Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl in work I fancy....

Options
  • 13-09-2023 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have seen her on dating app....I'd like to give her a 'like' on this app....She would know it was me as likes on this dating app are free and you can see who ever....

Is this appropriate or inappropriate?

I work in HR.....She started 3 months ago....I am her main point of contact so we've had little bits of conversation.....I work in a multinational....

One part of me thinks it doesn't feel right/feels inappropriate....I am not senior HR nor her boss/anything like that....

Another part thinks 'Is it against the law to approach someone? is it really a big deal? People often date through work? She can just ignore me if she wants? Am I overthinking this?.......

Just looking for other people's opinions/thoughts....One part of me thinks I am over thinking this....Another part thinks I am right to be cautious....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

If you are her “main point of contact” at the moment in the company then I would not “like” her on the app. It may be that some would see some form of power differential as a result of this position you have in relation to her which your employer has bestowed on you. You are currently a representative of the company in your dealings with her

She is new and trying to find her way in the company, I don’t think this will help her at all and she may find it a bit creepy that one of her colleagues is hitting on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 johntrav_1985

That is my over riding feeling also....

On the flipside did people not ask other people out in the workplace 20 years ago??!! Have we all gone too PC?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Probably but it is as it is.

Maybe though she senses it anyway and she'll approach you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Nope don't go there!

I've absolutely nothing against work relationships, however she's only new and you are her contact in HR.

I'd give her a few months to settle in. Christmas parties will be starting up and you could organically have a conversation there and see how it goes.

I definitely wouldn't be contacting her through a dating app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Chat to her, you know she's single. Ask her out if you like her, the world is gone mad if you don't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

Its nothing to do with being PC

Sounds like you ( working in HR ) are stalking this poor girl by checking her social media accounts outside of work.

Did you "just happen" to come across her profile on dating app?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Avoid the app anyway, if you know someone in real life and you like them on an app it comes across as if you're too afraid to do it face to face and that's not a good look.

Do you talk to her much in the office or at socials? I'd generally know if a woman likes me as they usually make it very obvious and put themselves in your orbit a lot. Unless you're sure I'd keep it cool for a while and try to get to know her naturally first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Of course they did but there were still rules around it.

As you work in HR the rules are going to be different for you, straight away there's a power imbalance. You said yourself you're her main contact. Even if you have no say in her day to day activities you can still access personal information and you'll still be privy to business decisions that may impact her team. So you are in a murky area.

Even if she was a newbie on the team next to you (you weren't in HR but rather another employee on same grade etc) I'd still be saying don't contact her on a dating app.

If you know someone in real life, you use the real life connection, contacting them via an app is abit weird ....apps are for people you don't know.

Easy now....No I wasn't stalking her....She just came up on feed....I think she is cute and I enjoy our little chats...No need to go over the top....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Christ stalking is a bit presumptuous. I briefly used dating apps a few years ago. The 1st girl I came across was my mates ex. I also saw girls who live near me it's not stalking. What do u mean by "poor girl?" she put herself on the app is she to assume nobody from work might be on the same app?

• Advertisement

Fair call and that is my feeling also...My gut instinct told me it just doesn't feel right....

We are living in same city, around same age....I don't live in Dublin so small city....We live close enough...That is kind of how the apps work as opposed to putting people who live in another county up on your feed....You can't really go find people on dating apps - I don't think so anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

Just happens to be a member of HR who fancies her....

Seems like a coincidence. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If you want to lose your own job, fire away and like her and ask her out.

As others have said there’s a power differential here. If it doesn’t work out she could say she felt she had no choice but to say yes, felt harassed etc. She’s also I’m guessing considering the time frame still on probation? This is just screaming problems, esp. as you’re in a multinational. I’ve worked in a few multinationals and seen colleagues get disciplined for far less than this. The optics of this are so bad on so many levels.

The chances of this working out well are frighteningly low.

If I were in your shoes I would bury these thoughts very quickly. To be honest I’m a little shocked you even have to ask considering you work in HR. Part of me wonders if you’re trolling, that’s how bad an idea this is.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

To be fair I think I always indicated I thought it was bad idea...I just wanted to see if maybe I was being over cautious....I wasn't being over cautious and I have my answer - bad idea - which I initially thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

OP, This is a pretty easy situation if you are patient. Like it sorts itself out really naturally in a bit of time.

