Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When did you last encounter a Garda checkpoint?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Covid, and I drive a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Last time, last year, was in a small country road returning from a car show, in my classic car. He carefully inspected my disks and then gives me a grilling about where I'm going, is the car yours etc. Very strange. Before that covid, and before that maybe 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Once during Covid, before that must be at least 6-7 years ago. Drive close to 400km yesterday and not a single squad car or noticeable unmarked car on the roads at all considering it was national slow down day

Post edited by morritty on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Must remember to bring the wife and kids next time I go drink-driving

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Back in May, on a slip road off the M4, about 10.30 am.

Looked at all discs and asked to see licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

Last week in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Eldudeson

I've been working in the same area for the last 25 years. I live 20km away from there in the commuter belt. That adds up to over 230000 km over the 25 years. Never once been through a checkpoint on that commute which includes huge volumes of. There's regular speed vans over the last 2 years on the Dunboyne ring road (once or twice a week at this stage), but never a stop for tax/insurance/diesel etc..

Also, in that time I've been breathalysed three times. Twice on the way to the pub when the checkpoint wasn't there on the way home (in a taxi!).

There's no issue with the current laws on our roads. There's a massive issue with enforcement of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Mid 2020 during covid

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

encountered, or be stopped at? i've driven through a few where they glance at your reg and maybe throw an eye over your tax/insurance discs, but i don't recall ever having to produce my licence. the only extended chats i've had was during covid, my wife was an essential worker and doesn't drive, but once we produced the paperwork we were waved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

Last time for myself was the Monday of the August bank holiday, my friend was breathalysed yesterday morning at 11am at a checkpoint close by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's been a while. Plenty during covid but it was years before that and I suppose now a few years after covid. So, basically none in 6-7 years apart from covid ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

They have checkpoints on the main road at the bottom of our road at least 2 or 3 times a year, the last time I was actually stopped at one of these was about 15 years ago and I was breathalysed. (usually cursory check tax/insurance disc and wave through)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Drive for a living and I've seen about a dozen in the last 20 years. Only stopped twice in that time for licence etc...and never been breathilised once.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Last Sunday. Looked at the windscreen and away.

Before that, about 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have been stopped about once every 8 years. Once I was stopped and Garda said my tax was out by a year. I had not noticed myself. I asked him to check if it had been paid, which it had and I eventually found the letter at home from renewing online.

Other times asked for licence, didn't have it, ok no problem, away with you ..

I used to drive in all 32 counties regularly and rarely even saw a squad car let alone stopping anyone.

I did get stopped the day of the blue flu, after doing a hand brake turn in a wet car park. "Gardai" in the car were all around 17 years old with no power to arrest. (Out in a day trip from templemore) Asked for licence and said away with you.

It is a joke here, and Irish people seem to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

16th July last. Sunday morning around 0915. Alcohol checkpoint on Lower Kimmage Road at the entrance to Mount Argus. I was cycling so was waved through.

Previous to that it would have been during Covid restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

The reason there is an issue with enforcement is there are so many issues with enforcement. Ever read any of the court cases where the State is taken to court by a motorist ? The Gardai involved have so many hoops to jump through if a motorist challenges a determination that it is no surprise that rank and file Gardai don’t bother in a lot of cases .

The whole Breath Alcohol Testing regime since Shane Ross modified the law is fundamentally unsound so much so that it is surprising that the Gardai themselves don’t look for it to be rewritten

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Here in Loughlinstown 12 years and only stopped during COVID, guards had a semi permanent checkpoint during the 5Km madness on the road near our house.

Funny enough when I lived in Annamoe in Wicklow previously I regularly encountered breathalyzer checkpoints on the way to work in the mornings despite the roads being quiet as feck, I think the local Gardai didn't have much else to do.

When'dya last have a drink sir? Dreamed Walter Mitty style of saying sure i only lashed them into me last night and a few more this morning as i wasn't feeling the best..just kidding haha..never did though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Passed one on Sunday just past Baldonnel on the Outer Ring Road. First one I've seen in a long time. There's been a serious lack of them in the last 12 months in my usual driving.

Advertisement