Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dav09

I 100% agree @drunkmonkey

As for Fallout Boy, in fairness they did play as a triple headliner, I reckon more of a 3 Arena level act if they played standalone, would probably still sub/headline EP. Them and Weezer (less so) I enjoyed as a teenager but sorta grew out of, didn't expect much but I was honestly happily surprised both were good. Particularly Fallout boy, would happily attend at EP, but agree re: TV Girl. I've barely heard of them and dont think are at sub headliner level despite good streaming numbers, find a lot of their songs difficult to differentiate from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm hoping with the earlier dates of EP that they get Boris Brejcha for a Terminus headliner rather than one of the US festivals like Electric Forest, he's a man not to miss, crisp productions and spot on the beat.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I hadn't heard of TV Girl until this thread.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭rubick

It's just dawned on me that TV Girl played ATN last year. Didn't stay for their whole set due to a clash but they were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dav09

I can't say I'm familiar but sounds excellent in fairness, could definitely imagine that at terminus and something I'd I enjoy, although not sure if it's generic enough based on recent bookings haha, although they've had a few good ones over the years. Also that venue looks absolutely fantastic.

• Advertisement

Actually this could be a possibility seeing that he's touring Europe side during August, he's playing a festival in Cannes, France on 16th and is free for the next six days until another gig in France on 23rd. Do you reckon he's a possibility @Fanirish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Fanirish

why do keep sending me messages or tagging me in random posts about who May or may not be playing. I said who I know and speculated on a bunch of others around in august

Can anyone remember an act that played at Electric Picnic 2008, Helios Jive, a US act who played in the Body & Soul Village, I thought they were amazing, would love to see them again, a kind of jazz and funk psychedelic act.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭darzog

To me, festivals are sheer escapism. A mad, Shangri-La that pops up so many times a summer where anything goes (within accepted and agreed parameters according to the terms of entry) and a big part of the fun is the build-up to that. That includes a bit of the old mad speculation as to who might play, who we would like to see appear and who we wouldn’t cross the road to see. All innocent fun. Hurting no-one. 

That is what it used to be like here. 

We playfully bandied about the R-word every year as a possible headliner, despite knowing deep down it wasn’t really going to happen. Gently ribbing bodhrandude about the possibility of an appearance by Aphex Twin was a national pastime. Harmless. 

None of us here are rubes or newbs. We’re all of a certain age, all sound festival-heads, have lived a life and aren’t wildly naive about festival bookings or how tricky it must be to knit a bill together from many disparate strands.

However…in recent times, the joy seems to have been sucked right out of that on here. It seems like every suggestion now seems to be met with a takedown or rebuttal. I have no wish to single any individual out, but I think that some have painted themselves into a corner by feeling that they simply MUST comment on every single suggestion made here, be they sensible or fantastical. You don’t. You really don’t. We get it. Different promoters, unsold tickets at already announced dates, pulling power, Spotify streams etc. 

This thread is a bit of light diversion. Each post a tiny ray of dappled sunshine in the build up to a happy time in a happy place. I implore that these delicate rays be not dampened by the presence of anyone who, by dint of having a little more insight into the workings of the industry, unleashes the little black rain clouds of doom. We only get so many trips around the sun and we only have so many of these mad weekends left in us…so is it too much to ask that we be allowed to be kids in the playground again. 20 of us chasing the same ball at the same time. So what if we never got a kick. We were having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Unfair post especially considering your constant input on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭endainoz

As usual it's their terrible attitude that always let's them down. People on this forum are generally very approachable hardcore music fans with whom they could have had proper engaging conversations about music with but instead almost all of their posts come across as condescending to the other users on this forum. I miss the old days tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Yet posters still excuse his/her behaviour! What's worse than a spoofer is an angry spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Yeah a lot of it does sound a bit samey, especially on a first pass. They've had a weird trajectory. Seems like their debut album from 2014 and followup in 2016 (which were a bit more pop-sounding) had a few songs that blew up on TikTok in the past year or two, after years of languishing at a sustainable low-level of popularity. When I saw them, almost the entire set was from those two albums, and there was nothing at all from their two most recent albums. The crowd skewed very young too, and it was clear which bits were the Tiktok bits just based on the crowd suddenly turning on when they happened. They don't appear to love the retroactive attention though and rather than try to capitalise and make more music like the old stuff, their only album since then is a weird gospel-fusion album that sounds like it was designed to not have any catchy segments that would go viral on Tik Tok.

Similar thing happened to Steve Lacy a while back where his song Dark Red attracted a lot of teens on Tik Tok who then didn't have much interest in the rest of the catalogue and he didn't love that either. Their streaming numbers are pretty good on the surface but if you look at them a bit more closely, they have about 6 songs that get a lot of listens and then there's a big drop off after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,129 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

When he played in jerryfish tent, yea it was techno but he put in the likes of Nirvana and Pearl Jam, very varied set, kinda had to be with the crowd he got, pale fans not wanting to brave the rain and other lost souls looking for shelter...we didn't go to see him just stumbled upon him, hadn't heard of him until then.

Hannah Laing and BLK. were another stumble upon last year, both of them might graduate stages. I think she was clashing with the wolf tones and still rammed the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Oh I'll drink to that, darzog. Beautifully put.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’d love to be able to write like that 😊

Someone should book Shanin Blake, think she'd be a good fit to keep the good old boys entertained while chilling at the body & soul stage.... serious psychedelic vibes off her...she got an apology off a chap on X this week for saying she was carrying fake milkers ...very funny worth checking out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I vote that @darzog open the Salty Dog stage with some words of inspiration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Wooderson

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jay2023

No prodigy at EP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

thats a shame, would have been a nice addition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I went looking, and it looks like she has deleted her Twitter?

Edit: scratch that my spelling was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

If we're not getting The Prodigy I'd love to see Pendulum again to get my Voodoo People fix.

Wouldn't mind them either, they were great at RockNess festival in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Check out @daltonleepruitt apology about 2 days ago🥲 to her...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

I saw them at Oxegen. Went to Coldplay with my friends but got a bit bored, so I headed off to the 2nd stage. Turned out to be a great decision. Just listened to their 'Like a Version' cover of Anti-Hero. They'd be lively anyway!

• Advertisement

BC Camplight added to the Manchester Psych Fest lineup. I know Dreamweapon will tell me this is but a pale reflection of lineups past but I'd take the whole lot of these in a heartbeat.

Advertisement