God, Stay away from anything about her on the App. That will come across as lacking confidence, creepy and creates something weird. Imagine if you liked her on it, and she had to pretend she didnt see that or something. Asking her out? While she is new, and you are her HR rep? Totally creepy. Not because of anything you have done wrong, its just not a fair dynamic. Don't ever do action that puts pressure or creates a situation that girl has to make 'a call' about whether to go with it or not. If you are at that place, you've already lost your chance ungracefully. It creates pressure and anxiety.

The simple, easy and most effective approach to take her is risk free too. You befriend this person, get to know them. Feel out the vibe with her and drop little hints over time as you create a good bond together. If you are the type of person she is attracted to, she will be attracted to you. You are not an idiot, you wont miss the main signs. Have coffee together, have laughs, flirt and tease. If its returned, you know its safe to suggest outside work activities. If its not, you will know before even getting to the asking out stage. So there's very socially appropriate plausible deniability that lets everyone keep their grace and chill. With Christmas parties coming up etc, there is loads of time to build up some friendship and tension, and you'll have plenty of chances to hang outside the office.

Dont make it into some choice she has to make in a all or nothing decision, thats mad likely to make people feel pressured. Just build things up and you'll both signal intention anyways.

Again agree with everything you say here.....These were my initial thoughts also....I just was just throwing out the app idea to get other opinions..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

With this kind of thing you just need to think about it from the other person's point of view.

Woman, started in a new job, gets a like on a dating app from her HR contact person.

The probability of her response being 'oh wow! I really like that guy!' over 'oh no! The HR guy in my new job is a creep!' Is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Never dip your pen in the company ink.

Especially if you are in HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Be friendly to her and see what happens. No sense going straight in and asking her out.

My thoughts are not to mess with someone in work unless you're both sure what you're getting into.

Tread lightly and see if she drops some hints.

Xmas party is only a few months away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

One lad in our old job asked a new female employee "Have you any plans for the weekend" one Friday at the end of the day.

As in, are you up to anything, anything special on, as you do just trying to start conversation.

Not asking her out in any way shape or form.

He was called in Monday for sexual harassment. He was suspended, She left and got paid off. Whole thing was mental.

STAY AWAY 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm nearly LOLing at this story but it does illustrate how things can get totally lost in translation. One person's friendly conversation can be perceived as another's sexual harassment. Interaction between men and women who don't really know each other can be a minefield, especially somewhere like the workplace where they are colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Forget the dating app for now, be old school & chat to her normally & get a feel for things,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Add in them being foreign and not knowing colloquialisms.. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Clicking "like" on the app for a Girl in work you fancy has the potential to cause huge amounts of hassle for you, particularly because you're in HR.

It's not worth it, and if I were you I would not do it.

May I also add dating co-workers is TERRIBLE idea, I would urge you to avoid. #askmehowiknow 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

In general avoid the app as many have said already but if you do "like" her on the app will she know immediately or only if she also likes you, as in you "match"?

If it's a case of matching then it doesn't really matter and she only knows if she is also interested so no issue whether you do or not.

Again I pretty much agree :) I think I have said I agree with this sentiment a number of times now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Gotta say, the fact this is a HR person asking this question has made my jaw drop a little bit to be honest.

New start - Red Flag 1

You're her point of contact - Red Flag 2

You work in HR - Red Flag 3

Strike 3. Don't do it.

Imagine this scenario, you swipe right, ye match, date and in 3 months her probation period is coming to an end, her line manager wants to offload her, and you, as HR contact has to liaise between parties.

She would know....As I said it doesn't feel appropriate and my gut instinct said 'Not a good idea'....Mainly due to me working in HR and small power imbalance IMO....Not like I am her Manager or even a dotted line....

A female buddy of mine who also works in HR (different company) was asked out by a chap from accounting....None of us felt an issue there...However it is not comparing like for like...

I do think it says a lot about society that straight away a few people referred to me as a 'creep' straight away...I am 'stalking' her....What happened to just wanting to take someone out on a date.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

don't

Advertisement