Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 - Round 16 - Singapore

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Very intelligent drive from Carlos, delighted for him.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not that bad a race in the end. I'm delighted for Carlos and Norris. If the Mercedes had not have fought each other they could have been first and second. Russel only cracked as Hamilton put him under too much pressure. Great recovery from Max in the end, almost 4th!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Carlos could very well to beat Leclerc 2 years out of 3 I'd say now. He beat him in 2021 and is 19 points clear now, and looking like the far smarter driver. I know ferrari have a lot put into Charles, but I hope they don't lose or drive Carlos away.

Great finish to race, I would have been gutted if either of the Mercs had won.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I hope people learn from this weekend that max is genuinely a very exceptional talent, so much so that he drove a misfunctioning car to fifth. Anyone else in a car that far away from its optimum setup would be made to look a lot worse than ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

apparently we re allowing criminals into our homes by streaming....

.....sky are seriously grasping with this one!

• Advertisement

Was this part of their coverage? Or just an ad that ran?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

• Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was mostly a very dull race but the last 10 laps were good.

Delighted for Carlos and Lando. Max and Red Bull will probably win the rest of the races now after this slump so you can be sure this race will be in pub quizs in the future.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 624 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

On the plus all that talk of an invincible season has been put to bed. Gets rid of that discussion point that commentators love to roll out every GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

At work today so went into radio silence until I could catch up with C4 Highlights. OK I do see that C4 skipped something like 8 laps at one stage but it looked like an enjoyable race overall. Worth noting that F1TV were all over Carlos's strategy by the time the radio message was played out for gaps every lap. Palmer knew Carlos was going to give Lando DRS

Carlos is still a McLaren driver at heart 😉. Note how long he was talking to Zak Brown in Parc Ferme.

I enjoyed that result. Great to get a break from the Dutch/Austrian anthems.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Make no mistake about it, Carlos wasn’t trying to do Lando a favour. Lando having DRS made it nearly impossible for the Mercs to pass him and Sainz had Lando well covered.

Ive seen people saying Sainz was doing his mate a solid but fact of the matter is it was nothing to do with Lando whatsoever.

It was a great strategy and saying he was helping Lando diminishes it. Keeping Lando in front of the Mercs was the only way Sainz was winning that race.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think it was mainly self interest but partly to help his former teammate. Either way a great tactic excellently executed.

Sainz would have deployed the same tactic no matter who was directly behind him if he knew he had the overtake actually covered.

People really are reaching for a story that just doesn’t exist. If Sainz had allowed Lando to be passed, then he was a sitting duck. His best way of avoiding the Mercs was to keep Lando in DRS. He deployed the tactic for him and him only and it was a masterclass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What a bloody race! Carlos Sainz, take a bloody bow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭McFly85

The ability to keep Lando within DRS to keep a buffer between him and Mercedes was masterful, really.

He doesn’t do that at Mercedes win that race, possibly end up as a 1-2.

He wasn’t trying to help anyone but himself, that it happened to be Lando is a happy accident! I do wonder if he would have been as confident to try that strategy had it been Max in P2 though😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Or Charles

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Actually, that was the strategy while Charles was in P2. Keep him close enough to lower Mercedes-Benz pace and stop them getting a free pitstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭bren2001

That was only on the basis that Charles wouldn't attack him.

Final 10 laps with Charles behind him? I doubt Sainz is able to employ the strategy he did with Lando. It only worked because he had the pace to cover Lando but wouldn't with Max, LeClerc or either of the Mercs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I wouldn't mind an off weekend for RB that often if this is what we get.

I do suspect, as do most, Suzuka will be a reality check for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I got the impression from extended highlights that he was pushing to try and catch Lando rather than to get away from Lewis behind. After he came out of the pits with his fresh mediums he asked if the gap was closable and his engineer told him to go for it. So he roasts the mediums in a few laps catching Lando and that was what cost him but I wasn't watching it live so maybe not.

Don't remember seeing this reported but Perez got a 5 second penalty and a penalty point for this dive bomb late in the race. He was 11 seconds ahead of Lawson so it doesn't affect the finish order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭bren2001

Hamilton attacked with just over a lap to go. Russell wasn't going to overtake Lando. He cracked partly due to the Hamilton pressure, partly due to pushing too much to catch Lando.

If the roles were reversed and Lewis was ahead of Russell, I reckon he would have won the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I do think Hamilton would have definitely caught Lando and maybe won. Pity he didn't try attack Russell earlier and go after Lando

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Absolute masterclass from Sainz... top drawer stuff. It was his call keeping Lando within 1 sec (DRS range ) so it would make in harder for the Mercs.

He was using Lando as an effective buffer to George and Lewis.

He was on the Radio saying something like > Team "..gap to Lando 0.8" Sainz " yeah its deliberate" Next level awareness from Carlos.

Charles was on the alternate strategy(>starting softs) covering safety car mashing the leaders strat, then was shagged when he had to be held for the double stacking Mercs... but this result is a step up for Carlos.

Lewis was having a major what if?!!... moment at race end...sitting on the digital pad waiting to be interviewed... +in the cool down room....thinking if he was behind Lando for the last 10 laps... would he have won?

------------------

He was maybe right to feel aggrieved, Got a tiny bit wide (slightly pushed by Russel on exit of first corner 1st lap, by then pulled usual Hamilton move, bailed on the corner, floored it and shortcut the corner, did go the right side of the escape route bollard... but definitely gained an advantage. Had to give the place back to Russel.. BUT LANDO AS WELL!!!!! why? he was well past Lando on the exit of turn one???!!! seems weird? Seems team told him to give 2 places back...! would have given Russel back and then waited to see if the stewards ruled against him, cant see why they would. His team should have looked at the video and decided.

If he did not give place to Lando back then it would have been different race.

I don’t think he would have, personally.

The mediums would have worn a bit so the 2sec delta needed to get the overtake done would have diminished slightly.

Staying in DRS helped Lando big time, and I think it would have been the same if Hamilton was chasing.

Very entertaining watching them hunt the top 3 down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No way Hamilton overtook Lando without needing to run off track. If he wasn't carrying so much speed into T1 he would have made T2 but would not have been in a position to overtake Lando

For example Max had to give a place back to Hamilton in Sakhir 2022 and he was much further ahead by the time he went over the white line on exit of T4 even though Hamilton used the same line repeatedly for on about 30 laps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement