Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euthanasia, your views

Options
  • 12-09-2023 10:03pm

It’s being aired on Prime Time at the moment and deserves an airing here, whatever reasonable opinions may be held. What are your views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

A favourite tool of commies and fascists alike. If you are well enough to kill yourself do it by your own hand if your not well enough then tough.

I have witnessed first hand end of life of death of next of kin from Motor Neurone Disease after a very fast course of disease of less than a year. The progression was shocking, but the death was incredibly peaceful. As next of kin I promised my cousin she would have a very peaceful death, she trusted me and she duly had experienced the best death imaginable. Her last words were “I’m fine, just bring me in my winter clothes@.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

In MND Hospices will routinely administer heavy sedatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Haven't been watching the programme but ...

I think if I was in extreme pain and misery and no way out I'd wish for the Euthanasia option.

What is the point of suffering terribly until your death, if their is another more humane option ? And causing others suffering watching you situation. Not to mention financial costs and everything else involved with being a full time carer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Disabled people are already complaining about how often they're asked in they want a DRR order in hospital: I'm sure they'll be delighted with people regularly asking if they want euthanasia.

And it'll deal with the aging population problem too.

• Advertisement

On the other hand for conditions that are particularly manageable, and many advanced illnesses are, palliative care can be excellent. It’s just I’ve seen palliative care in practice in two cases of MND, which has a specific management routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I have a genuine interest in this area, I have Multiple Sclerosis, chronic cardiomyopathy, chronic depression and and end ileostomy to contend with. I am definitely itely in Disabled category and have the parking permit. I really feel seriously depressed at times, other times I feel life needs to be lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

im all for it in the right circumstance.

there should be some kind of scale of suffering and dignity that if you go below a certain level you can take this option. say you have no use of your self and are stuck in bed all day and need someone to wash you and wipe you arse etc then your quality of life and dignity is gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I remember Marie Fleming ( I think) going to court to end her life because of MS . I was getting diagnosed at the time . I'm still in two minds about legalising euthanasia .

That’s a real issue and a moral dilemma. Say I convey when my MS gets to the stage where I can’t get out of bed unassisted, I might still have the capacity to hold & swallow the lethal drugs. Then say I’ve left if a bit delayed or things have caught up and I cannot hold or swallow the substance. I have already experienced with moderate MS that ability to hold or swallow a substance can just disappear overnight, it’s scary stuff.

The “unwanted” or “bedblockers” I presume, which I’m in training for hugely due to an inadequate GP (service)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,445 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I would like the option, the idea of a long illness with an inevitable prognosis that will render me dependent by degrees is horrifying.

I don't want to linger and die in a hospice.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

If I were in tremendous pain with a terminal diagnosis, the horrible truth is that I would probably want to avoid unnecessary suffering.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm personally against it because it will be abused. No amount of safeguards will be able to prevent that. People will be coerced and bullied into it, guaranteed.

I also feel it will also lead to a cheapening of the lives of the elderly and infirm and eventually be offered as the primary "care" option for the terminally ill.

And that's before we get to it being available for the mentally ill.

Proper palliative care where people are made comfortable and treated with dignity is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 IstvaanV

My best friend died of a rare and viciously destructive bone cancer. He told me while he was still lucid that he wanted to end his own life before it got too bad or before he was too sick to be able to do it. It terrified me at the time to hear him voice such thoughts, such wants, such needs.

His natural death was one of suffering, bloody, full of pain and horror. Loss of limbs, loss of portions of his skull, unable to eat solid food. Ultimately a medically induced coma while he was eaten away by the rampantly aggressive cancer ravaging his body.

We, his friends and family, we all got to watch this play out, to have this seared into our minds - to bear witness to a truly bad death. Over a decade and I can still see that hospital room sometimes when I blink. Smell the antiseptic stench of that ward in dreams.

If he could have spared himself that horror he would have done so. With hideous hindsight, if I could have spared him that horror I would do it in a heart beat. It is inhumane to not have that option in the face of such circumstance.

A moral dilemma. Ok fair enough...who's morals? Healthy people who can sprout some opinion about a situation they have never witnessed, cannot understand or have not experienced directly perhaps.

Yesterday I got results from a CT scan to investigate long term abdominal pains. Two tumors. Might be benign, might be cancerous. Nobody gets to tell me how I go out if it is cancerous and metastasized. They can shove their own selfish morals into my cancerous corpse.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was diagnosed with MS about a year or two after the Marie Fleming case. I remember that's all that was going through my mind in the first few days after when the neurologist told me I had it.

I would probably be cautiously in favour of euthanasia with various safeguards. People euthanise animals to save their suffering. We are told it's the humane thing to do and nobody objects. I'm not comparing the life of a person with that of an animal but I never understood why we don't apply the same logic to ourselves. I don't mean to oversimplify the issue with a statement like that either. There's much to consider with such an issue.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,445 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I also feel it will also lead to a cheapening of the lives of the elderly and infirm and eventually be offered as the primary "care" option for the terminally ill.

I think the opposite. It will allow those who want to avoid pain, loss of independence and a slow decline to death a way to avoid it.

