Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein bar suggestions

Options
  • 26-09-2023 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭

HI,

Physio / Dr. told me to try and increase protein for my teenager son.

Thinking protein bars - but they are expensive. Any tips, appreciated?

Note: will be doing diet as well but consider using these as top up.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If doctor said to increase protein content of his diet, then you need to look at improving the overall content of his diet. Protein bars have a minor side benefit, but they are for the most part, basically sweets/junk with some added protein.

I know you said you'd be doing diet we well. But the fact you're asking this question, and the fact that there's an issue with your existing diet, suggests that maybe you need help with the diet overall. What does your son eat on a typical day, include everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mosorchat

You can incorporate protein-rich whole foods into your child's meals and snacks. Some great sources of protein include lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish), eggs, dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese), legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas), beans subs, tempeh and quinoa. These foods can be more cost-effective than protein bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Not going to go for protein bars to be honest. Thanks for you advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

These protein bars are always worth a mention. 425 Thanks can't be wrong!

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055992322/tired-of-paying-29-99-for-12-protein-bars-try-this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

What about things like pumpkin seed, linseed on the porridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Look you need to google what's high in complete protein. An adolescent needs meat/fish and diary for complete proteins. Which meat and which diary according to what he'll actually eat. Hopefully he's not a fussy eater. Plant based ingredients typically don't have complete proteins but you'd want to eat veg anyway so include those as well. Lentils, cauliflower, off the top of my head for example. Nuts are high in protein also. Seeds less so. Actually I dunno about seeds but again google it.

Advertisement