Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freely ,terrestrial moves to streaming from next year.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Well there's also another glaring problem, which unfortunately I'm sure they dont give two hoots about.

Currently and always, if you wanted your local stations be it RTE or BBC, once you had your TV got and your aerial up that was it, you are good. Ya I know you need a TV licence obviously.

Where as if everything was moved to streaming you now have a once off aerial cost replaced by a monthly broadband charge that's necessary to access your local public content along with no doubt still needing your licence fee.

For example I have RTE on digital and have a dish with UK channels. Don't bother with any sort of broadband package as I use my phone to stream the odd film or whatever to the TV if I wanted.

But it would be some pain for me to do that 24/7 as well as data caps or if you had visitors etc. So you'd nearly want a broadband package and your phone package.

What about people on low incomes or fixed incomes like pensioners, disabled etc? It's just more costs to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭decor58

I, like many others I'm sure, have been considering the options, using FTA for about 20 years, never had a tv sub but do have broadband or should I say I pay for a service. Our provider says on our plan can get speeds UP to 200 mbps, we regularly get about 5 mbps, sometimes even 6, on old copper cable, imagine trying to stream tv/ Netflix/ YouTube on various screens at the same time. Terrestrial broadcasting will continue for some time to come, in the absence of reliable broadband, what we would miss would be a few of the UK satellite channels. Maybe there will be some some arrangement made for the likes of BBC but wouldn't expect much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

In my area a number of folk have always be unable to receive local tv, dab,or even FM.

The hope was that now fibre is readily available,but expensive,copper has gone,bringing some problems,but maybe Freely on Broadband would at least bring their local channels to the area.

Sadly not,unless you purchase a new TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I too use aerial and dish for almost all TV.

I also have a broadband connection so have contemplated going IPTV subscription but not moved as yet.

I have set up the main TV for SWMBO so she can get access to BBC/ITV/Ch4,5 and so on including films and series, which come in over the broadband connection.

I expect with the above there is little missed …. I would probably watch sport if available, but it is not worth the cost to me as I do not have a serious interest in it.

Advertisement