Life is precious, but only when it is enjoyable. Everyone has their limits.

I know . If being diagnosed wasn’t enough I then had a premonition of what life might be like. It was a sobering experience .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Jack Tar

My mother died from dementia. I will never ever forget her heartbroken, terrified tears after she got her diagnosis. Or for that matter, having to watch her suffer as she lost her independence and her mind. She suffered a horrible death and that was with palliative care. By the time she finally died she was a vacant shell of a person who could no longer communicate with anyone. All we could do was sit by her bed and watch her suffer until her body finally gave out. The people who want to stop euthanasia being an option for the terminally ill love to trot out palliative care as an option. That's bullshit. It works for some people but not everyone. Unfortunately mum was not one of the lucky ones. We need safeguards, yes, but euthanasia needs to exist in Ireland. One size does not fill all.

If I get a similar diagnosis in the future I will be taking my own life as early as possible. After seeing what my mother went through, there is no way I want that for me. The clock starts ticking once you get bad news. I wish we had living wills and euthanasia but I fear that day is still a long way away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm a definite yes, I've got multiple chronic illnesses so at increased risk for multiple cancers. So I'm assuming there's a good chance I'll end up getting one of them. In the event of being terminally ill, I'd prefer to go on my own terms rather than the illness eating away at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've watched 1 grandfather die of MND, a vital, strong and intelligent man, reduced to paralysed waif, locked into an unresponsive body. Should such a diagnosis ever come my way? I know what I'd do.

The issue of Euthanasia is always a loaded one. I firmly believe in one's right to their bodily autonomy and that right comes with the implicit right to end one's own life. It doesn't extend to having the right to compel others to assist you though.

That then brings one back to the how, what legal options can be facilitated to give one a "neat" death? One that preserves the dignity of the deceased and their loved ones? The rise of DNRs in the routine care of the disabled. The move towards "disposable" extending into the treatment & palliative care regime or options? That should not be allowed. I have serious concerns regarding some of the headline euthanasia cases out of Canada & Belgium on that front.

Above all? I would have concerns were any decision around Euthanasia were made on a cost basis, rather than on a quality of life basis for the patient.

The trope of "Death panels" that's trotted out during treatment decisions by some in the US, should be a genuine concern. Such a decision should not lie in the hands of insurers and the best interest of the patient, rather than cost should be central tenet of any Euthanasia policy adopted.

Reading about the symptoms of mnd , they are very similar to symptoms of MS . Very worrying .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

I've seen too many family members die slowly, and painfully, from terminal illnesses. It's imperative that it becomes available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Re

Nobody gets to tell me how I go out if it is cancerous and metastasized. They can shove their own selfish morals into my cancerous corpse.

Euthanasia isn't about people telling you when you go out. You can kill yourself any old time. (I don't personally recommend it, just to be clear.)

It's about making it legal for a doctor to prescribe and administer drugs that will take you out. In short , it's "suicide by doc".

Ideally, a doctor will only do that at your specific request, made when you are of sound mind (so it's too late once someone has dementia diagnosis) and terminally ill. And they will have made sure that you aren't subject to family pressure (from relatives who want to get their hands on your land+money ASAP) or social pressure (from people who believe that YOUR life has not quality, because THEY would not like to live that way - or government officials who want your bed - or house - for someone else).

But good luck with actually applying that. Especially in a death-glorifying culture where people look forward to funerals!

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I guess there are some that do not think you are treating people with "dignity" if you do not give them basic ownership and control over their own lives and when they decide to end it or live it.

As long as we are making that choice for them - they would see it as just posturing the concept of dignity for our own comfort rather than for any actual benefit of the people who are the recipients of such benign dictatorship. Like colonials enforcing civilization and culture on indigenous populations at the end of a sword. "Dignity" comes from within and how one chooses to carry themselves or not through their own lives. It is not something that is enforced on you.

That said it is not a subject I know too much about. But I am dimly aware there are countries which do allow Euthanasia and the like. Like "Dignitas" or whatever it is called. I might be spelling that wrong as I have only ever heard it said not seen it written.

So surely it is the case that your "guaranteed" thesis above - of how it would be coerced, bullied, abused and will cheapen the lives of the elderly, infirm, and other concerns in your post - can be quite easily checked? Are the counties with things like "Dignitas" displaying the outcomes and results you feel are literally inevitable? I ask not as a "gotcha" but because I genuinely do not know.

How are the elderly or mentally compromised or terminally ill treated in such countries? If your thesis is as "guaranteed" as you assert it to be - then it must be quite awful for such groups in those countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Mnd patients could do it themselves the minute they get the diagnosis. Their choice to linger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’m not sure what red tape requires removing for people that are able and want to kill themselves. Surely they would just go ahead and do it. This is for those who are in pain and incapable of stopping their misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Outside of this being an incredibly cold hearted remark. In that scenario, if they have access to the necessary drugs then they have to get things like doses right and if that goes wrong, they're potentially in a worse scenario than they started with. Euthanasia takes that risk out of the equation.

Advertisement