Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When did you last encounter a Garda checkpoint?

Options
  • 03-09-2023 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭

I met one tonight previous to this it would have been May 22.

When did you last encounter a Garda checkpoint?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yesterday, and a few more in the previous 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Today as well...definitely a few years since I remember.

Passing glance at tax disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Today at Dublin Airport, the exit ramp from T1 departures , several cars pulled in , go choice , zero escape !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

At the start of the first lockdown was the last time i encountered a check point and I drive for a living. On the streets of Dublin 40 hours a week and see feck all road police

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭bigroad

The Government want them out at the moment because of the recent road death's.

When the media go quiet the checkpoints will disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Friday evening, breathalyzing, around 8 pm, I think just to catch the few guys popping in a few after work, did not bother with me I believe because of wife and kids, did strain himself to look at the tax disc.

It was covid last time I was stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Damien360

Not enough breathalyser or drug test checkpoints. I cover the country driving 50k Kms a year on average over 25 years, albeit during work commute hours and I have been breathalysed once in all that time. The road tax checkpoints could be solved with a mobile registration scanner. They don't count as you are just waved through. It would be a pain in the ass to be stopped for drug and alcohol test but I think most reasonable people would put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BagofWeed

A week ago and the week before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

Drug driving is as common as drink driving in 1970’s but the chances of getting a random test appears to be tiny. Like other posters never see checkpoints and never been bagged or drug testing with close on a million km driven. Not doubt to reduce road deaths we will see more speed vans in the M7/M8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BagofWeed

No, Thankfully. I'm fairly cautious with it. Always be prepared. 😁 Was just after a long 5km walk so was fresh and alert.👉️ 👈️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Couldn't put a date on it, but not long. I occasionally see them on the outbound side of the R448 checking traffic leaving Waterford in the morning, but I'm going inbound at the time and they're not checking that side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A few months ago and before that was 2020, during the first of the COVID lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Only once in approx 10 years and that was a Covid checkpoint in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

During last COVID movement restrictions where you could only move 6.78k from your house unless you were buying bread and milk 😁. Must have been stopped 10 times or more during all that, I laugh at it now how outright stupid it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭User1998

Went through one in Dublin city centre a few weeks ago. Mistakenly had my old and expired insurance disc in the window. He glanced at all three discs and let me through without even noticing it.

Before that it was during Covid checking 5km distance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

During covid every day. Same spot, same guard, on the way to work

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A Covid stop maybe in 2020 when we were still limited to 5km or something… prior to that maybe 4-5 years earlier..

Current car has 83,000km on it and only ever seen 1 checkpoint (covid one above)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,759 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Several weeks ago, late one Saturday night, when little sister rings me at 2am for a lift home, met checkpoint, breathalyzing, I said I don't drink, rookie female cop, looked too short to be a cop, uniform looked baggy, again I said I don't drink, she said you have nothing to worry about then. Me , okay then, she then said '' place this into your mouth and keep blowing until I tell you to stop'' which I did, while thinking to myself, if I said those words to her I'd be arrested.

Of course it came back 0, like I said , I don't drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

That's called a mandatory alcohol testing checkpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Around six months ago, late at night, at the top of a motorway off-ramp. They glanced at the tax and NCT discs. NCT was a few months out of date, so he asked me for proof of a booking, and then just waved me on before bothering to look at it. Still hasn’t been tested. Waiting til the full 12 months have elapsed now so I can get a free year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You make it sound like you're surprised that she didn't believe you, a random stranger, first time about not drinking. I assume people have also told her that I don't take drugs, I don't rob stuff, I don't murder people and for some reason she probably doesn't believe them first time either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Got asked for my licence last June in Sligo. Told the Garda he "broke my duck". I've been driving since 1978 & this was the first time I was asked for my licence. We both laughed. He then said he was going to breathalyse me which was also a first. We had a good laugh over it.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Maybe 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭csirl

About 18mths ago - on the quays in Dublin, late afternoon on a Monday on a stretch near Heuston heading out of the city. Was a random breath test one requirung multiple cars to stop to stop to take the test - so it caused absolute mayhem with the rush hour traffic. Wouldnt imagine that many office/retail workers commuting home on a Monday would be tanked up on pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Well if they didn't breathalyze you based on your word it'd be fairly pointless stopping anyone, are they supposed to say grand so carry on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

I drove from kilkenny to westport and back over the weekend covering approx 600Kms. Side roads, main roads, back roads, motorways, dirt tracks and the one and only Garda car I saw was parked outside a Garda station.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

• Registered Users Posts: 35,759 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ha, I only said it in passing, not to object, it was just small talk, I had no objection what so ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Sometime during the first lockdown in 2020. Nothing since then.

The last slow down day, I'd done about 500kms and never came across a single speed van or checkpoint

Advertisement