Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla: Minus One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I have never seen an IMAX movie before but I might have the opportunity over Christmas to to an IMAX cinema.

GODZILLA MINUS ONE is showing but I can’t find anything to confirm it was shot for IMAX.

Would a film like this still be and “IMAX experience” or should I look a different film?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

WONKA and AQUAMAN 2 are the other movie that will be showing.

There is a couple of short documentaries too. I should look them up to see if thymes were filmed with IMAX cameras.

just thinking of this as I type, for film like GODZILLA MINUS ONE would the subtitles be easy to follow like on the regular screen? They are larger of course but do subtitles distract from the action or the action distract from the subtitles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd no issues with the subtitles.

Aquaman I think was filmed in IMAX. I think Godzilla would be more impressive. I forgot to check the BFI.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Thanks.

Where did you see GODZILLA in IMAX ?

BFI is where I would be going.

• Advertisement

I didn't check the BFI website as I live 10 minutes from Cineworld so I saw it there in normal 2D.

H. H. Asquith

what I was asking about the subtitles was in regard to the IMAX version of movies, not about subtitles on regular cinema screens?

you must have I hadn’t seen a subtitled movie before :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man this leaned hard into the realm of Survivor's Guilt didn't it; a far more personal and introspective story than you'd ever expect to find with a Godzilla movie but the emotionality was quite raw and bordering on hopeless. The monster this time a manifestation of all that guilt and the sense of lingering trauma that even after a country lies beaten and ruined, more can be taken; what little stood standing soon demolished by the monster, the living suddenly thinking they're just ghosts.

It was definitely played a lot straighter and much darker than Shin Godzilla's openly satirical approach to a Kaiju attack; but interestingly both films shared a similar theme where the cooperation of ordinary people will save the day - not the government (and certainly not the USA). It was a little odd there were no governmental characters to at least act as foils to the plucky invention of the civilians, but still. Intriguing both films had a thematic link.

And who'd have thought of all the inspirations the actual monster might take, it would be Jaws? Now that made for a pleasant suprise given in some respects the story painted itself into a corner, what with its ruined post war Japan; weaponless and without proper governance or morale. I'd say anyone looking for straight up carnage might be disappointed 'cos bar one urban intervention most of the set pieces happened at sea. And on that, the water FX were phenomenal; an occasional shot of Godzilla looked a little ropey but by and large the CGI really held up overall.

Not sure I'd prefer this to Shin of the modern Godzilla flicks, but this was definitely the better, more emotional story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

Does anyone know if the version on show in omniplex is subtitled or dubbed, I only wanna see the sub version but wanna see it in cinema.

Post edited by recyclops on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One time Godzilla performer Kenpachiro Satsuma has passed, aged 79. He played Godzilla and a bunch of other monsters back in the day. Wonder what, if anything, he has made of the latter-day films

Can't say for OmniPlex, but Vue showed the subtitled version. Whatever about animation allowing some leeway I don't think dubbed live action movies is as prevalent anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

loved every minute of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

the best film I have seen all year, tempted to go again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Why to omniplex in Mahon Point and it was subbed.

Great movie.

Sequel on the way? The director certainly seems enthused by the idea...

$36 million (slowing down now) US domestic on a relatively limited release is quite the Success Story: does show between this and Boy And The Heron there's an appetite beyond the usual crap Hollywood serves. It probably helped this part of the year had a relatively barren schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I see Japan are getting a B&W theatrical release in the new year. Hopefully that makes it as a bonus feature on physical releases over here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Live action films are rarely if ever dubbed for theatrical releases here. AFAIK an English language dub hasn't even been produced for this yet. The only live-action films that tend to be in multiple language releases are Bollywood ones, which are produced in multiple languages to begin with.

Not a big fan of the black & white re-releases of hit films. It was a novelty for one or two films, but don't really get the point of it in cases like this. Proper black & white photography is a lot more nuanced than simply zapping a film of colour for 'retro filter', so not sure what's gained unless it was something actively considered and shot for during production. That trailer doesn't suggest there'll be any benefit to seeing this b&w - stick with Godzilla (1954) for the real b&w kaiju action!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

LOVE the tagline: Godzilla: Minus 1. Minus Colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this during the week and I thought the last 1/4 of the movie was absolutely superb. Being honest though I found the other 3/4 to be somewhat dull. Im not sure what it was exactly, it was a pacing issue and some of the scenes just fell flat. Aswell it had a tendency to be overly dramatic, there was scenes with actors screaming at each other over pretty much nothing at all. Maybe this is a cultural thing and this is how japanese cinema is, but for me it was a bit over ripe at times. But like I said the last part of the film was great and I think its worth the price of admission for this alone, although I think people are falling over themselves praising this when its not the amazing film its being made out to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think Fury Road is an interesting experiment, and one Miller was genuinely invested in. I don’t think it’s better than the original (though I reckon the day for night scenes look better in monochrome) but it’s a worthwhile curiosity.

Anything that has followed seems pretty redundant to me, and at worst an attempt at faux prestige.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

well maybe people are comparing it to the US output, that Vs trailer or Aquaman 2

Post edited by expectationlost on

I think people are falling over themselves praising this when its not the amazing film its being made out to be.

Sigh. Why can't people just like the things you don't like, or not like the things you do? Why does it have to be a mania, or hype, or whatever? I bristle at this point in the hype cycle, when it starts overtaking onlooker's expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, Fury Road was practically monochromatic for a lot of it anyway so the B&W aesthetic worked for thst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

You're right, but I suspect my response to the movie would've been the exact same had I heard nothing about it beforehand. Overall I think its an ok movie, no more no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I enjoyed this film a lot. The final stages as somebody said above are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Saw today in Liffey valley. Small but extremely well behaved crowd. I am guessing the masses were at wonka and aquaman 2.

Absolutely excellent, terrific special effects and set pieces (how did they do them with the supposed budget I have no idea) but the surprise was the plotting and the human characters, I actually cared about them. One of my favourite cinema experiences this year.

Post edited by gmisk on

There was a small crowd at mine, yet all made an audible gasp at a certain moment; always shows how well a film's story can get under the skin when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Couldn't make it to the cinema so had to watch it elsewhere.

I was able to FF through the talker family bits so just focus on the creature itself.

Thought it was really good,8/10

Someone should tell Hollywood this little pro-tip; no sequel or new live action Godzilla will be seen for a while, which is a refreshing bit of common sense.

"I don't feel the need to rush the next live-action film. Good films are all about quality. We want great ideas, an excellent script, a talented director, and the right cast to work on it carefully," the producer explained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭winstonia

Advertisement