Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious accusation by a neighbour

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,245 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Some people think everything is a serious issue.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

If it is dropped then no issues but I would ask the Management Company to please document this officially in case of any further issues.

Even if it was something along the lines of 'In relation to the complaint made against (your name) on xxxx by another resident we note that upon investigation this complaint/accusation was false and made against the incorrect party.'

Personally I would then consider bringing it to the local garda station just to have it documented there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I know. That's what I was trying to say. Most places will have a policy of no retaliation for a report made in good faith. Malicious reporting of something would need a lot of evidence behind it (history of harassment, repeated reporting of same person etc) and even then it's risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

My point is that the question of whether the OP can prove that the complaint was malicious, or how they would prove it, doesn't even arise unless the OP things it was malicious. And they OP hasn't said that they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

OP has said it was serious, but they are pretty lax on the details.

Depends on what the accusation was. Falsely accusing somebody of assault is very different to playing music after 10pm. There is clearly information being withheld.

Documented by the cards how? It a complaint to the owners corporation, involving the guards is a bit ott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Oh god you aren't this moaner who's door was broke and it "ruined" your Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

A lot of assumptions here so let me clear some things up.

1. I have zero issues with any neighbours, have been living here for 6+ years. Never had any complaints made against me and have never made any complaints against anyone.
    2. I was accused of recording videos of children/taking pictures of children, and also being "anti-children".
    3. The person who made the accusations has not apologised, I don't know who they are. It was the management company who apologised.
    4. My "alibi" is that I was literally not in the country when the incident took place. I'm assuming the person mistakingly worked out the apartment from the ground floor and got it wrong. So yes, most likely not malicious at all but still a very big mistake to make.
    5. I am not looking for drama - this accusation was brought to me. The least I would like is an apology from the person who made the accusation. I don't think that's asking too much but most likely won't happen.
    Post edited by scdublin on

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

It was a joke. Think trees falling in the forest and take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It is as you said originally a very serious allegation and shame about the 'after hours' like responses you have received.

It's a very weird one and if it was me I would want answers to a lot of questions.

1. What evidence was there? - Did the accuser see someone with a camera or see photos?

2. Was I mentioned by name, by description, or simply by apartment window guesswork by the accuser?

3. How can I be accused of being anti-kids? What is that based on?

The fact they said 'anti-kids' in general makes me assume they know who you are, at least they know your face and have taken a disliking to you.

My original advice stands. Talk to the gardai and ask their advice and ask them to make a note of it. Basically just let it be known that you went to the gardai first in case any further trouble ensues. Tell the management company you have done so in the hope it gets back to the accuser to give them a bit of a fright. It will also make you look better to the management company imo.

I'm not saying be dramatic or hostile btw as other people said. Just be friendly and open in your dealings with those authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Serious allegations are serious and mean serious compo ! Cha-ching ! $$$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You're not going to find out who made this complaint.

The main thing you need to be reassured about is that the people to whom the complaint was made understand that it is entirely baseless. And it seems they do.

There's no reason at all to think there was any malice involved, so we have to proceed on the basis that this was a genuine mistake, perhaps committed by somebody who was acting over-hastily, because their sensitivity to the possibility of child abuse was running ahead of the actual facts and evidence.

An apology from the person who made the complaint is not going to be forthcoming; they probably think that being hyper-vigilant about dangers to children is nothing to apologise for.

And I would not stress about this; the apology is comparatively unimportant. Whatever damage might have been done to your reputation by this mistaken allegation — and, fortunately, it seems there was none — would not be in any way mitigated by an apology given to you. If, hypothetically, a neighbour heard banging at your door and loud accusations of perversion being yelled through it, they might have their doubts about you, but those doubts would not be assuaged by an apology given to you; your neighbour would never know about the apology.

Any action you take to demand accounts, explanations, apologies, fuller investigations, etc simply keeps the matter alive and current, and reinforces in the mind of more and more people that you were accused of shonky behaviour. Even though the allegation made against you is entirely false, it cannot possibly be to your advantage to call continued attention to the fact that the allegation was made. And doing this for the sake of an entirely useless apology would be . . . unwise.

I would say there is a reason to suggest malice is involved based on the 'anti-kids' allegation. It's so subjective that I would assume that the accusations are based on a personal bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭peter4918

1. Never had any complaints made against me and have never made any complaints against anyone.
    2. I was accused of recording videos of children/taking pictures of children, and also being "anti-children".
    3. The person who made the accusations has not apologised, I don't know who they are. It was the management company who apologised.

Ok then? Did you read your own post?

Never had any complaints but accused of recording children/taking pictures of children. Is that not classed as a complaint?

Bizarre post. He obviously meant before this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭peter4918

It’s not that bizarre really. The OP has gone from knowing nothing about the complaint or who made it, to posting his let me clear things up 1 - 5 post. Who came to him and told him all this, he said earlier the management company won’t tell him who made the complaint or what the complaint is.

that’s bizarre to me.

Where did he say that they wouldn't tell him what the complaint is? Of course he knew what the complaint was, but probably didn't want to reveal it at first. Probably expected he might be taken at face value rather than being accused of being dramatic and mocked.

I don't see any reason not to take him at face value unless you actually don't want to.

Advertisement