I'd remove Spider-Man 2 and NFS: Underground, and add in Baldur's Gate 3 (which I can do now that I've finished it) and Hades.

Possibly trade Sonic 3 for Outer Wilds too....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I totally forgot about Soma when making my list. That was a brilliant game imo.

I considered it but I think silent hill 2 covered horror. Close though.

Eventually got round to this, I think I landed on a list of games that I fondly remember or games that I played the death out of multiplayer ( probably why so few new multiplayer games on the list) I don't regard this list as the best games ever and the order is completely random but one thing I will say is silent hill 2 has the best story in any video game out there.

Also Shadow of Memories is purely for nostalgia, anyone who played it when it first got released will understand I cant imagine how poor it plays now but my poor little teenage brain wasn't ready for the time travel. when you think of it Konami peaked with the PS2

I had The Last Ninja 2 and Speedball 2 on an early version of my list but had to bump them, can’t remember for what now. Great games though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Here's mine, but I'm still not happy about it. I need a 10 x 10 grid

Large time to cover there.

Virtua Tennis might be a surprise to some, but I wanted to include a sports game and I thought that was a very well designed one. A joystick and two buttons, and yet it somehow had depth. Simple to pick up, difficult to master.

Nah, virtual tennis really is an incredible game.

• Advertisement

I play virtual tennis an awful lot on my steam deck. Super game still struggle on the grass courts.

Advertisement