Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxi Ev Grant, non taxi driver

Options
  • 28-08-2023 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi in theory can one get a taxi license and get an EV under the Taxi EV grant scheme.

Would not be using it as a taxi just using the loophole to get a Highly priced EV for cheaper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭SteM

I thought you had to have a taxi license for x amount of years before you apply for the that scheme? That's what the taxi driver living across the road told me anyway, I think he said something like 15 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭User1998

No. There are no taxi plates available. You can only get a wheelchair taxi. If you want to drive anything else you have to rent the car from someone who has a taxi plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dubwat

You don't get the grant money until the EV is passed out as a taxi. Then it has to be registered as a taxi for 3 years or the NTA will ask for the grant money back.

T&C's --> https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi/forms-and-guides/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

You would need the licence, the vehicle certified to be a taxi with taxi meter and to have it registered as a taxi for 3 years before you can sell it. Maybe if you already had a taxi and needed an extra car it might make sense. I know some individuals have multiple cars, minibus etc depending on the trip. Many do school bus type runs.

Certainly it may mean lots of high mileage ex taxis cheap in a few years. They seem very popular in Dublin and around the airport.

And some not so high mileage. Our ID4 and eNiros have less than 40k im on them. 2021 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 New2023member

So i cant apply for a new or first spsv licence and then buy a car via espsv grant.

The website taxidriver.ie says you can apply for a taxi driver.

How to become a Taxi, Hackney and Limousine Driver – Get your SPSV Driver Licence

( TaxiDriver.ie )

An SPSV driver licence permits a driver to operate all categories of SPSV – taxi, hackney, and limousine.

Applicant Requirements:

SPSV driver licences to drive taxis, hackneys and limousines are granted to people:

1. who have a pass certificate from
    2. whose tax affairs are up to date
    3. who have held an Irish driving licence or a driving licence from another EU, EEA or other recognised state for at least 12 months, without endorsement
    4. who are confirmed by An Garda Síochána to be suitable persons to hold SPSV driver licences after a vetting process

Perfect iv no problem keeping it as a taxi for 3 years if i can get the taxi grant. Its a win win, surely loads of people are doing this.

• Advertisement

You need to apply and pass the SPSV test. That’s the easy bit. Just takes a bit of time after Garda vetting.

Then buy a taxi plate. All new taxi plates are wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAV). So you’d have to buy the EV, then make the conversion for it to be WAV accepted.

You’ll spend more money than you’ll save. The grant for a WAV is €12500.

then you’re into the world of PSV insurance, which will be €2500. It nearly a set rate for new entrants. It’s a commercial policy so the benefits of a private policy are gone. Branding on the car, internal for our for contact payments etc as part of the suitability test. The conversion to WAV and taxi use will mean you’ll loose more than you saved on resale value too.

If you were a taxi driver with an old high mileage car it is a great scheme

Just wish the grants were more generous to the general public. Dont know how anyone on the average industrial wage with mortgage wife and kids can afford to buy a new ID4.

I know. I bought 5 in 2021 for family. Great grant and rightly so to enhance the change over.

People don’t need an ID4, MG can be got for less, a lot less and in some ways are better than the ID4!

Wow that's unreal, how did you get 5 for family. Where they all taxis like or what way did you work it. Ya looking at MG long range models.

Because they are all in different names. But the limit is 10 per person in any 3 year period.

They are all working taxis. Scrapped older Camry, Prius etc

How much is the saving if your were to buy it privately vs buying it and setting it up as a taxi and getting the grant etc. Also as taxi drivers ar self employed would they be able to offset any moneys paid toward the purchase on their annual tax bill

Thanks

capital allowances spread over 8 years. You have to do returns for earnings every year just like any other business.

Car savings are mega. Had eNiro (3x) on the road for €17k. MG for €10,400. ID4 for just under €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Just wish the grants were more generous to the general public.

Need to kick the bus loving greens out at the next election for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2 michaeljohnbelta

While it might be possible to obtain a taxi license and benefit from the Taxi EV grant scheme, solely for the purpose of acquiring a highly priced EV at a reduced cost, it's important to consider the spotify legal and ethical implications. These grants are usually designed to promote the adoption of electric vehicles for their intended purpose, which is serving as environmentally friendly taxis.

• Advertisement

Thanks, if i got the same ev grant i wouldn't need to get a ev taxi to pick me up and drop me off. I dont trust that anything the quack government does is ethical. If there is loophole to be had il be using it.

Good man/woman. No financial adviser could give you as good an example of making your money work for you as you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭pgj2015

2,500 for insurance? I doubt it, more like 6,000 or 7,000 unless it has dropped a lot in the last few years for new entrants.

not easy to pass the entry test, takes a lot of study.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Id say you would have to actually work as a taxi driver as well, you would likely have to show income from operating as a taxi, if you couldnt show this you would be found out and then its fraud really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Not necessary to have been in the industry in order to be eligible for a grant for an EV grant, I’ve a Hackney licence which I obtained with a seven year old car , you must hold a licence prior to applying for the EV grant and can’t own the EV prior to being approved for the grant

the biggest obstacle is the No tinted rear windows rule as most EV,s appear to have tinted windows , we have a situation where the NTA ( who make the RTB look competent) has EVs on their eligible list for a grant yet the same approved cars often have tinted windows which make them ineligible upon inspection

as for insurance, I paid 3900 for insurance on a local area Hackney and I’m mid forties

Do you reckon if i was to get a hackney licence and turn my old avensis into a hackney i could trade it in for an EV and get the full 25k grant.

Did you trade in your 7year old car for an ev and did you get the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

A new entrant must apply for a license using a car less than ten years old, I bought a VW Jetta ( awful pig of a thing ) to acquire the license and then applied for the eSPSV grant, wasn’t difficult to get grant approval but getting the licence took ages , the NTA are a shockingly awful body to deal with, incredibly dopey and often completely ignorant of their own rules

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dubwat

If you do go through the whole process to get a cheap EV, it will be assumed part of your income will come from being a self-employed taxi driver and you'll have to file a tax return each year. If you enter zero, that might attract the attention of Revenue.

I guess the taxi door stickers will be a giveaway but if you have a PAYE 'day-job' that involves driving, you'll have to tell your employer that you are a taxi driver...

11. (1) Where a person who makes an application for a licence to drive a small public service vehicle is engaged in another occupation, the person when making the application shall—

(a) inform the licensing authority of this fact and the nature of the occupation and, if employed by another, the name and principal business address of the employer, and

(b) where the other occupation involves driving a vehicle, show to the satisfaction of the licensing authority, that he or she has informed in writing any employer of his or hers connected with that occupation, of his or her intention to make an application for the licence.

(2) Where the holder of a licence to drive a small public service vehicle becomes engaged in another occupation, the person shall—

(a) inform in writing the licensing authority of this fact and the nature of the employment and, if employed by another, the name and principal business address of the employer, and

(b) where the other occupation involves driving a vehicle, show to the satisfaction of the licensing authority, that he or she has informed in writing any employer of his or hers connected with that other occupation, that he or she is the holder of a licence to drive a small public service vehicle and carries on the business of driving a small public service vehicle for hire or reward.

(3) Subsection (1)(b) or (2)(b) does not apply to a vehicle used solely in connection with agricultural activities on a farm.

(4) A person who fails to inform the licensing authority of the information required under this section or gives such information to the licensing authority knowing it to be false or misleading commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a class A fine.

Thats funny, A lads i worked with in my old job he worked Monday to Friday with us and did his taxi at the weekends. Has is taxi was parked in carpark in work, a big multinational company, no one said notting and he never got in trouble for it.

• Advertisement

As with everything, nobody says anything until something goes wrong.

Same if you look outside many Garda stations and fire stations.

Also, you can’t right off the cost of the car unless you’re earning. So you’d have to work it.

Advertisement