Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 8 and 8 Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you order online, and choose to activate your plan later, presumably you can avoid the top-up fee (if using a sim from a different plan?). Am I missing a trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Probably my car that's the issue l, but can't seem to charge via cigarette lighter socket. Or it'll have the symbol, but doesn't actually do so. 4a was a bit hit and my miss on this front too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

What charger and cable are you using? I've an Aukey one it will fast charge but even with the official pixel cable it's temperamental and will only work with the cable in one orientation.

I'd recommend getting Anker one and their cable, have been meaning to swap to one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm in the states at the moment and can get a Pixel 8 Pro unlocked from Best Buy for €540. Any issues with using a US phone at home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭pandabat

You'd need to check that the supported network bands match those that you want to use here - in the "olden" days, US handsets sometimes had different bands supported to match the network implementations over there but I don't know if that's the case any more and if they just make a single, global handset.

Firmwares did also used to be regionalised so certain features might be region locked but again not sure that that's as much of a thing these days.

Your other concern may be warranty support. Warranty may only apply in country of purchase.

Otherwise seems like a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Is anybody seeeing connectivity issues on Eir? I can have phone here beside me in the office showing full signal and calls go straight to voicemail. If I toggle airplane mode to disconnevt and reconnect to the network it will work but could drop off again a few hours later even though it shows signal strength. I've switched from 5G to LTE and problem remains. Called Eir but they want me to go to a store and have them carry out a "SIM swap and handset test" but as its intermittent I thought I'd ask here bfore taking a few hours to go to a store and do that.

Thanks

Not noticed anything on GoMo (which is basically Eir) but don't get or make a lot of calls. SIMs can get old/faulty so no harm in doing what they suggest anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Anyone had issues connecting their phone to car bluetooth system for media playing?

I had the same issue with a previous phone (huawei p30 pro) but my last phone (samsung s20FE) worked perfectly with my car.

Got a pixel 8 on wedesnday and finally tried to connect it to the car and while the phone calls work, if I try and play a podcast or an audiobook, it just hangs? I've tried a few things already but can see myself sending the phone back if I can't crack this now that I know samsung devices seems to have no issues with this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yeah, a lot of people are having issues. It seems the 8 and the pro are notorious for being unwilling to connect to Bluetooth devices.

• Advertisement

Appreciate the quick response! I've been googling a while now and it does seem particularly widespread. Think I may have to go back to the samsungs, I use this feature a bit too much to suffer without it.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Haven't had any issues with my bluetooth to the car or other devices at all

It seems to happen a lot with older car kits or pre 2017 on board Bluetooth. There are a few workarounds in the dev menu, accepting connections to mac addresses or disabling absolute volume, but they aren't working for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Dozz

Anyone experiencing Bluetooth connectivity issues with earbuds etc??

To be fair, that sounds right, my car is a 2014 and on board bluetooth hasn't been touched.

But I did try to get it connected with a bunch of options in the dev menu and no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I bought the Pixel 8 Pro in the states, working fine on a Vodafone SIM, fyi.

Any case recommendations? I like the look of the official Bay coloured case as the phone I got is black, bit of a change after the Kinda Coral of the 6.

Thanks!

In a similar vein as above, I bought a case for the pixel 8 but am now swapping the phone if anyone wants the case?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CJ9QPJ9T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details <- that's the case I bought

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I bought a Mous case and it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Hi are you selling it, is it for the 8 or 8 pro?

Its no use to me so you can have it, it's for the 8, as far as I know. Its still in the box as it arrived after I sent my one back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Thanks but have the 8 Pro, I'm sure someone will take you up on your generous offer however!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Can anyone tell me if Gemini nano available for the pixel 8 pro in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

+1. It's not cheap but is incredibly well built, some warning though it also adds a fair bit of weight to the package if that bothers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Are there any issues using a Pixel 8 phone, bought from Spain, in Ireland? Amazon.es have the Pixel 8 for €544 plus delivery. Seems like a great deal.

I assume worst case I have to change the language to English, it should work fine with mobile networks here though right?

Thanks

It's the same SKU as what is sold here. You'll be able to select your language while setting up the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭wassie

Also should have full 2 year manufacturer warranty being an EU phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Just purchased an 8 pro

Pixel watch 2

Both in Bay

Beautiful looking pieces,

Went from apple 14 pro max

Another lovely phone but just tired of it,

Find the pixel responsive and interesting,

Apple 🍎 is bland in comparison,

Heated up slightly during set up etc

But grand now,

Had the pixel pro 7

This I feel is a definite improvement,

Love the fact that the pixel watch 2 has a much better battery life,

Think the oh nes improved slightly also

May be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Has anyone experienced problems with notifications on the Pixel 8? My notifications are very sketchy...I never get any Gmail notifications, either a notification sound or a notification icon in the top of the screen, or the little dot on the gmail shortcut icon. Whatsapp notifications are mixed, I get a notification sound about half the time, I get the dot on the shortcut icon, but I only get the Whatsapp icon on the top of the screen if I unlock the phone, on the lock screen there is no notification, then I unlock and the icon appears on the top. SMS messages seem to give all notifications, Revolut is maybe 60% of the time I get an audio notification, but always get the icon in the top of the screen. I have been through all the app settings and notification settings.

It is a real pain for Whatsapp because I have to unlock the phone every time to see if I have messages. I got on to Google support and they gave me a few basic things to try but none of them worked, they also suggested a factory reset which I am reluctant to do after just setting up the phone for banking apps (will I have to set them up again or is the phone now 'associated' with the account, eg: Bank of Ireland app, if I reset the phone and reinstall the app will it recognize the phone or do I have to go back to BOI to register the phone I wonder?).

/Edit: the Google support guy hinted I could get a replacement under warranty if none of the fixes worked, I assume I would have to return my phone first before they send out a replacement. Anyone ever done this? how long were you left without a phone waiting for a replacement? Not sure it would be worth it in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Wifi Calling now available on P8P with March Update on Eir and Gomo.

• Advertisement

Interesting - how are these billed or are they covered under the normal monthly plan in the case of GoMo?

Advertisement