Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious accusation by a neighbour

Options
  • 18-09-2023 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had a very serious allegation made against me by a neighbour last week (slanderous/defamatory), that was passed onto me via my landlady and the management company of the apartment block.

I was away on holidays at the time the incident took place, so luckily I have streams of evidence that it was not me.

Currently, the management company have apologised and are going to notify the neighbour that she has the wrong person/apartment, but it does not sit well with me that she made this very serious complaint and was wrong. Apparently she was also banging on my door shortly after the incident took place.

What are my rights in following this up if I choose to? Do the management company have to tell me who made the accusation if I ask, or can they only tell me this if I go the legal route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If you don't know who it was, how do you know she was banging on your door? Or that it was a woman, for that matter?

I doubt the mgmt company will tell you who it was, and unless you can prove it was done maliciously, you don't have much grounds for defamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭JoChervil

OP, is it possible that someone else was using your apartment, while you were away?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

The management company forwarded on the complaint where the accuser mentions banging on the door and receiving no answer. I don't know for sure it was a woman but I guess it doesn't really matter if they were male or female when it comes down to the complaint.

Yeah I don't think I could prove it was malicious - I do think they should be held accountable for being completely wrong to the point of coming to my door, submitting a complaint against me and threatening to involve the gards.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What injury has been done to your reputation? Who thinks any the less of you because of this incident? How has the injury to your reputation affected you?

There's no legal remedy for hurt feelings. You need to show concrete ways in which this inaccurate accusation has caused you injury.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭ottolwinner

what Do you want out of all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭jj880

Since you have an airtight alibi - dont tell us half a story - what were you accused of?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I find many people in this country vastly overestimate what counts as legally defaming someone.

Complaining about someone to an apartment management company is not defamation, especially when they promptly admitted it was a mistake. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

OP, if it is a serious allegation I think you should have a word with the gardai, tell them what happened and ask them to make a note of it. Also inform the management that it has been reported.

It could be that someone has it in for you, so it's better that everyone knows that that person makes up porkies, especially the gardai, before you're accused of something for which you don't have an alibi.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

'Streams of evidence'.

Drama queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭wandererz

Chill out.

Why do you care so much about what everyone else thinks?

Life is short. Worry about the stuff that matters.

It's not serious. It's just an accusation.

Perhaps it's time to take a deeper, more meaningful look at yourself and ask how you can be a better person.

For example, by asking yourself "how can I put this aside and move along with my life".

Perhaps get into the lotus position and meditate for 45mins.

Channel all that negative energy out of your body, mind and soul.

Get onto meetup.com. Find a local group that you can join so that you can get a life.

Do follow my advice.

My name is not Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes they should be held accountable about for being wrong. They banged on a door, of an unoccupied apartment. They could apologise to the door.

Not sure what else you are expecting. They thought you did something, you were supposedly away. so they've been told it wasn't you. If this were actually a very serious allegation, the guards would be involved. Most likely it's something trivial like a noise complaint or parking in the wrong sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

If someone bangs on an an apartment door and there’s no one inside to hear it, can it really be said to make a sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭wandererz

It's an apartment. There are interconnected walls and doors.

Reverberations reverberate.

In this case the other apartment residents should take a case against the person banging on the door.

A very serious allegation was made according to the OP. My assumption of that would be a criminal allegation of some sort, and that's why I gave the advice I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 anonymouscactus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

What legal retribution are you hoping for OP? A public apology? Some money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP if you don't think it could be proven that it was malicious then I don't think you have a leg to stand on. I work in an environment where we get whistleblowing of potential wrong doing. Part of the fundamental process is that an assumption is there that all accusations are made in good faith & that there is no retaliation of whistleblowers due to this. Only if there is overwhelming evidence that the complaint was malicious in nature would we pursue that. It's very difficult to prove malicious intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,245 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OP had you other interactions over similar incidents where you were actually at fault previously

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭ratracer

The door was assaulted…….and needs urgent redress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

Has there been anything in the past between you and this neighbour that might cloud your judgement of the current incident?

Nothing in the OP suggests that the complaint was malicious. It was just wrong.

I am not quite sure if the OP stated that. The OP stated that he was not informed on who made the compliant however in the first post he referred to the complianant as ''she'' continually. I suspect they have had interactions with someone in the apartment complex before.

Maybe even there alibi is suspect it very easy to turn on Alexia full blast remotely for a few minutes

Slava Ukrainii

I don't know why people are assuming the allegation is playing music too loud or something. That would not be a 'very serious allegation' in anyone's book.

I suspect he has a fair idea who it was. Probably someone who has taken a dislike to him and that's why he should protect himself if he is in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the alleged incident was raping someone in the apartment, for example, then surely the complainant would have called the guards rather than banged in the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I would say that the minimum that the OP should get is an apology from the neighbors. For what ever reason it was, the neighbors got it wrong and made an accusation. There has to be consequences for this type of behaviour and I'd say an apology is the least the neighbor should asked to give.

Neighbor got it wrong and needs to apologise to the OP.

• Advertisement

I say OP has a issue with the neighbor. They would want to be careful. If I was the LL and it was becoming hassle I be looking for a way to get them out.

You do not go around looking for apologies off neighbours, live and let live. I somehow think there is more to this. OP has probably being pulled up by this neighbor over something and see this as a chance to get even

They want to be careful they do not p!SS off there LL

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement