Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Will that's untrue.

Why have Sky not got under already, and have in fact renewed their deal?

Anyone who wants IPTV in Ireland can get it. A lot of people don't want IPTV and will just subscribe.

Sky are happy with that. Shutting down IPTV won't help Sky massively, as most of they people that use IPTV wouldn't pay the Sky lettuce prices anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone paying for sky sports, TNT etc are simply paying the wages for overpaid millionaire footballers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Your not. Your paying the wages of lots of players all of whom are not overpaid soccer players e.g rugby players and the grassroots league clubs.

I don't get the argument that people won't pay sky prices if IPTV goes away. Who is to say the might subscribe to now tv all the time or even the weekend etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The latest rights deal shows that illegal streaming is not as big a deal as many think.

The growth of Now TV has helped that.

How much money does sky give to rugby and grassroots sports compared with football?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter how much. Not all the money goes to footballers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

But it filters down to all the clubs. Say man city buy a young player from a championsbip club with this TV money. That championship club goes out and buys a player from a league 1 or 2 club.

Piracy costs sky and BT money regardless of where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

But there's agent's and various other bloodsuckers getting a good chunk before it filters down to ordinary clubs. Before the premier league came along money was distributed far more fairly.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭laoismanj

My firestick is great, i even downloaded an ad free youtube, sky got away with it long enough. Crime...yeah sure, turn yourself into a garda station and tell them you have a firestick, give them a good laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jj880

Reception garda at next Christmas party: "And then he said: Ive got IPTV!"

Irrelevant! Sky are paying record money for premier league football, basically competing against themselves all the while increasing the price of their product every year for customers so no I won't be paying Anthony Martial's wages.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I am beginning to think my household is very odd indeed.

I have considered IPTV via 'dodgy' provider, but we have little to no interest in soccer. We have not subscribed to Sky for decades. Heck it might have been analogue back then. 😁

Reading this thread one might get the impression there is nothing other than sports for which Sky has the rights, on these IPTV services.

Is there no other reason than sport to consider one of these IPTV services?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Adult, Sport & Movies tbh.

Watching the likes of Napoleon under the yearly sub to IPTV is going to appeal to a lot instead of paying Sky 22 quid

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭Homer

Sure the cost of one PPV UFC fight is about €50-60 which is roughly the cost of a 1 year subscription to most IPTV services 💁🏻‍♂️😁

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭animalinside

They likely wouldn't laugh at all. There's a high chance you'd be arrested.

It'd be like going into a garda station and saying you break the local speed limit close to your home every day and you intend to continue doing so - it's not a big crime, but it's still illegal.

Just like people who speed they take a few examples of people who are caught breaking the rules, usually the more egregious ones, just like speed cameras being put in dangerous patches.

What's funny? What's the big laughter about? Stop as it's obnoxious.

I continue to have IPTV and will likely be keeping it until they clamp down on it, just as they did with multiple generations of descrambling and cardsharing services in the past. Some people got this idea that it wouldn't happen then as well and it will. I also pay for legitimate streaming services, but not Sky right now as I'm not well-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rodders999

Lets just say, hypothetically speaking of course, I had one of those Firesticks with IPTV and also had a VPN (express VPN).

But the only way I could get this hypothetical set up to work would be to turn off the VPN as for some reason no channel would load with it on.

Could this be problematic to me with my ISP or in any other way (in this hypothetical situation of course 😉).

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭animalinside

I'm not "all over the shop" at all.

Where did I say you personally should subscribe to Sky and not use IPTV or you're a terrible criminal? Show where I said anything like this.

What I said is that there will likely always be a way to get it but there won't be free pirate tv of everything forever for everyone.

Then I added as an additional remark that it's probably a good thing due to for example HBO shows like The Sopranos or Game of Thrones not existing in the future if everyone just used pirated tv.

Show where I said we should subscribe to help pay the wages of players making $5 million a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its impossible for sky or any entity to stop IPTV. As others have said most streams are outside of the EU. Thats one problem for them.

Another major issue is VPNs. Slap one on your firestick and good night.

Technically its nearly impossible for them to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I think iptv will be like limewire and Kazaa. No way of stopping them so the industry will need to adjust. (e.g Spotify)

Seems every 2nd house has a iptv subscription . With the offerings from sky stream, Vodafone play and eir tv being so poor it’s not surprising people will look elsewhere when you need to pay on average and extra 20 a month and you can’t even record most channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

The problem with some illegal IPTV providers is that (some of them at least) are not increasing their capacity to stream live events efficiently.

As more and more folks do sign up to illegal IPTV services, their inability to offer a stable stream when demand is high is showing. Folks need to be aware that it's not just ISP's throttling or blocking certain streams, certain providers are not resourcing their systems to feed multiple streams. I think in time this will lead to problems for those illegal IPTV providers as folks will go with the providers that are the most reliable, but that will also eventually lead to problems with the ones that are (for now) reliable.

It's hit and miss with some of these providers, their true worth only becomes evident when their systems are faced with high demand streaming events.

Depends on your provider. We use the music channels a fair bit. Now 70s, 80s and 90s are a treat. Was great for the Christmas tunes.

Its a massive amount of channels. A section for each country. My son wants Ronaldo matches so we get them in the Saudi Arabia section.

The 5 days of catch up is so handy. We used it only the other day to watch Mr Bates vs The Post Office The Real Story. An amazing 1 hour special with Postmaster interviews we missed on ITV1.

Sky does have vast sports coverage: Sky Football, Sky Darts, Sky F1, Sky Golf, Sky Cricket sections etc. but there is a lot it doesn't cover. IPTV has Saturday 3pm matches and every other match that might be showing elsewhere on TNT (formerly BT Sports). Then you have the PPV Box Office UFC and boxing events. GAAGO is on there too since RTE and the GAA got together and started gouging for a lot of the best big hurling and football matches.

I could go on all night. The point is you miss nothing and I mean nothing. You hear about a big sporting event, movie, tv show or something smaller that may be region locked you dont even have to think about it or go trying to find out if you have Paramount+ or hulu or a DAZN sub or how to get it. Its sorted, you already have it and its all centralised in 1 TV app and 1 mobile app. No messing.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Based on the last EPL rights sale a month ago illegal IPTV is not as threatening to the broadcasters as people think.

Sky and TNT didn't overpay for the rights but they certainly didn't go to the EPL and say that they were slashing their bids because they are losing out to illegal streaming either.

And you would think based off that IPTV is safe for the moment. I can't see any of the rights holders trying to tackle the user of IPTV in any meaningful way until it start having a significant impact on their bottom line.

They will have done all of calculations and factored into the results that the vast majority or IPTV users wouldn't pay for content even if they were no longer able to stream it.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

Really? So somebody that currently gets all the football they can dream of on IPTV, would never buy a legal subscription should iptv be closed down for good in the morning?

They would just stop watching football?

Absolutely. It would go back to the days when I was younger the auld lad brought us to the pub a couple of times a month as a treat and we'd watch a match like super sunday or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Its exactly what I'd do. The local bar would get my money rather than Sky.

I watch some games now only because I have the channels. If I didn't have them id just miss them. And the few games a month that I really want to watch would be watched in the pub.

Advertisement