Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum Village closing 26/09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well for starters, a centre like Dundrum should have been required to facilitate a proper bus station, with bus stands and passenger waiting facilities like the new ones being built at Liffey Valley, Blanchardstown, and Tallaght.

A much wider and more frequent network of orbital and local routes should have been a pre-requisite. The centre was designed with car users in mind, not public transport. There’s no bus shelters at any stop aside around the Town Centre from the northbound stop on Sandyford Road and at Dundrum Church. Frequencies and reliability on the orbital routes 75 and 175 aren’t anywhere near sufficient - 30 or 60 minute frequency is nowhere near enough. Their reliability for significant periods of time has been dreadful.

BusConnects does address some of that with better frequencies and coverage.

However, for anyone travelling to/from Dundrum Town Centre from points west of Rathfarnham or Ballyboden, it will be a downgrade as neither of the replacements for the 75 or 175 will directly serve the stops adjacent to the Town Centre.

Those passengers currently using the 175 to get to Dundrum (a route that is often full to/from the west at Dundrum) will now have to change to a 74 on Grange Road from the S8 or walk across to the 14 at Broadford Road (until the A2 launches) to get there. The S8 will not serve Dundrum at all.

The S6 which replaces the 75 west of Rathfarnham will serve stops at Taney Road and will not serve the stops on Ballinteer Road by the Town Centre. People will have to walk from Taney Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Sounds like a great way to encourage more car drivers to Dundrum from Rathfarnham etc.

It's points west of Rathfarnham or Ballyboden that are the issue.

The 75 / S6 passengers will probably cope, but the 175 passengers to/from Dundrum are being shafted by this.

The 74 will link Rathfarnham with Dundrum Town Centre, as will the A2 and A4 in due course.

Thanks.

The roundabout change seems Interesting. I still dont see how it will prioritise the bus when there will likley be buses approaching the roundabout from multiple directions and those buses will be sharing their lanes with mostly cars.

The only buses that will be using the roundabout when these changes come in will be the L25 (4 per hour), L33 (infrequent), 74 (2 per hour), and the 87 & 88 (both hourly) southbound from the Dundrum bypass and the 74 eastbound from Wyckham Way (2 per hour).

• Advertisement

Thanks. So Dundrum itself wont really see that many buses anyway, at least south of the village.

Well remember that the A2 and A4 will operate along the current 14 routing through Dundrum from the roundabout on Ballinteer Road at Barton Road at a combined frequency of every 6 minutes.

The other routes in my previous post will use Sandyford Road and the Main Street when heading north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Who will be operating these new routes?

Dublin Bus and GoAhead - remember the entire network is changing and the new routes will replace the current network.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lookit, it's far from perfect, but I'd guess that the current Luas/bus stops are probably closer to DTC than the bus station at LV is to the LV shops!

There's certainly lots of room for improvement, but there ARE very decent public transport connections at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I can't seem to find this but did the council actually vote on this by now? I can only find articles relating to the protests.

I've lived in the general area for a few years and I think it's great how you are so close to services/shops etc. If any place can do this 10 minute city idea, it's here. I was previously living in a more rural location and it was brutal having to rely on the car for everything.

But, but read the Facebook comments, it's all part of the WEF controlled takeover of Dundrum, to give all the apartments to the bloody immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Don't know anything about this and don't care.

Just wondering why it's ok to make fun of people because of their ethnicity or socio economic background?

I thought that wasn't accepted on boards.

Is there anything factually incorrect in anything that I've said?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭jhansynk10

I live in the area, I'll tell you exactly what happened here. One of the residents houses is at the corner of the bypass and across from the Dundrum library where they plan to put the new bus corridor. His house is also going to be in the shadow of the new block in the old tc once it's built. He's gone and organised a number of local business people in the village who will be impacted by the reduction of traffic through the town to mobilise the older community members against the plan. It's me feinism to the nth degree with no consideration for other residents.

The fact that you have made defamatory statements earlier, that by deduction, anyone can work out who you are referring to.

What statements from me were incorrect?

BTW, accusing me of making defamatory statements is defamatory in itself. Tread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Yeah, but all the objections are "we need our cars/our businesses will die without cars" etc. The advantages of the 10 minute city concept to me is actually having less cars and all the negatives that come along with them.

• Advertisement

The major impact on the business people in the village is that they won't be able to park their own personal vehicles in the village for ever. That's what's behind the protests.

I think more people are unhappy about the high rise element, rather than the car access.

The main street is already one way any way.

My understanding is the organised groups are more concerned about high rise apartments replacing the old shopping centre and losing the retail amenities that are there already.

People can park in DTC, one of the largest managed car parks in the country!

The changes only deter drivers from going through the village, but the village is one way anyway.

If you need to park to goto the village, just park in DTC.

I can understand that some of the smaller businesses in the village may feel they will lose customers, but have they not been lost already with the one way system? There arent really any further car restrictions coming, if you want to drive through the village.

Other than Barton Rd acess?

I assume the parking bays outside Donnybrook Fair are going?

Outside DF are loading bays only .. do you know what that means?

People do not want to park in DTC and have to pay 330c per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xaforb

LXFlyer has already posted an excellent reply pointing out the poorly thought-out bus options from the beginning at DTC.

If the DTC designers had looked at, say, the Trafford Centre in Manchester, they would have seen how to do the job properly. Apart from the tram system there is a proper bus station with buses travelling thereto and therefrom on purposely designated routes including outlying areas (as distinct from putting a few miserly bus stops outside on the main roads on unreliable and hopelessly inefficient timetables apart from the 14) PLUS free car parking and a proper dedicated taxi service.

If you need to park to goto the village, just park in DTC.

As I see it there will be nowhere else to park other than DTC at its every increasing parking rates. Nice one if you can get it.

The other question is, where are they going to get the drivers to drive all these buses? The well documented Phantom Buses of Dublin will multiply 😁

I know they are loading bays, but they are used as parking bays. Constantly.

If they stay, people will still use them.

DTC is 3.30 for 3 hours. dirt cheap.

I dont see any problem at all with parking there and walking down to the village.

The drivers are pulling out of the taxi rank, soon as the road closures happen.

The Trafford Centre is mostly serviced by cars. Hardly anyone gets a bus there.

DTC is 3.30 for 3 hours! how cheap do you want your parking :)

What road closures?

The main road isnt being closed.

• Advertisement

I imagine that you’ll find that taxi drivers are unlikely to do anything of the sort. There’s good business to be had for them in Dundrum. But who can tell?

Also, who’s to say that taxis won’t be allowed use the bus gate at Ballinteer Road?

Talk about posting hyperbolic and scaremongering nonsense that cannot possibly be predicted at this time.

Advertisement