Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freely ,terrestrial moves to streaming from next year.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Still 24% of households in the lurch by 2040, they say?

Funny that, from the Ofcom Connected Nations 2023 report for NI...

Broadband

More than 747,000 homes in Northern Ireland now have access to full-fibre broadband connections; over 51,000 more than last year. These connections can deliver much higher download speeds than older, copper-based broadband. Among the four UK nations, Northern Ireland (91%) has the highest availability of full-fibre networks, compared to England (56%), Scotland (53%) and Wales (55%). Northern Ireland’s fullfibre position is a result of a combination of significant early commercial rollout and publicly funded schemes designed to improve broadband in rural areas.

Superfast broadband from fixed lines (at least 30 Mbit/s) is available to 98% of residential premises in Northern Ireland, four percentage points higher than last year.

Take-up of services on full-fibre networks by residential and business customers is rising. There was an increase of 14 percentage points, from 25% reported last year to 39% this year, in take-up as a proportion of premises where full fibre is available.

Average broadband download speeds in Northern Ireland have increased by 50% to 173 Mbit/s, up from 115 Mbit/s in 2022, and reflects increasing availability and take-up of faster broadband services. Average download speeds are lower in rural areas but have increased to 120 Mbit/s in 2023, compared to 68 Mbit/s in 2022.

Average monthly broadband data use in Northern Ireland has increased to 568 GB per connection in 2023, 18% higher than in 2022.

Meanwhile, the folks at thinkbroadband.com (whom have a damn good reputation for keeping tabs on things like this across the UK) estimate that a gigabit internet connection is available to almost 95% of NI premises as of the end of January 2024 (and so has probably past that mark now), with FTTH available to over 94% of premises (mostly Openreach with some difficult rural spots covered by Fibrus via Project Stratum, along with overbuilds by Nexfibre & Netomania in certain urban locations). Add to that, their figure for being able to get a 30 M/bit download speed is at 97.8% of premises.

It has to be handed to both Openreach and Fibrus, they've done so far a good job getting FTTP/FTTH covered in NI which has a similar urban/rural divide like its neighbours in the Republic rather than in Britain yet both Gigabit & FTTP coverage exceeds that across the Irish sea. They're now at the point where all the low-hanging fruit for FTTP connectivity has been taken, and it's down now to the last 5% of so of premises that need to be done up over the next few years. The only painful thing about it is that many of these premises still only has access via landline to very slow (by today's standards) ADSL connections, too far from cabinets for FTTC/VDSL2, and that Project Stratum might miss them by because of the substantial cost of getting served.

The only way NI is going have only 76% coverage of premises with high-speed connections in 2040 is if between now and then a massive natural disaster akin to the 2006 Indian Ocean tsunami hits the place and thrashes a huge amount of infrastructure.

TL;DR? The report linked in RXTV is bollocks. However, this does not mean that broadcast TV doesn't have a place by that date (2040).

I think the EY report concentrates on takeup rather than availability of high speed BB which as you say is high in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Then that betrays the fact that you don't need gigabit-fast internet connections to watch streaming content. 10 years ago when I had just a 6.5 M/bit ADSL download speed I was still able to watch BBC iPlayer content in HD. Having FTTP doesn't mean that you have to take up a gigabit connection - plenty of people take VDSL2-esque speeds on them for better value. As it is, internet connections have never been cheaper & the UK has "social tariffs" in place for vulnerable customers to ensure that broadband availability isn't out of reach to most people.

By 2040 I'd expect the idea of needing a copper pair to access the internet to be dead in the water. Whatever may go on in the Republic, I'd expect that from the late 2020's onwards in the UK, Openreach will be telling remaining copper pair customers that there will be offering a free "compulsory" upgrade of the line into the building, to be FTTP, and those that refuse will simply be given a date where their service will be switched off on an exchange/geographical basis as old equipment fails or is on its last legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think we are all worrying for nothing, no official document have seen says that Freeview or freesat will cease to exist. Remember that the BBC have a remit to reach as much of the British population as they possibly can

If they aren't reaching enough of the tech nerds (no offence intended) in high rise skyscrapers in central London because of no dish or aerial availability that's an issue the BBC need to solve and this is how they will do it,

Freeview might be for the axe if cost cutting comes in but I don't think freesat will ever go as it reaches 100% of the population, something broadband is unlikely to ever do

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Yes, my big fear regarding tv was losing the main UK channels BBC,ITV,CH4 and CH5 and their respective spin off stations! If they were no longer available here in Ireland ( on Freesat) then what is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Just a thought as posted way back in yesteryear.

Conspiracy folk got very excited years back when a red Lazar was seen going up to the ISS.

NASA put their hands up ,admitting it was them.

Seems they used OPALS, a very high speed Lazar TX system, involving Elon , of space X fame.

Maybe this system allows for a Lazar to penetrate cloud and adverse weather?

Maybe if used down here it could it mean we didn't have to use poles,cables and God forbid, dig up all those roads?

Just a wee thought, sorry if thread crossing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Ok for PtP unobstructed earth/space comms and maybe high capacity ptp short distance ground based links but as a replacement for poles, cables etc it's a non-runner.

Even with lower frequency radio comms physical obstructions can interfere or block a signal.

Maybe if they ever launch high altitude comms platforms, serving smaller areas, something like that might be a possibility. Realistically we're stuck with physical infrastructure for a long time to come.

Perhaps the US Congress may come to some solution with the UAPs,!

