Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does anybody has a hybrid or electric in the countryside?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

the standing charge is but the car doesn't care

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭UnhappyCustomer

I got quoted €1500 for the same company who will install the panels. Do you reckon is a fair price or should I go somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Before the grant, after the grant would be €700

You mean €900 right? 😉

Did they mention the brand of EV charger?

Seems reasonable enough for one that can divert solar, a Zappi by itself costs around €975 including VAT. I don't think any of its competitors are significantly cheaper

Depending on the complexity, €500 for installation seems around the ballpark of what you'd expect

I'll let others comment though, it's been 3 years since I got my Zappi installed

I'd also recommend getting the tethered option with a built in cable. It's only €25 extra and it makes plugging in a bit quicker, which is very useful in the rains we've been getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭allinthehead

It's about right, every installation is different, some more difficult than others. You could probably get it down by about 100 euro as some installers have a fixed price. I'm also assuming that this quote is for a Zappi or equivalent.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Not true, price per Kwh is exactly the same, standing charge slightly more expensive.

OP don't discount the Ioniq 38Kwh version (arrived in 2019), would handle your usage even in the depths of winter without breaking a sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Two of my sister's commute in a Kona from Kildare to Sandyford, 120km trip. Absolutely zero issue.

Sure if you have a driveway the car will be at 80% every morning when you plug it in as you get home. Timed charging for night rates. Car nice and toasty or air conditioned for the morning...

Yeah, that's true, sorry for the brain fart 🤣

I think they offer any of these models within that price:

If you'd negotiated them down to €700 then I'd be asking you to renegotiate my mortgage next 😁

Zappi is one of the most popular brands in Ireland, and is pretty well supported, so it should suit your setup

I assume you don't have 3 phase so you can discount the 22kW models

The only difference then is whether you get a tethered or untethered model and the colour (black or white)

Personally I'd go for the tethered, but the untethered model might look neater if the charger is somewhere visible

• Advertisement

I wish I had that negotiation power 😂

What made you discard the 3 phase and what would be the difference?

If you don't have 3 phase power to your house then there's no point in getting a 3 phase charger, it's wasted money

Even if you do, there's a limited number of cars that can use it. The only ones I know off the top of my head are:

Renault Zoe

Nissan Ariya

Tesla Model S (as an option)

Most EVs will charge at 7kW regardless of single or 3 phase. They basically just don't use the other two phases

Some newer ones will charge faster on 3 phase, for example the ID.4 will charge at 11kW on 3 phase or 7kW on single phase

For home charging the extra charging speed might not matter. Taking an ID.4 as an example, charging at 11kW from 0-100% will take 7 hours, as opposed to 11 hours at 7kW

Those both fit into the night rate period (for now) so it doesn't make a difference

The potential elephant in the room are smart EV plans which offer 3-4 hours of EV charging. Having 3 phase would give you 50% more range, but it's likely you don't need it and it's not worth the expense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Pretty much all new EVs charge at 11kw on 3phase power. Can't think of one that doesn't, maybe the Leaf?

But like you said doesn't make much difference if your car is charged at 3am or 5am when you don't need it until 7 and very few if anyone has 3phase power at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Also running an EV in the N.I sticks for 10 years,,but perhaps, a wee problem coming over the horizon.

Two weeks back Sam Mc bride,editor of Belfasr telegraph ran a story and spoke at length on Nolan.

It would seem that Kilroot power station,will shut down end of this September, coal burning being now illegal.

The gas turbines,due to seamlessly replace coal,may not now be available to do so until next March.

Sam pointed out the if one of the two remaining plants develops a fault, we could see some rationing brought in this winter.

It would also seem that to bring in power from elsewhwould be too expensive.

I think the OP was considering an Ioniq which only charges at single phase AFAIK

I could have my threads mixed up though 😅

I think the only time 3 phase is going to make a difference is charging on an EV tariff where you get 4 hours of cheap electricity

But the costs for getting 3 phase run into the thousands, so unless you're running some machinery which needs it then it's not worthwhile

Most likely I will get a Kona, unless there is a weird change in the market.

You mentioned the tethered version. I understand this is the one with the cable hanging, what happens if the cable is faulty? Can you use another one? Is the tethered version coming with the plug and the cable?

Tethered means there's a cable built into the charger (hardwired)

Untethered, there's a Type 2 port on the charger and you bring your own cable

Pretty much every public AC charger is untethered

The advantage of tethered is it's easier to plug in. You don't have to get the cable from the boot and plug both ends in

This can be pretty crucial if it's raining heavily

Since you're getting solar, you'll basically get into the habit of plugging the car in whenever you get home in case there's power to divert

A lot of them including the Zappi have a built in cable holder. With the Zappi you just wind the cable around the outside and plug the end into the holder. You can also just get a hook from B&Q if there's no holder

I'll confess I often don't bother if I'm going out for a short trip, just put the plug in the holder (it's weatherproof) and leave the wire trailing like a slob 😁

Some manufacturers will offer a replacement cable if yours gets damaged, although it's pretty rare. I know that people have gotten replacement cables from MyEnergi and any electrician can fit them

I think in some cases MyEnergi would pay for the electrician if you provided an invoice, but if you're getting yours through an installer then you'd probably want to go to them first

Cheers, I've ordered a tethered zappi already. Coming back to the car choice, do you think an ID3 58 kWh should be able to cover the distance mentioned in the OP? I was originally thinking of the Kona because of the range and the boot space but the ID3 has more "litters" of boot space and it looks like a way nicer car to drive

If I remember correctly we're talking about roughly 160km round trip?

ID.3 58kWh should handle that with ease

Check the owners thread, I think a few people have moved from the Kona to an ID.3 and can probably give you a better comparison than me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yep. I have the bigger battery one but 160 km would be easy peasy year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Notice Lidl have type two charge cables in this week £129.

Advertisement