Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla: Minus One

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Saw this today, it’s right good. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Budget was 15 million, that correct? Some serious money fiddling going on in other Hollywood blockbusters if thats the case.

Astonishing looking for that budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is now getting a cinema run in Black & White

Godzilla Minus One/Minus Color will be in U.S. theaters starting Friday, Jan. 26. Both versions of the film will end their theatrical run on Feb. 1.

$51m US box office and over $100m worldwide box office safe to say it's been a monster hit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

95 million global too; shame it didn't quite make the 100 million mark for that extra bit of spice. Bit sceptical about this b&w idea though cos it's not like you just desaturate the image and it'll look as good - shooting in black and white is an art unto itself.

Found this the other day and had meant to share: the FX department required 500 terabytes of data just to process the CGI water used in the film. Woof; that's nuts. Though it was something I thought internally at the time as watching - that yeah, the water looked great considering how much of the film took place at sea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As good as it was, I'll be passing on a second viewing. It was one of those special experiences for me that I'd rather not risk tainting. Still annoyed that I deliberately passed on seeing Shin Godzilla in 2016.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Not really sure I see the point in that. It wasn't exactly in screaming Technicolour to begin with...

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭winstonia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Creator also nominated: both films' combined budgets didn't even hit 100 million; not even half of another nominee, Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭winstonia

Creator deserves it. Be sick if galaxy gets it.

Oh cool, it broke the 100 million barrier, and seemed to get a small bump from the Oscar nom; it's now the third most successful foreign language film at the American box office at 55 million ... which is kinda weird and somewhat depressing when you think about it, even if it's also kinda cool.

• Advertisement

If like me, you had been wondering how on earth $15 million was made look as good as it did, here's a great wee Behind the Scenes video: so the CGI was made by just 35 people over 8 months; while an extremely efficient and clever use of multi-purpose sets saved money on physical locations. They even used the classic "make the actors sway about" in lieu of hydraulics for the scenes on boats. Fantastic stuff, and you gotta doff your hat to these guys.

This won an Oscar for best Visual Effects last night; larger issues of FX working conditions notwithstanding this is a great victory for that small studio. any other winner (bar The Creator) would have been insane; a blockbuster movie made for less than The Rock's paycheque

Interesting: contractually, this can't get a re-release in light of its Oscar win ... cos apparently the small print says Toho and Legendary Entertainment can't release Godzilla movies in the same calendar year as each other. Boo. Still no word on a digital release, though Japan is getting a physical media release on 5th May.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

You'd think they'd want to move up the digital release to take advantage of the oscar buzz given the theatre limitations. Don't get to the cinema myself anymore, so relying solely on digital, and I've been itching to see this. May would be a long wait...

Wouldn't be surprised if digital releases are also part of the Toho/Legendary arrangement. The new American Godzilla flick is out at the end of the month so maybe it'll come out after that gets its run. One things for sure: that May physical release will yield a "digital release" of sorts one way or the other, if you take my meaning.

But yeah, a second cinema release would have been gravy for Toho, but I doubt they ever thought one of their flicks would end up making bank Stateside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The film also swept up at the Japan Academy Film Prize awards (basically their BAFTAs). Interestingly, Sakura Ando won for Best Supporting Actress but also won for Best Actress for her work in Monster (she's incredible in that).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/47th_Japan_Academy_Film_Prize

Second Godzilla film in a row to win the 'best film' award in those awards, after Shin... And the competition - including Perfect Days and Monster, though not Evil Does Not Exist for some reason - was pretty strong this year.

Advertisement