Good point,"User friendly" I wouldn't say trying to go live for local optout bbc news at 6.30 on Iplayer is user friendly?

Mobile network is still patchy in some local areas,I've been in an N.I.Notspot for all mobile signals also,2 G outside the property up the fields,for 3 decades,and believe I always will be .

However with copper now gone and replaced with fibre here,it's VoWifi to the rescue.o

• Advertisement

RTE seemed to have a lot of unused bandwidth space after the switchover to digital terrestrial,?

One problem with copper gone, as discussed before. Is what happens when power goes,as regularly occurs in this rural area. At least with the 48vdc available on the copper you could plug in an old dumb phone and still stay connected. With all eggs in one basket,I've purchased a UPS for the future,as we are one power station, Kilroot down as of last year,with 2 remaining.

Do you think if Sky dishes start to disappear, with the advent of Glass,freesat with be less likely an option for the average viewer?

As I understand it,initially freely will only be available on a very few TV receivers, maybe one day,monitors?

An improvement in functionality would be to bring TV to remote areas,assuming they have the Net,.This area is rural with many reception problems,both on tv and radio throughout the season.

Another silly thought I had and mentioned to the crew laying miles of gas pipes for the last few years was to ask why the fibre couldn't be inside the gas pipes as its only light.?

The lad replied,"Couldn't be done as Another crew would be out soon to dig the roads up to lay fibre"

All the various services have to be at different depths..

Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Why would a sky dish disappear? I assume at some point sky will stop installing new ones, at which point the options will be to get a dish installed by yourself or one of the many satellite dish installers out there.

At some point sky will likely also stop using the astra satellites for provision of their services and then you won't have a choice if you want satellite TV but freesat

Freesat is unlikely to ever stop broadcasting unless the UK gets 100% concentration of broadband fast enough to support freely, not something I ever see happening

I said, Do you think Sky dishes will Start to disappear with the advent of Glass.

Surely the average person getting a new Sky Glass TV,will no longer use the dish?

Also how many "Average viewers "will install Freesat?

I see many dishes on buildings in these parts in an awful state of decay.

But your right dishes will be around for many years to come and I've held onto my one metre Lenson Heath.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Dishes will still be around but for what use. I started using free to air satellite in 2004, BBC and I think Sky news were the only significant broadcasters available FTA at the time, it might well get back to that. There were loads of other channels but nothing you would sit and watch, I think ITV3 came along about that time, might go full circle.

RXTV satellite page saying the end is not far away🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Yeah saw that, the 3 satellites are due due for retirement in 2027, 28 and 29, nothing like a deadline to focus minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Gardening

It's a cheaper way for them to broadcast

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gardening

It's because it's a cheaper way for them to broadcast

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wonder if Hisense will 'upgrade' the existing TVs to incorporate Freely in place of its already fairly functional grouping of BBC, ITV, Ch5, etc..

Perhaps a stand alone separate set top / firestick device may be available later,allowing you to keep your existing TV.

I know of parts of the country still not getting freeview terrestrial service,they rely on Sky,but we're going to pack it in.

They have Internet and thought Freely could be their salvation,only to find they'd have to buy a new tele!

Maybe more money may be made in the mix,as we suffer 6inch screens as mentioned above,with ear buds.

As pointed out many more and closer Txs for 5 g,but perhaps car reception might improve?

I recently drove the very short distance from Newcastle. Co Down to Annalong. Only to hear the radio ulster programme morph into Irish and then Welsh. Isle of Mann Tx 200 Watts,Wales, 50kwatts!

Comments on the BBC site,perhaps your in a poor reception area! ( But we'll keep taking your licence fee,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Belta_TVwiz

Ay, beratna, I hear ya loud and clear 'bout da radio dance between Newcastle and Annalong. It's like tryin' to catch a signal from da far reaches of da Belt.

But hold up, it ain't just about da power of da transmitters. Sometimes, it's all 'bout da angles, da curves of da rock, da way da signals bounce and twist through da void.

I feel ya frustration, yeah? One moment you're groovin' to Radio Ulster, next thing ya know, it's morphin' into Irish and Welsh like some kinda cosmic remix.

But check it, we beltalowda, we adapt, we find ways to tune in even when da waves be playin' tricks on us. Maybe one day, da tech'll catch up, da signals'll ride smooth like a skiff on calm waters.

Till then, keep ya ears peeled, beratna, and keep shoutin' into da void. Maybe someday, da waves'll sing our tune loud and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Sky emailing customers warning switch off of old gear,If you don't contract up? Panic sets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Belta_TVwiz

Eh, beratna, I hear ya loud and clear, like a transmission through the void. Sky's always droppin' them messages, makin' us feel like we're driftin' without a tether.

But take a breath, yeah? Don't let da panic grip ya like da vacuum itself. It's just da churn of da scap, da way da Sky keep their business spinnin'. Ain't nothin' to fret over.

Sure, they'll send their warnings, their threats, like da roar of a hurricane. But remember, ya hold da power, beratna. Contract or no contract, you're still da captain of ya own ship.

So don't let da Sky rattle ya cage. Keep ya head high, keep sailin' through da scap. Panic ain't in our beltalowda nature. Oye, we're stronger than da churn, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Belta_TVwiz, welcome to Boards. Generally, it’s the custom (and rule) to post in English here. Further posts worthy of Hector Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean will be regarded as trolling, and will be actioned as such. Thanks.

Advertisement