Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder charging us for something we didn’t ask for

Options
  • 12-09-2023 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Hi all

lm buying a new build and due to close this week / next week

one of our requests the builder said he’d do was to add an extra socket in the utility

that wasn’t done and instead they installed an external plug outside.

they are now charging us for the external plug.

we never asked for this…it came up and the neighbours had requested it but we hadn’t.

can I insist on not paying?

it’s only 120€ but it’s the principal especially when they didn’t do what we’d asked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Read the post.

The 120 isn’t the issue..

its the fact that where being charged for something we never asked for.

what we did ask for wasn’t done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I read the post and it looks like the 120 is a fairly key issue.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Have you told the builder you won't pay for something you didn't ask for?

I can't imagine they'd be too bothered over 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Mistakes happen and if they were all only as mickey mouse as this one wouldn't every builder and house buyer be happy.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Dublinandy3

You can insist on not paying. I don't think they'd put up much of a fight.

It's hard enough getting the snag items that only crop up after you've moved in fixed, so I'd suggest whomever you're dealing with, the point of contact, don't alienate them as this short term win could lead to long term stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Within the last fortnight I was quoted €175 + VAT to install a new internal double socket in my hall approx 8 feet away from my fuse box.

€120 for an external socket sounds cheap, and while you may not have asked for it, you might be glad of it at a later stage, even though its annoying you now.

I'd ask for the internal socket you wanted to be added now, and see what price they give you for both. Haggle a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sounds like a simple mistake installing in the wrong house.

Just ask the builder to put it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, if the internal socket is important to you, get him to do it before you close. Having an external socket is very handy indeed for pressure washers, DIY etc, but if you didn’t ask for it, I’m not sure why they are charging you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭Homer

maybe he will come back and remove the external socket and not bother with the one in the utility and deduct the €120 from the bill.

• Advertisement

It seems some aren’t comprehending the fact that the builder neglected to do what was asked for, did something that wasn’t asked for, and is invoicing the customer for their mistake. In what other circumstances would this be acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

OMG, have you spoken to the builder yet. Hanlon's razor applies in these situations.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sounds like a genuine error on the builders part.

If you don't want to pay for it, tell him to take it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Don't have a hole in the wall of your house where you could have had a socket. Every time you go to plug your powerhose in you'll kick yourself.

Was he wrong, yes. Is it frustrating, sure, but look at the bigger picture. Pay the 120 and maybe suggesr that he put the socket in in the utility too.

That's a real victory, not just a moral one.

The builder can’t leave a hole in the wall, he would have to return it to the condition it was before work which wasn’t requested, was done on it.

I agree with you, I have an outside socket myself which is great for car washer, car charging before I got a charger, and DIY power tools. But you don’t seem to be getting what the op’s issue is, they did something which wasn’t asked , didn’t do what was asked for, and charged him €120. If you ordered something in a shop, and something completely different arrived which you didn’t want, what would you say to the shop if they still demanded payment for the item you didn’t order?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The OP is entitled to his principles - however in the real world you'll find being pragmatic about things makes life easier for everyone.

So you got an extra outside socket, as others said, 120 is a steal. Ask for the utility sockets to be fitted also.

Paying 120 more for something you probably will find useful in future is not a big deal. Its about 0.01% more ontop of your house purchase.

The time you will spend chasing up trying to get out of paying is likely worth more than 120 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I can't wait for the neighbour to come here complaining that they ordered an outside socket and got one installed in their utility.

This is a simple mistake and the OP got billed for it, there's no conspiracy here the sparks got the jobs mixed up and billed accordingly. They don't even appear to have talked to the builder about the mistake.

The simple solution is to do a deal for both plugs. The nuclear option is to insist on the outside plug being removed, the wall put back to new and getting the utility plug installed but as @Dublinandy3 said you won't be a priority for fixing your snags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'd imagine if you don't want to pay they will just take it out.

An outdoor socket is a no brainer. Everything from kids bouncy castles to charging a car.

Real or imaginary, the op didn’t get what he asked for, and was charged for something they didn’t. Whether what he got will be useful doesn’t alter the fact that he doesn’t have a socket inside, and has a bill for outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

OP check with the neighbour and see if they have the internal socket, if they do just swap houses. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

strange responses here. why would anyone pay for something they didn't as for. If I ask for coffee and get tea should I pay?

OP - is the outdoor socket of any value to you? As others have said they are useful for a whole range of things.

Is the guy doing your indoor one aswell? Personally I would try to come to an agreement on a reduced price for the indoor one so that at least the guy isn't too much out of pocket but it depends if it is any value to you. You are quite entitled to refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

An outdoor socket at 120 is not bad value and certainly alot less that you would pay if you wanted it done later.

Just tell them it was a utility room socket you wanted and back it up.with any documentation you have to.prove that is what you requested.

You should end up with both the outdoor and utility socket for the 120 quid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Offer them 80 for it. That's cheap, and you'll probably be glad to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Buffman

So it's a new build. Have you done a snag list yet? Have you even raised this issue with the builder? Is that socket literally the only issue in the whole build? If so, that's a miracle.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

This! Get your snag list done & include the missed out utility socket on it. I'd say they probably just mixed up the houses as to who wanted what. If you really don't want the external socket, stick that on the snag too. Although you will kick yourself if you get it removed as they are very handy to have.

Do you have any written communication of the requested extra socket? An email or anything? Just in case they argue with the snag & you can show them that. If it was just a conversation, they may sort it or they might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep haggle over 120 euro and a socket. I bet he’ll charge you double that for your internal socket. What a first world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

OP - i understand your frustration.

If I were you I'd also be asking about an outdoor tap too. Very handy to have.

get the utility socket put in as well. Ignore the outdoor socket issue for the moment until the socket you want is installed. I do think you'll appreciate having it afterwards.

As others have said, there is a snag list to go through. Things will invariably need to be fixed later on afterwards. Its probably in your longer term best interest to be the nice buyer. They're more likely to fix stuff for you quickly then. 120eur for a socket may be a good investment.

People seem to have missed/ignored the op, the sale hasn’t closed yet, the op is still in a very good position to hold up the closure until both the socket, and the snag list are complete.

Advertisement