Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2023/24

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That was an officials issue. If you wanted to go the ‘cheating’ route - would you describe Glenn’s second black as ‘cheating’ preventing a sure score. Swings and roundabouts IMO.

What is notable to me is Glass got injured last year, Glenn folded. This year he stayed on and won it for Glenn. Glass the difference.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I didn't hear today's speech but I have heard him giving a few of those before.

Seems a bitter man.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

an absolute dose of a man, he is so robotic I'm beginning to think is this an actual AI version of Larry McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

It much be the 2002 Derry minors who were the last South Derry footballers on the Hogan Stand.

Derry clubs have history of disappearing after 1 All Ireland though. Bellaghy and Lavey. Ballinderry were good for a while after but are barely a Senior tier team now.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭hurlaway

True but what's on the scoreboard is not down to st. Thomas outscoring olg but the incompetence of the umpires

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Awful dive from olg man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Incredible match between Glen and St Brigids, I wish more teams would go out and play positive football like both the teams did today.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭C4000

Clear red card. Catches him in the head with the elbow, you can see his head snapping sideways in the replay. Regan knew himself straight away that he was off, his immediate reaction was to hold his two hands up apologising.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm still not sure he makes any real contact.

There were at least 3 maybe reds, maybe diving it the game today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

that goal was well balanced out by a harsh red to balance the books … OLG 2 points up and an extra man for over 30 mins . Nobody to blame but themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 20,538 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

RTE were using a sort of VAR replays in their live updates:

"13:38 9 mins

Big goal chance for O'Loughlin Gaels as Hogan plays a ball in for O'Shea, whose shot is blocked. It falls nicely for Wall whose shot is saved by Fintan Burke, but he is clearly carried over the line in saving the shot, and holding it. Replays clearly show it was a goal, or at least that it should have been - VAR anyone?!"

And in their after match report:

"Yet O'Loughlin Gaels would appear to have plenty to complain about as a goal which they appeared to score, when Owen Wall had a shot apparently cleared from behind the goal-line by St Thomas' full-back Fintan Burke, wasn't given. It was hard to be conclusive on it but TV replays appeared to show the ball being carried over the line in the eighth minute before Burke recovered and punted it away."

I suspect that many of the people condemning the officials were also using video replays. The umpires did not have that technology. Nor did the referee have a rule in his book called "maybe reds", or something called "real contact". 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

15 against 14 for second half and olg still couldn’t win…sore losers

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Post edited by Mr.Crinklewood on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Although it was the incorrect decision, I can totally understand why the goal wasn't given.

It was maybe a couple of inches over the line. Impossible for the referee to call with any certainty from his vantage point, also the umpire's view was blocked by Burke's back/head.

You cannot award a goal if you didn't see a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The umpire who was on White flag Duty on the Hill end for the Hurling - his flag waving was impeccable. I'd say hours of practice went into it. He even stepped out onto the pitch while he was waving points. Great performance with the flag.

If this man can improve his positioning for goals he will have a big future in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Probably the most dangerous foul in the game was the frontal charge on Conor Cooney, which only got yellow. (maybe because it was so early in the game?)

The headbutt should of course have been a red - but it wasn't especially hard or dangerous.

Regan's red seemed a little harsh especially after what went before. He did make contact with the head he can't complain too much, but also there was an element of the OLG player turning back into him.

The refereeing seemed a bit inconsistent and they got some things wrong, but then again it was a very hard game to referee. Generally Stack is one of the best. I don't think anyone else would have done much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Oh Stack was shocking yesterday. A decent ref usually. Bit the best of them don't miss that many red card infractions. Also Burke shouldn't have been on the field to score that wonder point.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭1373

Referees make mistakes, players make mistakes. Thought Stack did OK. Difficult enough game to ref with running and hitting. As for the sending off , it's very clear from behind that the player gets a headshot as the head wobbles. A bang to the head drops most players as a moment of shock hits them . If you want 100% perfect refereeing, watch snooker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The red card was the correct decision. The player went in with the intention of laying one on the OLG plate, the fact that he didn't connect cleanly with him does not excuse his high and dangerous tackle. Where Stack messed up was in not sending off the OLG player in the first half.

For the goal, it was poorly officiated by the umpires. Normally, one umpire will stay in line with the goalpost to look out for that sore orld thing, I normally find it worked best of the guy on the near post stays in that position and the one at the back post drops back and watches for the points. Both umpires were dropped behind the goal, which makes no sense in Croke Park as Hawkeye is there to check if they miss a point. Just poor positioning.

That said, even if one or other Umpire was looking along the line, there is no guarantee they would be able to see whether it crossed the line, it's a small ball and there were a lot of moving parts. From seeing poorly officiated video refs being introduced in the EPL, I have zero desire to see it implemented in the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ULEZ23

Advertisement